The Burtonport Extension of the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway

In April 2023 we stayed close to Burtonport, adjacent to Loch Meela, in Co. Donegal. On the first full day of our stay, we walked the Burtonport Old Railway Walk. A 6km length of the Burtonport extension of the Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway has been made into an accessible path. The weather was great and the walk very enjoyable. We were impressed by the investment in the walk made by the local community and Donegal County Council.

The original line ran from Derry to Letterkenny and was later extended to Burtonport. ...

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2023/04/28/the-burtonport-extension-of-the-londonderry-lough-swilly-railway-part-1/

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for these articles Roger. We're going to Falcarragh on Saturday for a week's stay and I hope to explore bits of the old railway. I'm pleasantly surprised that there is still so much to see.

Graham    

• Like 1

I climbed Errigal mountain today and you can see the old railway formation in the landscape. It was a bit hazy but the line is still traceable.

This is crossing keepers cottage #16 by the N56, looking towards Gweedore.

88.jpg.55cee963290656d1bcb406cc742c56f0.jpg

The trackbed curves in from above the road and crosses it by the cottage.

And this is Cashelnagore station.

93.jpg.72773b0944884e52719715f989e519ae.jpg

The trackbed is obvious as the straight line from the NE. After passing the station it is more obscure as it curves away to the west.

Crossing keeper cottage #14. I stopped by here yesterday but the trackbed can't be seen from road level. From high up though, you can see the formation to the left of the road.

96.jpg.c4d23a87670492a8dd9b991e5fd847c6.jpg

Graham

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...