CR 65ft first and matching brake 3rds.

Caley Jim

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Same here, Jerry. Its painting then that takes the time for me. Much rather build wagons, as my stock inventory will testify! 

(Still haven't started the lettering!) 

Jim 

Painting a problem - my SDJR and MR local rakes. They've been like this for some time....!

Jerry

IMG_6879.JPG.2def75fc670fcab5a728ad1da4c7e360.JPG

20200611_163312.jpg.08f54432de67c9020e74dc1a73c4ee58.jpg

• Like 9

Well, on Tuesday evening I bit the bullet and started the lettering.  It went surprisingly well, to the extent that it was all done in an hour or so (yellow with a touch of red in it).  This was in no small way helped by the very fine brush (Artmaster Micro Detail Series 25 size 10/0) in a set of 6 I got for £5.00 at this year's Model Rail.  I can't recommend these brushes highly enough.  They keep their shape and points much better than any of the artist brushes (Rowney, Windsor & Newton, etc) I've had in the past.  (Usual disclaimer)  Yesterday evening the red shading went just as well in a similar time, along with finishing the crests.  The latter owe more to Impressionism than Realism, but from a distance look OK, at least to my eye anyway.

1767330059_21lettered.JPG.3f4dada5bed6c443d61e204b632ff655.JPG

There's still a bit of touching up to do on the beading, but before that I'll try and scrape thin line of paint off the inner edge of the beading round the lower panel to form the gold edge line.   Then I've 18 grab and door handles to make and fit!

Jim

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've now taken this coach as far as I can until the other bits for the bogie arrive, which should be in the next couple of weeks (postal workers union permitting).  The grab and door handles have been added, as has the glazing, and the roof glued in place.  this then allowed me to sort out the handrails on the step end and attach their top ends to the roof.

1731719311_23bodyfinished.JPG.749a8f8b01e8cb7d1e7e7c6157341f2e.JPG

The footboards will be touched up when I'm painting the bogies.

Jim

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Well, I've now taken this coach as far as I can until the other bits for the bogie arrive, which should be in the next couple of weeks (postal workers union permitting).  The grab and door handles have been added, as has the glazing, and the roof glued in place.  this then allowed me to sort out the handrails on the step end and attach their top ends to the roof.

1731719311_23bodyfinished.JPG.749a8f8b01e8cb7d1e7e7c6157341f2e.JPG

The footboards will be touched up when I'm painting the bogies.

Jim

what a handsome vehicle, lovely work Jim,

Jerry

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The sheet of etches from PPD arrived this morning (delayed two days through the postal strike!).  That has allowed me to add the secondary suspension parts to the bogies which I forgot to put on the trial etch.

1546514693_24bogiesfinished.JPG.d3c83f163d49c97b86311dd2f9070793.JPG

These can now get a good clean and will then get painted.

Jim

• Like 12

The bogies were given a spray of black from a rattle can, then a thin coat of 'almost black' (matt black with a touch of grey in it).  I also spent a couple of evenings painting 18 sets of wheels (for this and the two brake thirds), so, with the bogies fitted back on and the footboards painted this one's done!

1510146696_26completed.JPG.c23ff086ca8354f3cd613894a5f9cb71.JPG

While waiting on the etches coming I had made up the ends for the brake thirds, formed the turn-under on the sides and fettled the buffers.  batch building of the bogies is now underway.

Jim

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

Progress report on the Brake 3rds.  Four bogies built and as mentioned above four ends assembled (apart from handrails) and four side with the turn-under created.

1372137980_Brakethirds1.JPG.4d87bf1b2777458807b492207e8acfec.JPG

The floor sections are also bent up ready to receive the solebars and stepboards.

A merry Christmas to you all.

Xmas.jpg.e0853f3ac0364dcc9978710ff01b6495.jpg

• Like 9

• Caley Jim changed the title to CR 65ft first and matching brake 3rds.

End of Year report.

The bodies for the brake 3rds have been assembled, buffers and coupling hooks fitted, bogie mounts fitted and bogies attached.

1480006263_27Brake3rds1.JPG.d55c4beeb7be74c422b661442057c277.JPG

There are still some pieces of styrene to fitted for the electrical sockets and alarm gear plus fitting the Westinghouse and steam heating pipes. The tops of the step end handrails have just been Blu-tacked to the inside of the ends as before.

Now for the truss rods and battery boxes.  I'm going to try soldering a length of guitar string behind the truss rods to see if that makes them less vulnerable to distortion.

A Guid New Year tae yin an' a' when it comes!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Soldering 10thou guitar string behind the truss rods has made them pretty much rigid, so it will take some real clumsy handing to distort them!   They and the battery boxes have been fitted and then i turned my attention to the Westinghouse and steam heat pipes.  I had been mulling over how they could be modelled as if they were connected together between the first and the brake thirds.  I eventually settled on bringing them out to the centre line , just below the coupling hook, so that they would look to the casual observer that they were connected.  I dismissed the idea of trying to make a semi-permanent rigid coupling which would simulate the pipes as this would have to be pivoted on each bogie.  The 1st has a 8thou p/b wire loop attached to the bogie and lying just below the pipes.  The brake 3rd has a similarly positioned vertical hook which engages in the loop allowing a gap of c1mm between the buffers and pipes when pulling.

391509236_28pipes.JPG.0abb479b61f2ab9eb388576fb0b7c10e.JPG

The hook could do with being a little more vertical, but that's easy to fix.  They will pull happily over the crossover on my test track, but propelling is a no-no as, even with the oval buffers, buffer locking occurs.   I don't anticipate that they will be propelled in any case.  I think the small gap will not be too noticeable when they are running.

Now to do the same at the other end of the 1st and the inner end of the other brake 3rd.

Jim

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned above, painting coaches is a slow business for me as I like to use several thin coats.  The main body colours are now done on the brake 3rds, though the beading could do with a little touching up.

142353719_29train1.JPG.829b7885b4bb19060413e5f7b2648e5c.JPG

Since taking the photo last evening the footboards have been painted and this evening I started on the lettering.  I thought I would be doing well to get the basic yellow on one side of each coach, however i seemed to be on a roll and managed to get both sides of them done.  Red shading to do tomorrow evening.

Although this train will have the fewest vehicles of any of my passenger trains, it will be dimensionally the longest!  These sets had accommodation for 72 first class and 160 third class passengers.  On Saturdays they were strengthened by the addition of a 68ft 11 compartment third accommodating a further 110.

Jim

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got the two brake thirds as far as I can until I get the roofs for them.  i have had a couple of roofs printed by a fellow member of the Forth and Clyde Area Group, but there are some issues with the CAD to be sorted out.  Lettering completed, grab and door handles added, varnished, rudimentary interior added ,glazed and AJs fitted at the brake ends.

1387103805_31B3rdspainted1.JPG.9d5bad8e70b4a443762df8ba1d214af6.JPG

2019375269_32B3rdspainted2.JPG.8dc5318bfaa6576257285ee3ac93f8b9.JPG

Jim

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 1 month later...