Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

LMR 118 Brussels

Hi all,

I'm currently building a model of "Brussels", the Longmoor Military Railway Austerity that looked like some had thrown a Gibson catalogue at it...

As far as I have found out, the loco had boxed in footsteps, with recesses in place of the front ones, a Westinghouse Pump mounted on the edge of the smokebox with the saddletank cut away to clear it, the air tank monted on the right hand running plate, a headlight on the front and rear and a steam turbine generator on top of the saddletank behind the dome.

Now I know the loco it currently preserved on the Keighly and Worth Valley, and I have seen the photos on Flickr and Fotopic. However, I think that there's some irregularities between the loco as was and as preserved.

As far as I can work out, there seems to be a fillet on the edge of the smokebox by the Westinghouse Pump that I haven't seen in any photos of the orignal, the air cylinders seem to vary in size and I'm not too sure about the bunker... (whether it was extended or not).

Can anyone point me towards any internet based material or good books or share knowledge?

Thanks

Phil

There was a pretty good article in a 1986 (IIRC) "Modeller" about the Hunslet Austerity tanks which did feature Longmoor engines (it possibly coincided with Dapol's rtr model release). Might be worth digging out - I could try to find mine and give you a bit more info if you like.

Further to above, the RM article doesn't feature "Brussels" at all - sorry! However, I did find the Industrial Railway record's website page all about the LMR, which features a nice shot of 118 in 1963. Googling "Longmoor Military railway" should bring the page up.

Hi Phil,

I've added a comprehensive collection of photos of this loco onto the gallery here. Let me know how you progress! Please ask if you're not sure which bits of the engine are depicted.

I hope others will upload photos for detailing purposes onto the gallery - there's a right load of dross there at the moment.

Best wishes,

Michael

As there are obviously some Longmoor Austerity experts on here could I please go slightly off topic and ask if anyone knows what happened to Longmoor Austerity WD 199 .

Did it survive or was it scrapped - I just cannot seem to find any record of it apart from occasional pictures on the Longmoor system.

I work on the KWVR and am presetly there 5 days a week would you like some photograhs of our oil burning austerity? the fillet indeed iirc is a presercation add on and is hinged to provide acsess to the westinghouse

I think Cactustrain beat me to replying.... :)

Hi Phil,

I've added a comprehensive collection of photos of this loco onto the gallery here. Let me know how you progress! Please ask if you're not sure which bits of the engine are depicted.

I hope others will upload photos for detailing purposes onto the gallery - there's a right load of dross there at the moment.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael that's brill ta!

Can anyone shed any light on the headlights that were fitted?

Cheers

Phil

PS, photos of progress so far

post-6694-128182217859_thumb.jpg

post-6694-128182231258_thumb.jpg

As there are obviously some Longmoor Austerity experts on here could I please go slightly off topic and ask if anyone knows what happened to Longmoor Austerity WD 199 .

Did it survive or was it scrapped - I just cannot seem to find any record of it apart from occasional pictures on the Longmoor system.

WD199 was completed April 1953 as Hunslet (HE) 3799/53. It Was stored at Longmoor from July, 1953 until June, 1955 when it was moved to Bicester. In February, 1956 it was working at Thatcham General Store sub-Depot,and later moved to Westbury Central Ammunition Depot where it worked until July, 1959 before returning to store at Bicester Central Ordnance Depot (and possibly Shoeburyness) until July 1965. The following year it returned toLongmoor and was up for disposal during August, 1967. It was beleieved sold or scrapped during 1968.

Brian R

From 'Continent, Coalfield and Conservation - The biographical history of the British Army Austerity 0-6-0 saddle tank' by AP Lambert and JC Woods (IRS 1991);

'Delivered Longmoor and stored 4/53; stored Bicester 8/55; Thatcham 2/56; Westbury 6/56; Bister 7/59; Longmoor 4/66; sold or scrapped by 6/68. Works plates now caried by AD 196'.

Brian R and Halfwit - Thank you both very much for the information regarding WD 199 and it would seem the loco had been scrapped by 1968 . Even so there does still seem to be an element of doubt about when its final fate took place so I am glad it was not just me who was having probllems tracing its history.

I work on the KWVR and am presetly there 5 days a week would you like some photograhs of our oil burning austerity? the fillet indeed iirc is a presercation add on and is hinged to provide acsess to the westinghouse

Jordan, I'm hoping that you could provide some clarity on what I think that I've worked out...

- The rear cab wall has been changed, it used to have circular spectacle windows with the rear headlight in the middle. This was altered when the bunker was extended, is this a preservation alteration?

- There used to be a large air tank on the left hand side running plate above the middle driver, but now there's two smaller ones, one on either side just in front of the cab?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Phil

Archived