Outon Road

RBE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Cav,

I got to this from Andy's topic on improving peco track - I love your pictures - happy to respace sleepers on regular track but dont think have time/skill to do it on the points - have you respaced sleepers on the points in these photos?

Thanks

Tim

No the points on Outon Road are scratch built using C&L componants and some copperclad sleepers under the frog. Its far easier to build from scratch than mess around with respacing RTR pointwork. Plus you get the added bonus of flowing pointwork. Building your own points is far easier than you would think as most of the work is just gluing chairs to sleepers. I like to use copper cladd strip in the crossing v for strength though, soldered to the rails. These points were made for around 3 or 4 quid all in which is very cheap even compared to even say peco. You can pick up kits from C&L or Exactoscale which have all the hard bits done for you but you pay heavy for it. If you need any further advice please ask.

Cheers

Cav

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why thank you very much Mr Miles, I'm glad that the layout was a pleasing to watch as it was to operate, it performed pretty much faultlessly over the two days. Did you stop and have chat? I spoke to so many people over the weekend that the missus did most of the driving!!

• 3 months later...

Excellent layout was looking forward to this at the DEMU - took on board a few ideas if you dont mind - esp the inclined sidings - When you extend - can the International Models backscene be dropped back to give the warehouses / factory more depth? - Ian

Thanks for the positive review. I have no problem with people borrowing ideas. Thats what its all about, inspiring others. As for the backscene, i cant move it back as its part of the baseboard structure. I dont think it needs to really though as whatever i have as low relief is still going to be short of a real full depth building. The difference is only a matter of an inch or so. The destruction would outweigh the gains i feel. It works well enough as is i think. The background scenics on the extension will be a little deeper though as i should hopefully have more room. Maybe choose obstructions to line of sight etc too.

Cheers

Cav

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cav,

Having seen the main layout thread, I've just looked through this one having tracked it down on the 2010 challenge section.

I really like what you have done on the scenic board in such a small space. With my previous plans for such a layout when I wanted to build it in EM I didn't think it would work, but I like how you've shown that it can.

I hope you'll keep us all posted on it's progress, and I'm looking forward to seeing it with an extension.

Cheers

Archived