Heljan ES1 exclusive for Locomotion and Rails of Sheffield

AY Mod

Absolutely stunning model and one I'm surprised that didn't come sooner, but I will comment on the price too, that does seem a little steep for a model that has considerable appeal and a wide range of liveries, it's as much as the Bachmann Fairlies have been and those have a more limited scope even with the growth of 009. I will probably still obtain one though. But come on Heljan, be a little brave and do it in BR Blue with small yellow panels!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What a surprise. Such an unusual engine. That price though, ouch! I guess it’s quite a small production run with two variants and complex parts (pantograph), with no certainty of a second run. Hence the £220. I really really want one, but I’m definitely going to have to sleep on it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Player of trains said:

but I will comment on the price too, that does seem a little steep for a model that has considerable appeal and a wide range of liveries, it's as much as the Bachmann Fairlies

Is it the same size market though? It’s still a pretty niche loco as only two were built. The Fairlies have a similar number of liveries and more options  if you ignore the size discrepancy of DLG compared to the rest there are far more options for their base tooling than these. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Really interesting choice and a very nice model. I reckon it'll sell well, even if I suspect a lot of people won't bother installing catenary to justify its presence. The price is high, but considering the detail and the fact that it's another National Collection model, I don't think it's out of line - I'd say it represents better value than some other recent releases, in fact.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Fredo said:

can you tell me which year the loco 26500 was repainted from BR Black to its final livery.

Probably June 1961. This date is disputed. I'm chuffed Heljan is doing this but I'd imagine the production is completed if it's delivery afore Christmas. I hope the livery has been corrected from what I assume is a pre-prod model in the phots above?

P

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HonestTom said:

Really interesting choice and a very nice model. I reckon it'll sell well, even if I suspect a lot of people won't bother installing catenary to justify its presence.

Probably easier to install the third rail or just have a J72 or Class 03/04 shunter moving it around.

• Like 2

“It’s electric. Jim. but not as we know it.” An 84 would have been nice because it might lead to other ALs. Nevertheless, an excellent choice and nice to see something which isn’t yet another duplicate. It had a very limited sphere of operation but, like Ben, I’m interested in stuff of historical significance. That’s a furlong of my money on the way out!

• Like 5

It looks very pretty and whilst there seems to be a view that the price is high, against current product prices, it doesn't seem out of order but I do wonder if there's enough of a market out there? Its in the same boat as the Met' electrics in my book, an attractive prototype but a prototype that had a very restricted operating area and will only have wider appeal as a "showcase" model.

I'll wish Heljan every success with this one, but its not top of my shopping list I'm afraid.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Well it's one I long ago suggested to Locomotion as a good candidate for a model so I have obviously ordered one - I wonder if it might arrive in time for Christmas?  

The only problem I have is that having ordered the Locomotion NER liveried version I don't having anything suitable to run with it (or indeed anywhere suitable to run it but Trafalgar Yard could be condensed down although wagons will be the bigger problem.   As I saw 26500 at work in its natural habitat that might have been a bit more sensible but there we are - I can't really afford two of something which is well outside my mainstream interest and I prefer to support Locomotion with my purchase.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Nice. I wonder if I can get a discount for guessing correctly? 😀

But not difficult if you take a look online at the Shildon stock.This one was always going to be in the catalogue.But quite a number of us turn aside from the fact that Locomotion sponsor only those that belong in their collection. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RANGERS said:

It looks very pretty and whilst there seems to be a view that the price is high, against current product prices, it doesn't seem out of order but I do wonder if there's enough of a market out there? Its in the same boat as the Met' electrics in my book, an attractive prototype but a prototype that had a very restricted operating area and will only have wider appeal as a "showcase" model.

I'll wish Heljan every success with this one, but its not top of my shopping list I'm afraid.

I realise its sphere of operation was rather more limited but when you consider the latter day area of operation of Beattie Well Tanks they seem to have sold very well for a loco few people knew but - like ES1 - were unusual and pretty.    I suspect that  its prettiness and novelty will help sell it and it looks to have 'captured' the prototype very well indeed.

BTW I've an idea that the overhead was not catenary but tramway type although obviously it's an awful long time since I saw it.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And an NER first in OO for Locomotion NRM.I believe. The price is what it is and not out of synch with current trends.

About time! I am agreeing about the price, given the likes of new class 47's etc.. and that given price rises to come this will not seem so out of place. 

Hopefully someone at Rails or Locomotion notices that nice little tank engine at York, or the late NER monster in Head of Steam at Darlington... 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Well it's one I long ago suggested to Locomotion as a good candidate for a model so I have obviously ordered one - I wonder if it might arrive in time for Christmas?  

The only problem I have is that having ordered the Locomotion NER liveried version I don't having anything suitable to run with it (or indeed anywhere suitable to run it but Trafalgar Yard could be condensed down although wagons will be the bigger problem.   As I saw 26500 at work in its natural habitat that might have been a bit more sensible but there we are - I can't really afford two of something which is well outside my mainstream interest and I prefer to support Locomotion with my purchase.

Er…me too.

• Like 3