Class 22s on Passenger trains

Andy Kirkham

A rummage in what the kind-hearted call my library has produced "The Colour of British Rail Vol 1 - Diesel Pioneers" by Robert Stephens, square format paperback published by Atlantic in 1988 so probably OOP and scarce. It contains a fine shot by the late Bill Potter of D6335 leaving Kingswear on 8th August 1962. The first coach has roofboards which I cannot make out and the loco has the headcode 2C26. As an aside, there is a rake of non-corridor stock on the quayside line by the cranes containing three BR suburbans, two long and one short.

As the pic is clearly copyright and in a book I cannot post it here, now can I?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

IIRC that B+W pic appeared in an old magazine and i cannot remember which magazine or issue it was. But again IIRC i think one of them had failed and i think it was the middle engine hence why three ended up on the train, they just shoved another on the front.

Gents I think the photo to which you are referring, the triple headed class 22 was actually taken at Newquay 31 July 1965, and is published in Brian Haresnape's BR fleet survey (Ian Allan) vol 2: WR diesel hydraulics.

The locos concerned are D6325, D6322 and D6349. The lead loco was the pilot of the 10.05am to paddington. There are lots of shots of NBLs on passenger from the early 1960s in this volume, and are pictured on the WR branches to Minehead, Infracombe and in Cornwall

Neil

ah, the needles stuckblink.gif

Multiple posts now deleted after a (different) member sensibly used the Report function - thank you.

A polite reminder to all please - it's admittedly frustrating when the forum is running slow but please check whether your post has actually appeared before repeatedly hitting 'add reply'.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

That's another awesome picture. Anyone else screwed-up their face and imagined they can make it out to be D6314, or is it just me? wink.gif

No, it's not just you Chard! Looks like D6314 or possibly D6324, can't be any of the others ending with a '4'though, as D6304 was from the pilot batch with different bodyside grilles and D6334, D6344 and D6354 all had headcode boxes from new wink.gif

Nidge

Archived