56100 makes it's final journey

• RMweb Gold

Whilst travelling home yesterday, I passed this sad sight on the M5, 56100 being taking from Margam Knuckle Yard to ? Kingsbury ? for scrapping.

(And yes there was a passenger taking the pics !)

post-6662-12798850935_thumb.jpg

post-6662-127988515148_thumb.jpg

:bye_mini:

• RMweb Gold

makes you think, I remember when they were built, the first new locos that I can remember. Toton was a whole world of newness to behold...

When I worked at Dartford in 1979/80, there was a regular 56 working with coal for the cement plant at Northfleet (I think!). Whatever, the sound of the 56 being opened up after observing the 15mph through the platform was akin to a jet revving up. Memorable!

Whilst travelling home yesterday, I passed this sad sight on the M5, 56100 being taking from Margam Knuckle Yard to ? Kingsbury ? for scrapping.

(And yes there was a passenger taking the pics !)

post-6662-12798850935_thumb.jpg

post-6662-127988515148_thumb.jpg

:bye_mini:

Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a shedplate on the front?

• RMweb Premium

This makes me feel really old. I remember going to a Doncaster open day when they were building their batch. The frames came from Crewe and several sets were sitting around on bogie wagons and the ones in the new build shop were all in the 5609X series I think so I might ahve seen tjis as a green painted set of frames with a distint upwards bow shape that dissappeared when they lowered the engine into place.

From memory this was the last of the Doncaster ones and Crewe did the last 35.

Jamie

Archived