Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

Settings for Portescap 1616 with Zimo MX630

newport_rod

I have a scratchbuilt 2-4-0 side tank fitted with a Portescap 1616 into which I've recently installed a Zimo MX630. Running forwards is satisfactory but a bit lumpy in reverse (it was pretty good in both directions on DC). Could anybody suggest the optimal settings for the decoder (or how to arrive at them) please? - looking at the variables via a Sprog/DecoderPro it's overwhelmingly complicated!

Having read the manuals (!) You'll find reference to settings for coreless motors, particularly two settings covering CV9 and CV56. Note the comments against CV56 for coreless motors.

Finding some of these in DecoderPro isn't as easy as I'd like it to be ( * ), they are buried on "Accel/Decel". I'm assuming you've upgraded to a recent JMRI/DecoderPro; at least 2.8 (about six months old) and ideally 2.10 (current release).

CV56 is ringed with 1, CV9 with 2. Start at 1, with a value of 100 (as advised in the manual) and also change 2 to a value of 21 or 22 (again as per manual) and experiment from there following guidance in Zimo manual.

post-3187-127944575249_thumb.jpg

My motors don't include the portescap 1616, most are smaller Faulhabers and Maxon's, so I can't give specific numbers which I know work.

(* I must have a chat with Mark about the Zimo motor files in JMRI/DecoderPro, and whether we can improve them. But there are some programming issues which limit what can be done sensibly )

Thanks Nigel, I would have guessed that you would jump to my aid.

I must admit that I had overlooked the worked examples as they appeared to be aimed at RTR equipment - I should have looked more closely and noted where other coreless motors (e.g. Faulhaber, Maxxon) were being used. Looking again, particularly at p20 of the manual (Step by step CV adjustment procedure to optimize engine performance), and seeing your screen shots makes more sense of it - I'd have struggled to identify the link between the CVs and the pages on DecoderPro. (Is this what you meant by "Finding some of these in DecoderPro isn't as easy as I'd like it to be"?)

BTW I'm currently using v2.8, but have downloaded 2.10 and I'll load it onto the club PC next time I visit and go through the step-by-step procedure at the same time.

On a more general point, since as I understand it the configuartion files are portable, I wondered if there might be a library of roster files somewhere.

Cheers

Rod

Rod

Yes, the lack of obvious connection from manual comments to JMRI screen is why my comment about "not as easy as it should".

I know roughly why the JMRI files are the way they are, some of it is "trying to fit with existing JMRI approaches", some is "historical, stuff gets added, so where to add it without a re-write of the file" and some is "expert writing this knows where things are from when it was simpler, so doesn't think about newcomer".

The Roster (and other JMRI settings) will be in the user's preferences directory. They can be copied from machine to machine. For Windows it is usually in "C:/Users/<your username>/JMRI ".

Its also possibly to build JMRI to run from a memory stick (with all the preferences kept on the stick), but its a bit of work to build the initial set of program files.

The changes from 2.8 to 2.10 are not particularly large for Decoder Programming, other than the program preferences which are a lot better organised, and a few decoder file updates.

Let me know if the Portescap is better with the changed settings, its useful to find out how Zimo decoders perform in larger models. I know a few modellers who use them, and expect them to come to me for detailed setup in due course.

- Nigel

Nigel

I had a chance to spend some time on the loco last night and I did find the section in the Zimo manual "Step by step CV adjustment procedure to optimize engine performance" particulatly useful. However I've come to the conclusion that there's something wrong mechanically (I suspect that the quartering might have slipped). When I've sorted that out (and I haven't got too long as it's due on show in Wells soon) I'll get back to the CV tweaking and let you know what I find.

BTW by "library of roster files" I meant some sort of publically accessible repository where files of CVs that are know to have worked might be kept, e.g. if I get my 2-4-0 running nicely I could copy the file somewhere so that others with similar applictions might use it as a start point.

Cheers

Rod

Archived