Hornby Mag August issue

westerner

• RMweb Premium

In Smiffs at Lancaster today - lots of interest - Potterbourne looks very interesting and has come over very well indeed - ISTR that the feature layout, Trenglos has been covered before, or was that in RM?

Not got my subscription copy yet, usually turns up the day before the shops have it, or the same day.

Last time it didn't arrive, I called the subs dept and was told to wait a week then call again if it still had not turned up. It didn't, so a replacement copy was sent.

Twice HM has got 'lost' before. But MR only once, and I have been a subscriber to MR for a very long time.

Annoying, but both mags put the situation right within a reasonable time frame.

EDIT: Latest HM has just been delivered, postman did the neighbours' houses before coming here, thought we had no mail!

Now for a long read!

• RMweb Premium

In Smiffs at Lancaster today - lots of interest - Potterbourne looks very interesting and has come over very well indeed - ISTR that the feature layout, Trenglos has been covered before, or was that in RM?

Hi

Treneglos has appeared before - it was in Hornby Mag's 2nd yearbook. Mike Wild asked that we write a subsequent article covering something different from the normal baseboards, track, electrics, scenery etc layout description. This article concentrates on the motive power that ran on the North Cornwall and includes a number of new photos that didn't appear in the yearbook. The yearbook has a much smaller circulation than the monthly mag and Mike was keen than the layout was seen by a larger audience.

The finished article does have some subtle changes from my submitted draft and one in particular now makes a statement which isn't true... There's a section that mentions which locos didn't run West of Exeter. My original text said this:

"Whilst looking at what did run on the NCR, it’s probably worth also mentioning which other RTR Southern locomotives didn’t or couldn’t run there:

• Bulleid’s Merchant Navy class were never known to have run west of Exeter Central due to their weight

• The rebuilds of Bulleid’s lightweight pacifics (West Country & Battle of Britain) were heavier than the originals and too heavy for the Padstow line

• Maunsell’s King Arthurs only occasionally reached Meldon Quarry"

The revised / shortened text gives the impression that rebuilt Bulleid light pacifics didn't run West of Exeter. This of course isn't true - they were eventually cleared to run on the line through Okehampton and Tavistock to Plymouth. I'm expecting a number of "dear sirs" in the September letters page correcting this!

• RMweb Gold

Since nobody else has done it, here's the contents:

Treneglos - Layout feature OO North Cornwall - 8pp

Scenes from Life - Street scenes - 6pp

Liveries of Privatisation - Express Passenger Trains - 6pp

Hatton Parkway - Building N layout Part 2 - 6pp

Beginner's Guide to Airbrushing - 6pp

Widnes Vine Yard - Layout feature 10pp

Free kit - Scalescenes narrow boat

Reality Check - The Brighton Belle - 4pp

Favourite Models - Minic Motorways - 2pp

Parker's Guide - Building GW Minks - 4pp

Potterbourne - Layout feature OO GWR - 8pp

Railway Realism - Motorail - 4pp

plus reviews, letters, etc..

• RMweb Gold

Since nobody else has done it, here's the contents:

Treneglos - Layout feature OO North Cornwall - 8pp

Scenes from Life - Street scenes - 6pp

Liveries of Privatisation - Express Passenger Trains - 6pp

Hatton Parkway - Building N layout Part 2 - 6pp

Beginner's Guide to Airbrushing - 6pp

Widnes Vine Yard - Layout feature 10pp

Free kit - Scalescenes narrow boat

Reality Check - The Brighton Belle - 4pp

Favourite Models - Minic Motorways - 2pp

Parker's Guide - Building GW Minks - 4pp

Potterbourne - Layout feature OO GWR - 8pp

Railway Realism - Motorail - 4pp

plus reviews, letters, etc..

Bit of a quiet one for you this month Ian ;) Now, how many of the 2010 challenge layouts will appear with an aquaduct with the free narrow boat kit rather than an overbridge disguising the fiddle yard entrance :lol:

Nice kit tho, will have to make it sometime, will look good on Summat Colliery :lol: :lol: :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Treneglos has appeared before - it was in Hornby Mag's 2nd yearbook.

Thanks - I knew I'd seen it before, and I did notice that it was written with a different slant.

Bought my copy today

Bit bemused by the free kit for the narrow boat - the owning company.

Is it a Wildism ?

Burrows Horton & Layton Ltd

[sounds like]

Fellows Morton & Clayton Ltd the very large canal haulage operation.

Good issue this month

Archived