Outon Road

RBE

Well I've today made some headway into starting my 2010 challenge layout. Its basically a micro layout (4ft x 1ft 4ins) with cassettes to each end. It's going to portray a small urban station with sidings beside it which are in fact the loco stabling point and special wagon (damaged wagons waiting repair/short engineers trains etc) storage for a much lager facility off scene.

Very simple track design of a single track main line with 2 sidings which come off of a passing loop which is off scene, which will make for interesting shunting given the off scene track layout which would have to be taken into account when planning manuvers with of course passenger workings mixed in.

I'll post some piccies of progress when I take some. The layout name reflects the small nature of the layout which could be said to be able to be kept Outon Road when not in use!!laugh.gif I really just wanted to build something while I get the loft done and it will be nicer to be able to photograph my stock on a nice layout than an old draw front with track on!!

More to come

Cav

• 1 month later...

Well heres a few progress shots. I must say I do find it hard to document model building. I get too carried away modelling to take photos and post em!! The layout is my first foray into DCC which I must say is really good. Simple flexible play with even simpler wiring. I don't think I'll go back to DC anytimr soon. Plus I'm hoping to get some sound on here so thats gotta be a plus.

The layout has been made pretty much as a box. Once finished Ill fit a removeable lid and lighting across the front. The exits are left and right and will enter interchangable double track cassettes when I've built them. I'm concentrating on the modelling for now. The track is down and all wired up. The points are operated by mini servos mounted under the board. As the layout is tiny I didn't go for any fancypants electronics with them. I ust stripped em back and powered them directly off of 3v. Anyway photo update, I'll be back with some scenic shots soon.

Cav.

post-6894-128095172292_thumb.jpg

post-6894-128095173387_thumb.jpg

post-6894-128095175014_thumb.jpg

post-6894-128095177077_thumb.jpg

post-6894-128095178257_thumb.jpg

post-6894-128095179682_thumb.jpg

post-6894-128095180842_thumb.jpg

post-6894-128095181573_thumb.jpg

Well I've today made some headway into starting my 2010 challenge layout. Its basically a micro layout (4ft x 1ft 4ins) with cassettes to each end. It's going to portray a small urban station with sidings beside it which are in fact the loco stabling point and special wagon (damaged wagons waiting repair/short engineers trains etc) storage for a much lager facility off scene.

Very simple track design of a single track main line with 2 sidings which come off of a passing loop which is off scene, which will make for interesting shunting given the off scene track layout which would have to be taken into account when planning manuvers with of course passenger workings mixed in.

Hi Cav

I like the idea of a small layout with 'off scene' elements it gives the feeling of something bigger. I am trying that format with my 2010 layout North Marsh Road.

I am right in think that this is OO? And what era are you planning to model?

I am planning to use foam for the landscape and I am curious to know what you have used to create yours?

I shall be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Regards

Paul

Yeah I think when you're pushed for space it can be quite a challenge (I'm a stickler for wanting longer trains. The 2ft cassettes are gonna hurt!!). When the lofts done I'll be able to do my big thing but for now this is fun.

I like my layouts to feel real and the action off scene thing helps as you say, gives you more to play with in your head. I'm adding a small branch station too so the shunting movements will be interesting slotted between DMU services. The layout is in finescale OO with handbuilt pointwork in code 80 flatbottom and pandrol clips (originally I built them for another project but fit perfect here so went for it). The wooden sleepered track in the yard is SMP bullhead (not on the pics but done now) and the concrete is code 75 Peco with the sleepers respaced. It looks pretty good I think, especially when the rails are painted.

The foam for the landscape is layered 50mm insulation board with the foil pulled off. It carves beautifully (if a bit messy) I work in the construction industry so its easy to come by.

More work now done I'll post some more pics soon.

Cav

Edit: The layout is going to be set around 1993. I remember the early 90's most favourably so wanted to go with that. Plus my big layout is going to be set around then so the stock will be interchangable. I'm toying with the idea of electrofying the brach line too so I can run my electrics, what do you think? Too much?unsure.gif

• 2 months later...

Well after a massive break due to other commitments I am now hidiously behind. I have therefore been giving it large over the last few days hoping to claw back a finished layout for the deadline. I've popped some piccies below, please ask questions give suggestions etc. enjoy!

post-6894-095320100 1286395057_thumb.jpg

Class 08 at the end of the inclined sidings (that seemed a better idea on paper!!

post-6894-084531100 1286395074_thumb.jpg

08 at the buffers, 08915 has lost its numbers this side. Need to reapply as I wasn't too happy with the pressfix I used originally

post-6894-047368300 1286395095_thumb.jpg

20 over the culvert, use was made of natural nail brush bristles for the reeds.

post-6894-062221100 1286395118_thumb.jpg

Road overbridge from high

post-6894-036789100 1286395160_thumb.jpg

Road bridge again

post-6894-051150800 1286395178_thumb.jpg

View of the culvert

TTFN

Cav

That looks stunning, You've certainly got the knack!

You've managed to get a fantastic finish, not overdone, everything seems to have been weathered in nicely.

I can't wait for some more pictures and future updates ;)

Thanks for the positive comments.

For the backscene I'm opting for a town photo backscene from ID. I intend to cover most of the bottom part of it with low relief industrial buildings and flora though so you just get a peep through to the middle distance here and there. It will then hopefully portray a little more space.

The only problem I have at the minute is what to make of the sidings/yard. As I said before it is suppose to be an headshunt/damaged rooling stock/stabling point for a bigger yard off scene under the road bridge, however I want to add a lot more interest to the area but need to think of activity that could be going on there!! Any ideas would be very welcome without ruining the atmosphere of restraint so kindly mentioned by Josh.

More pics as I progress.

Cav

Awesome progress between the bare earth shots and the new ones. I really like it, gorgeous colours everywhere, and the 08 looks magic.

Are the buffer stops Pete Harvey's etch, your own, or some other source? I need the same type for Whitemarsh and am currently contemplating scratchbuilding and then looking at my watch and fretting :)

Will

This is excellent.

As for additional siding activity, I'm featuring a mess van (an old suburban coach) at the end of one of mine that's pretty much permanantly sitting there, so various bits of clutter and permananently steps up to the doors, etc. Might add a bit of visual interest to the scene...?

Great scenics though, the backscene should finish it off nicely.

Why not use them as marshalling sidings for the bigger yard the other side of the bridge, to put stock in thats being shuffled in and out of the larger yard, to be switched trains etc, or to assemble a small train?

Thanks for the comments guys.

Will, the buffer stops are scratch built by soldering up from code 75 bullhead rail with thin (think it was 10 thou, it was bits in my scrap box so not 100% sure) plasticard cosmetic connection plates. The rivet detail was added by pushing a blunt pin into the reverse side to create a bump on the visible side. The plate were then just superglued onto the rails. The construction of both (which I did simultainiously) only took about 2 hours max. I then painted them whilst in situ on the layout to help blend the rust colour to the overall tone of the scenics.

As for the interest in the sidings. The original idea was to use them as a kind of mini headshunt/shuffling yard as you say Josh but I kind of don't really have an excuse for none train activity if its just that. such as people walking around doing stuff. As for a grounded coach I don't really have the room, space is very tight as you can see from the rusty old vw. I definately need some kind of portacabin or small brick office type of thing though with associated clutter. I just need the reason for it to be there. I thought about a sort of makeshift wagon repair thing, basically a guy with a shed for an office and an arc welding kit! But not sure how likely that would be. Lots of excuse for wagon/loco parts laying about though. Also thought maybe just a small office for drivers to kick back while they wait for their train to be marshalled down the road in the big yard, idea being that it is a fair walk to the main facilities, if the stay is pretty short they can relax a bit rather than sitting in the cab. Again though is it likely? Plus some staff would be good so think it needs to be more than a tea shed.

Cav

Will, the buffer stops are scratch built by soldering up from code 75 bullhead rail with thin (think it was 10 thou, it was bits in my scrap box so not 100% sure) plasticard cosmetic connection plates

Thanks for the description Cav, they look really good, I'll see if I can make some for my project, time permitting :)

Will

No problem Will. How many do you have to make? It goes pretty fast if you do them each step at a time with every buffer stop rather than finishing each one before starting the next. Not really much longer to do three or four than 1 really.

I didn't realise what you meant Dave. That is interesting. Something worth considering in future but I just don't really have the siding length to do it. I would be sacrificing shunting room. Which is really the mainstay for a micro layout. Its only 4ft by 1.5ft. without the fiddle yards/hidden sidings.

As for progress I've added the backscenes now so need to really get cracking on the low relief stuff. Not too sure whether my idea for hiding the right hand fiddle yard is going to work now the scenes are on!! I originally planned a 45° bridge over the very end of the station heading off past the rail side (supposedly) of a low relief industrial building to the end elevation and behind the low relief building to the back. Now I'm going to have a load of sky where the road is going and I'm not sure how to diguise it. As the layout will be high and covered the viewing angle should be low, but not sure if it will be low enough to make the raod look like it dips away behind the buildings. Need to build like mad now!!

Cav

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this and I have to say - lovely.

I'd not worry about adding any interest to those front sidings - why bother - it looks beautifully restrained at the moment and the quality of your repaints/weathering/detailed stock are the visual interest. The scenics are subtle but very well executed and the colours blend together perfectly. Awesome work and I look forward to seeing some snaps as she's finished off!

Well progress has been made since the last post. There's still a bit to do. So anyway here's few updated shots. I was able to take advantage of the morning sun today. Again have a look and ask questions/make suggestions as you see fit.

post-6894-084928000 1287754061_thumb.jpg

08915 now with screw links

post-6894-031426100 1287754093_thumb.jpg

Class 20 whistles at the signal nose first

post-6894-042394800 1287754124_thumb.jpg

Class 20 on engineers again

post-6894-025423600 1287754151_thumb.jpg

Class 20 from under the road by the station

post-6894-035395700 1287754190_thumb.jpg

post-6894-007491400 1287754234_thumb.jpg

A little out of period, Class 66 at the signal

post-6894-067650500 1287754265_thumb.jpg

Class 150 waits at Outon Road

post-6894-036539600 1287754302_thumb.jpg

Another view of the 150 as it pauses at the station

post-6894-084082200 1287754346_thumb.jpg

View across the yard as 150 picks up

post-6894-084772700 1287754385_thumb.jpg

High angle view over Outon

post-6894-068365300 1287754420_thumb.jpg

Another high shot

post-6894-004240300 1287754693_thumb.jpg

Track workers discuss their next move. All of the track folk have a wire fitted into the bottom of one of their feet allowing them to be positioned a any number of pre drilled holes dotted around the trackwork for added variety.

post-6894-091697400 1287754729_thumb.jpg

View across yard

post-6894-059870700 1287754773_thumb.jpg

Overview of yard entrance

post-6894-079023900 1287754813_thumb.jpg

Engineers discuss shunter duties

post-6894-025497200 1287754856_thumb.jpg

Old VW at the yard entrance

post-6894-092250200 1287754888_thumb.jpg

I like it even without trains

Should be done soon. Wonder if I have time to build the fiddle yards before the deadline.

Cheers

Cav

Cheers for the positive reviews chaps. There is still quite a bit of detail to add but she's getting there. I also need to paint the bare wood at the front of the layout black and build fiddle yards and lighting. Not sure all that will be done for the deadline though. As long as the scenics and electrics are finished I'll be happy. She runs and the point servos work but none of the lighting is wired up as yet.

I'm actually now quite interested in showing it when its finished so if anyone has room at their show for a small 10ft x 15 inch (including fiddle yards) mid 90's layout please let me know!

Anyway back to the plot. Richard the signals are Berko two aspect. I usually scratch build my signals but really didn't have time on this with the delay in starting. I had to knock up a quick route indicator for the main signal as the shop didn't stock any with route indicators on (it was a standard two aspect). It suited me though as it meant I could do something a bit different, my route indicator isn't the same type as the berko one. I have to say though that the new Berko signals aren't too bad at all.

Cheers

Cav

Archived