Hi Vis Jackets

Hi All

To all you chaps out there who have replyed Thank you very much for the info. I did not Know that this issue was going to generate so much interest in such a short time. I only wanted to know so that I can put some figures on my China Clay layout Porth Eithin and wanted to be sure that they had the vest in the late 60's. Any way many thanks again

Peter

I only wanted to know so that I can put some figures on my China Clay layout Porth Eithin and wanted to be sure that they had the vest in the late 60's.

I wouldn't bother with vests in that case; it wasn't as common and further away management they were the less likely probably!

I think the driver and guards on here will concur that orange Hi-vis, certainly when clean, can be seen from a considerable distance on straight track in daylight and cannot be mistaken for anything else. I personally cannot comment on how well the reflective strips show up, as tail lights are not as bright as headlights.

Don't know when the wearing of orange vests came in I was 'issued' with one in 1977 when I became unnoficial assistant to the late Dick the Lamp, BR lamp man. I've still got the vest as a momento of 'easier times'....smile.gif The vests were regarded as a nuisance by purist photographers on some preserved lines in the days of trackside photographic permits, but I think they became mandatory on preserved lines before lineside permits were finally withdrawn.

• RMweb Gold

Don't know when the wearing of orange vests came in I was 'issued' with one in 1977 when I became unnoficial assistant to the late Dick the Lamp, BR lamp man. I've still got the vest as a momento of 'easier times'....smile.gif The vests were regarded as a nuisance by purist photographers on some preserved lines in the days of trackside photographic permits, but I think they became mandatory on preserved lines before lineside permits were finally withdrawn.

I know most preserved lines use them, but some don't seem to.

David

• RMweb Gold

I think the driver and guards on here will concur that orange Hi-vis, certainly when clean, can be seen from a considerable distance on straight track in daylight and cannot be mistaken for anything else. I personally cannot comment on how well the reflective strips show up, as tail lights are not as bright as headlights.

My standard training line was that many people who wear them believe they are a sort of armour which makes trains bounce off. That is not correct, but what they really do is help a Driver to see you before his train hits you.

It never ceased to amaze me just how many people thought the things made them 'safer' whereas in fact they tended to behave more dangerously by not realising that all an hv item does is give a Driver time to sound a warning when he might not otherwise see them.

Heritage railways certainly do have rules that say hi vis MUST be worn when on or about the line. Most frown at them being worn on stations as they detract from any photos the visitors may wish to take.

The RHDR staff don't wear them in stations apart from the shunter; KESR likewise, except if the duties involve going on or about the track. Loco crew don't wear then when coupling and uncoupling in stations, but guards do.

My standard training line was that many people who wear them believe they are a sort of armour which makes trains bounce off. That is not correct, but what they really do is help a Driver to see you before his train hits you.

It never ceased to amaze me just how many people thought the things made them 'safer' whereas in fact they tended to behave more dangerously by not realising that all an hv item does is give a Driver time to sound a warning when he might not otherwise see them.

When I did my initial PTS we told, in no uncertain terms, that if you get hit by a train, you die. Work on that principle and you should be fine!

I have been involved in a near miss when a lookout (a sub-contractor's, as we were going out with them on an inspection) failed to inform us of a train coming round a tight bend. Trees and traffic noise hide the approaching trains there too. Makes you think when you've had a Class 66 coming at you at 30mph and he's only a hundred yards away...

• RMweb Premium

When I did my initial PTS we told, in no uncertain terms, that if you get hit by a train, you die. Work on that principle and you should be fine!

I have been involved in a near miss when a lookout (a sub-contractor's, as we were going out with them on an inspection) failed to inform us of a train coming round a tight bend. Trees and traffic noise hide the approaching trains there too. Makes you think when you've had a Class 66 coming at you at 30mph and he's only a hundred yards away...

Your first point is very true.

As you survived in spite of your look out, I have to ask if he survived when you caught up with him???

Chris

As you survived in spite of your look out, I have to ask if he survived when you caught up with him???

There were others there too who were just as angry/shaken. Not a nice experience...

He didn't come back to any of our jobs but I don't know what else happened.

• 4 months later...

It was 1965 when BR first started trialling HiViz waistcoats. As I recall on the LMR.

If you read the minutes of the BR Board meetings from that period there was a section each month devoted to ex gratia paymenmts to the families of staff killed on duty. There were at least 3 or 4 each time and often it was getting squashed by trains.

Minutes and supporting papers available at the national Archives in Kew.

During daylight they can be seen from quite a distance away. But as a East coast driver, i can confirm that when belting along at 125mph, from the moment you see them in the distance to the moment you pass them can be VERY quick. Of a night time they can go unseen until they are right under your nose. They only work when they have light reflected off them. The headlights on 91`s HST`s mainly only being used for track workers to spot the train coming, not to allow the driver to see. So if your working on the track, wearing all the Hi vis gear you can possibly wear is not as good as a switched on lookout.............

So if your working on the track, wearing all the Hi vis gear you can possibly wear is not as good as a switched on lookout.............

Having been in a near miss after a look out failed to give sufficent warning you words are very true indeed!

Having been in a near miss after a look out failed to give sufficent warning you words are very true indeed!

Hi James. I noticed you are from East Yorkshire and i gather you work on the permanent way. If so are you on the East coast mainline at all?

Archived