West London Line Traffic

bob liddle

• RMweb Gold

Thanks!

They used lamps then and not discs? Was there not confusion with normal headcodes?

The Western workings used lamps,the Southern workings used discs (and obviously lamped after dark etc). No confusion with normal codes - or rather there shouldn't have been, provided Signalmen knew which trains were which and the running order - and anything out of course would be 'boxered' (advised by box-to-box message).

PS Glad you were happy with some examples, in 1960 there were 2 local headcodes off the Western mainlines to the West London Linei (two codes used for four different destinations, hmm), 9 codes on the WLL/Old Oak Common to/from the Southern Central Section, and 5 codes to/from the Southern Eastern Section. Some of these 14 codes were duplicated.

• RMweb Gold

Work on the layout based on a location of Chelsea on the WLL, albeit with some changes to history of the location for my purposes, is moving on based on my earlier thread.

Now I am reseaching the locomotives that ran on the line particularly those other than BR standards or SR ones which I know worked through. Did any WR.LMR or ER locomotives migrate south of Kensington on through Chelsea to Clapham and may be beyond, or even to the basin yard at Chelsea. I know a great variety of diesels did but can find virtually no information on steam locomotives for the 1960`s.

Bump.

I know some panniers did but I believe many passenger through trains from the north had a loco change at Kensington. But what about the numerous inter regional through freight trains that ran, surely they did not all change locos at Kensington?

I seem to have hit a brick wall with the internet web sites and the WLL books so any help on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So presumably a lot of Xmas mail specials in both directions at this time. Sounds like I need even more parcels vehicles to purchase and kits to build!!!!

Exactly so - I can't recall how many trains a day but there was quite a large temporary structure built for every Christmas mail period Christmas and one of the Divisional Parcels Inspectors took charge of it every year.

Great place to model in the 1970's

Dead straight - 4 tracks - sidings - convenient scenic break at either end - easily modelled back scene from either perspective - simple station buildings - two different sorts of semaphore signals - underground - practically ANYTHING running through....................

Archived