Plate girder road bridge design help

I’ve been searching high and low of a picture that shows how plate girder road bridges look from the top. Plenty of pictures from ground level looking up at them, plenty of pictures looking over the sides of them at the railway below, but I can’t for the life of me find one that shows what the actual plate girders look like on the top next to the road. The only pictures I can find are of other people’s models, which I’ve no idea if they are correct or not.

Do they just sit next to the wall as at the top of this crude diagram, or does the brick wall ‘surround’ the plate girder at the ends as I’ve drawn at the bottom?

post-7489-127849144082.jpg

If anyone can advise or, even better, point me in the direction of an online photo that would be great, thanks.

I have a very useful book called Bridges for Modellers that I picked up in a sale a few years back. That shows plate girders either inside the end piers (as per your sketch) or abutting them, with the latter being more numerous. Hope this helps.

Yes they do, that's absolutely ideal!

Thanks for all the replies, it seems there's many ways of doing it, but as usual studying the prototype is the way to go. I had a good trawl last night through the Google Map links and also that thread on old RMWeb (that I had even replied in laugh.gif ), so all useful.

Dave, I have several thousand photos of various types of bridges from one project I worked on; let me have your e-mail and Ill sort some copies out for you!

Archived