Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

• Moderators

Slide157.JPG

Superseding Hornby's HM6000 control system there will now be a HM7000 Bluetooth control system a new range of sound (now branded as TXS Triplex sound - so named because it can play three sound simultaneously) and non-sound Bluetooth decoders and stay-alives are announced with accessories to integrate with existing DCC systems.

Slide160.JPG

Slide162.JPG

Slide161.JPG

The customer buys the 'blank' sound decoder and downloads and installs the appropriate sound file to the decoder.

Slide163.JPG

Slide164.JPG

Non -sound

Slide166.JPG

Slide167.JPG

Slide165.JPG

Slide169.JPG

Example diagrams.

Slide170.JPG

Slide171.JPG

Slide172.JPG

Slide173.JPG

Slide174.JPG

Slide175.JPG

Slide176.JPG

Slide177.JPG

Slide178.JPG

Late price changes compared to those noted above.

image.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

This is probably the most interesting thing in the whole release.  If they get the software right.  Plug and and play sound and stay alive no messing about with soldering.  Might be Hornby taking DCC seriously finally.

It's  all down to pricing and implementation.  If they price the system at a premium it needs to be comparable to the premium systems.   My worry is it will be a budget system sold at a premium rate.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

The use of mini plugs everywhere and sugarcube speakers and enclosures supplied with the decoders is great for the beginner.

Wireles upgrades potentially very interesting if they supply a wider range of sounds. I notice the current list does not include any GWR locos.

Edit: Just realised: Wireless reading and writing of CVs coiuld be a big step forward if my understanding is correct because there's then no need for a programming track and presumably it bypasses that ancient system of working the motor backwards and forwards as part of the reading process.

Hopefully, there will also be an Android version of the App.

But "XXX sounds" with "creep mode"? Maybe someone should have thought about the product name a bit more.

Edited by Harlequin
Realised what wireless CV reading writing actually means!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The use of mini plugs everywhere and sugarcube speakers and enclosures supplied with the decoders is great for the beginner.

Wireles upgrades potentially very interesting if they supply a wider range of sounds. I notice the current list does not include any GWR locos.

Hopefully, there will also be an Android version of the App.

But "XXX sounds" with "creep mode"? Maybe someone should have thought about the product name a bit more.

There's no android version?  That seems a bit of an oversight

22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Superseding Hornby's HM6000 control system

The use of the word "superseding" rather than "alongside" seems to be saying that the HM6000 is being dropped. I hope this is not the case. I  have used the HM6000 system for over a year on both N & OO layouts and found it as good a analogue control system as any hardware based system. I was looking to increase my use this year with some point controls.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Personally I have zero interest in sound, but I recognize many love sound and for those people this is a brilliant development. I think this is the most significant part of the whole package of announcements. Hornby have a much better pedigree in digital control than generally credited, I still remember Zero One, my boy and I used Railmaster on our trainset and their low cost sound system opened up sound to a new audience. This continues that tradition, well done them on this one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

Now this looks very good. 

wonder if i could Bluetooth some tunes through the speaker form my iphone! 😀

Well you could get the coronation scot to play the coronation scot but I expect the storage on the sound chip will limit how long the sound can be

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

interesting

so $50,000 question, do the new decoders also function as regular DCC decoders? 

I guess you can use the legacy dongle to control non bluetooth decoders with the new app, if this is the case then I can see me upgrading to a Z21 - but then the Z21 has it's own wifi app ......

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

So have i got to use the HM7000 control unit? Say i want to buy a sound decoder to fit into an existing loco - its not a case of installing it and away you go as its blank. So i need there unit to write the files to the decoder?

Surely the file is sent via Bluetooth? I think the Legacy Dongle (is this what you mean by 'control unit'?) plugs into regular DCC controllers so you can control non-Bluetooth (Bluetoothless?) DCC locos from the app.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if this system shares similar chipsets / underlying design technology to the 'Blunami' system, which does the DCC/loco control over Bluetooth thing if I've read their blurb correctly.

https://soundtraxx.com/blunami

The one interesting Hornby announcement for me this year anyway, this looks like an impressive system

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1