Whitemarsh Yard

Will Vale

Thanks for the interest folks!

Unfortunately for 98% of the people in here, the show is Railex in Wellington, NZ - 20th and 21st of November. Taigatrommel of this parish is showing Bad Horn, and I'm taking Whitemarsh,  Igelfeld and Tanis. That's a useful reminder actually - I need to get Tanis out of its box and give the loco a once over. Plus take some pictures of the new tree!

Nate, if you make it come and say hello! I have no idea where we'll be yet as I haven't seen the floor plan, but we'll be there somewhere. I will be the worried-looking one realising all too late that an uppy-downy layout is a lot more work than a roundy-roundy  :blink:

Will

Reckon we should call it a RMWEB get together as I shall be up from CHCH working on Bad Horn too.

Kev

• RMweb Gold

Just thought I'd pop in and say that the layout looks brilliant. The grass bank, sluice and stream is particularly effective! blink.gif

Really like what you've done so far and I'll look forward to more updates and photos. The trackwork and lineside detailing is also great and you've obviously been researching the prototype. smile.gif

I managed half-an-hour outside to get some pictures in the sunlight. It's surprisingly difficult ergonomically with a long thin layout, so these aren't great, but they're going in the right direction. I think I need a backscene badly, and a lot more clutter around the track to make it less boring. Next time I'll try and set things up better, but that might be after the challenge is over and done.

gallery_7119_994_304140.jpg

Also a chance to show off the first piece of weathered motive power. I've done a little narrow gauge loco before, but this is the first time I've attempted something in OO, doing it properly from prototype pics.

gallery_7119_994_494359.jpg

And finally, another picture of the fishes because all the water has dried up properly and I like them :)

gallery_7119_994_804301.jpg

The natural light is nice, but it's quite cruel as well - the sleeper ends look nasty, and there are some odd chromatic highlights on 60014's grilles. Still, not bad for the time taken. Please let me know what you think - especially ideas for clutter to make the scene look less dead. I'm intending to add some lengths of rail in the four foot, and more cables and weeds, but I'm not sure what else would belong. The real yard seems very clean so I can't just fill it up with rubbish :)

Cheers,

Will

Hello Will :)

I totally agree with Dave, the amount of detail and the overall finish to the layout is very impressive. The last photos you posted using natural light are REALLY good, try taking some lower down. You are going to end up with very presentable layout.

Missy :)

I'd actually encourage you NOT to fill it up with clutter! That's one of those models of models things going on - as you state the real place is clean and tidy and in my opinion the high standard of your scenic modelling does all the talking. I'd go about finishing off the existing fine details like the actuation rods you wanted to add to the Peco point motors etc - and then any signage that is appropriate.

Lovely to see the colours in natural light - very well observed! I always try to avoid photos in direct sunlight as they're very cruel but I think in this case it goes to show how much time and effort you've spent in getting the finish 'right'. Awesome stuff.

Wow, thanks everyone, I'm very flattered!

try taking some lower down

Good idea. I did have a couple from that session' date=' but they didn't quite work for some reason. I'll have another go. The other shot I really want is the kind of spotter photo from the Norwood Road bridge - if I can get that right I'll be really happy :)[/size']

I'd actually encourage you NOT to fill it up with clutter! That's one of those models of models things going on

Point well taken! There is a bit more stuff in the real yard compared to this though - lots of weeds' date=' some cables atop the ballast, and bits and bobs like those little cable boxes, paths, the odd bit of trough. It's all fairly subtle and almost vanishes into the picture but it is there. Looking at this recent random pic, it looks like weeds are the biggest thing to add, possibly that'll help get away from the slightly bare look in the six foot? The signage is minimal but will add some colour and interest too.

It'll be interesting (and slightly scary) to see how the other end integrates with this end - that's based on Ipswich, where there's a lot more stuff going on.

Cheers,

Will

I would also agree with the above comments. I'd also like to state that actually I think the grass looks a little too green in areas. But overall the standard of detailing is excellent. Are you planning to have a GBRF 66 and rake of Dapol JNAs then? laugh.gif

Thanks Jack, it is pretty bright but I've tried to constrain that particular shade to just the area by the water - the rest of the layout is drier. I suspect I'm pushing my luck a bit with the colours - even stream banks might be more faded by July - but IMTS and all that :) This picture might put the greens in context a bit - compare the banks with the area at the back of the layout:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=65685

I do have a GBRf 66 or two, but no Falcons yet. They are pretty much essential, but I was hoping to see them in the flesh before buying - the yellow looks a bit off to me in the pictures. The MOAs are a decent substitute for now though.

Cheers,

Will

Great stuff Will. Its really coming along. Love the static grass I think I'll invest in a grassmaster for my big loft project next year. There should be a grassmaster hire centre!!

Trackwise it is a very clean yard (the real one and yours) not at all like the yards of my youth, hard to decide really what to do with this, as you could see from my efforts I like a bit of tat here and there. Details add interest besides the trains. I feel a layout needs to be entertaining even when trains aren't running. On the other hand you don't want to go over fussy on this as the real yard as we've said is very clean. Maybe you should just do the odd hidden gem here and there to give it a lived in look without overdoing it. I like the MAS ducting with the tops off in places, details like that are good. As for natural light, except no substitute!! Your shots look great.

Cheers

Cav

Great stuff Will. Its really coming along. Love the static grass I think I'll invest in a grassmaster for my big loft project next year.

I was planning to use a homebrew static applicator, but in the end I went for two different techniques, one from a US modeller (Rick Reimer) and one from a Dutch layout (Vinkeveen from the Modelspoorteam) - see here for details. Both are pretty quick, give (I think) good results, and don't require anything apart from grass and glue.

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Sorry about the absence. I did a lot of work after the deadline for the show, which I posted about here. There aren't any bare spots now, but the right hand end still needs some work. Since then I've been juggling a cold and last minute overtime, plus fiddling around with some future layout ideas (bad modeller, stay focussed!) The weather's nice here, so I'll try and get some pictures of the new bits of Whitemarsh, and hopefully that will spur me into action.

In the meantime, here's the layout at Railex a week or so ago

gallery_7119_1240_255771.jpg:

gallery_7119_1240_112887.jpg

Cheers,

Will

Archived