Rapido OO Gauge Y7

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

This is excellent news! I've been thinking of building a little layout based on the North Sunderland, and have some Hattons Genesis coaches for coaching stock. I was going to use a J72 (masquerading as a J71), but this is even better!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jamieb said:

I'd predicted this coming from Accurascale to complement the chaldrons 

I wonder how the guy trying to sell the Connoisseur kit on eBay for £200 feels about this? 

Probably ok actually - there’s up to a two year wait, and consequently someone who’s never really thought about it before but likes the look of the announcement might now say ‘I’ll buy the kit’ - got about 6 months to shift it though realistically at that price.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is a lovely idea. The NER livery, particularly, looks tempting. And I reckon there’ll find a home on many a micro layout. 

I do wonder if Rapido have missed a trick by not announcing a 2023-standard model of the Drummond Pug AKA ‘Smokey Joe’ though!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

25 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Two are preserved and they are doing one of them in the first batch. No doubt the other will follow later.

Thanks. I merrily scrolled past the NER livery as I'd got it fixed in my brain the preserved NER-liveried one was a Y8... In which case, are any of these numbers locos that visited outside the NE in the modelled livery?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For someone who doesn't even have diplomatic relations with the LNER, the Captain is more than pleased to see this one announced.

However, I am somewhat disappointed that they didn't announce one in the livery of the Vale of Radnor Light Railway. Another re-spray beckons, I suppose.

But I'll definitely have one, maybe another one (in NCB livery) if they can be easily converted to P4.

And Mr Dubya - don't worry about finding a reason for one of these in the West Country - just instantly invent an outrageously improbably Light Railway and there you go!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

For someone who doesn't even have diplomatic relations with the LNER

You will always be made welcome at our embassy. (No. 6 Imperial Street, Brizol. Contact the secretary to Ambassador, Henry Overton Wills for an appointment).

Prior to full entry, you will of course, first have to undergo a full body search to ensure no Brunel type fireboxes are being smuggled.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 49395 said:

I wonder if this could eventually lead to a 3rd axle and a H2/J79?

Hope so. I have built both in O gauge from the Jim McGeown kits. Sadly O gauge locos have been sold, love to have one of each in OO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, micklner said:

I have built a Connessieur 4mm version , lovely little kit. Not worth £200 however !!  I doubt if I will ever need another one.

A Y8 would have been much prefered to replace my ancient  K's version.

Wonder if that listing might drop in price a bit now. Probably not.

• Funny 1

Certainly will be some nice looking models, but have to query if the information about allocations to St Margaret's shed and use at Leith Docks is not being confused with the North British Y9's? 

As far as I'm aware, none of the Y7's reached Edinburgh.  Happy to be proven otherwise, as that could mean a reason to purchase one! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JonathonAG said:

Certainly will be some nice looking models, but have to query if the information about allocations to St Margaret's shed and use at Leith Docks is not being confused with the North British Y9's? 

As far as I'm aware, none of the Y7's reached Edinburgh.  Happy to be proven otherwise, as that could mean a reason to purchase one! 

One did make it to Scotland and was also tried in Dundee harbour, it was found unsuited and the Y 9’s were only ousted when diesels came in 

It did do better than the Sentinel Y 1 which was tried and taken away due to its spark emitting qualities and the large quantities of inflammable raw jute handled at that time   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely interested in the North Sunderland one. Given that it was transferred in 1944, it must have appeared in LNER livery too. But what number? Obviously just before nationalisation it was 8089, but before that? I think 1944 is probably too early for the Thompson renumbering.

Memo to @rapidotrains: I'd buy a DCC sound version if you're doing one, but only if it has stay-alive (the same applies to the 04, for that matter) — otherwise it will be DC.

Hopefully the cuteness factor will make it a success!

• Like 1

Y7 useage.

Info from RCTS Volume.

1914-1918 war period M.O.D use no exact dates shown.

129 . 587 . 895 . Royal Arsenal Woolwich

1799.                Kyle of Lochalsh

1798                 Barnbow Leeds

985    to  Stratford  6/1948 and sold on same month.

986    loaned to Neasden 1925/1926 no exact dates shown.

986    6 month trial at Leith Docks  June/Dec 1935.

986    North Sunderland Railway  on hire 1945 no exact dates shown.

986    now BR number.     ditto            ditto     1948 to 1951.

Number sold on for private use at various dates.

Nothing mentioned re Darlington Works useage,  I have never seen that type of Livery layout before on any LNER Loco i.e Curved shape to the lettering.

Edited by micklner
  • Informative/Useful 5