Stockport & District Railway Modellers - Clubroom Open Day 2023

NunneyCastle5029

Stockport & District Railway Modellers are back with their annual club room open day

Saturday 13th May 2023

10.30 - 4.00

A selection of club and club members layouts will be on show, along side a couple of local traders, club info and sales stand plus some light refreshments.

Further layout and trader info to follow!

Contact and event details:

The Scout Hut

Cartwright Street

Newton

Hyde

SK14 4FH

0161 494 2738

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Quick update for the Club Open Day!

Confirmed layouts:

Middleton Road - Our own club OO gauge layout, thats just got onto the circuit in the last year or so, it has recently attended both New Mills and Preston Shows

Rethlow - This years visiting layout, N Gauge and depeicts a modern image railway town somewhere in the north of england alongside a transport musieum and a busy container base

Monyash - The clubs very first layout  (built C1976) will be on static display prior to its scenic restoration

More Layouts to follow

Trade wise we have North Western Models - suppliers of detailing kits and accessories, a regular attendee at most north west area shows

plus the clubs sales stand

Light refreshments will be available

Entry is by donation with all funds going to the club

srdm 23.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The Monyash layout takes me back to 1976. I was one of the three founder members of the Stockport and District model railway club. The club was originally set up by Garth Arnold with Charlie Warm and myself as the third participant. I don't know what happened to Garth but Charlie died about 10 years ago. 

The Monyash layout was originally built and owned by Geraint Hughes ( Middlepeak of this parish ) who donated the layout to the club. It was originally a small end to end layout before it was turned in a round one so that it could be exhibited.  I remember going to the Wigan show with it sometime about 1978. 

I built the station building on it with a few small yard buildings amongst other things. 

I will visit in May for the open day and remember times gone past.

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This evening we will be getting all set up for our Open Day tomorrow

Layouts will include:

Middleton Road - OO

Keskinerainen - G

Rethlow - N

The Village - 009

Monyash - OO

Plus demo, trade and club sales stands, Light refreshments also available

The scout hut has level access for those with mobility issues, limited parking is available at the scout hut, and we ask that visitors who do park on Cartwright street leave driveways clear for residents.

Photo from previous open day

Visitors 1.jpg

• Like 1

Massive thanks to everyone who came along to our Open Day today, we really hope you enjoyed it.

We meet at the Scout Hut, Cartwright Street, Newton, Hyde, SK14 4FH every Wednesday evening 7.30 - 10 and are always open to visitors and those who may want to join us

Kevin / Mike,

Only just seen this. Hope your open day went well. Interesting to hear that Monyash is still in existence. I started out with a layout called Arbor Low, which was inspired by Parsley Hay, and was exhibited at the Manchester show in the early 70s. The club then decided to extend it with a second station at Monyash and it was exhibited at one or two shows in the north-west in that format.

I'd be interested to see any pictures that you have of it in its current guise. Memories!

Regards,

Geraint

• Like 1

Hi Geraint,

Fantastic to hear from you!

The open day went very well thanks, with lots of visitors and some good funds raised for the club. I've recently under taken some restoration type work on Monyash based of old photos we have of it, this has included a new road sign which has a nod to its past pointing the way to Arbour Low, other works include putting the correct midland fencing back on the station, replacing the broken telegraph poles, building new signals and a number of other scenic works. theres still a way to go on the station and goods yard boards but at least its still here and now starting to look more presentable again. Sadly the Arbour Low section was lost many years ago and certainly before i joined the club in 2000.

cheers

Kevin

20230510_213841.jpg

20230510_213847.jpg

20230510_213901.jpg

20230510_213909.jpg

20230510_213916.jpg