Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

wheel rail interaction test in 4mm scale

Wolf27

Hi All

Havn't got a clue where to put this

Today I made a test thingy using a mini cctv camera.

I have always been fascinated by how things work and to see what happens in the areas that you cannot normally see.

cheers

Shane

It was really interesting, but the real crux of the wheel/rail interface is through turnouts and here I would like to see the train run very slowly to see the effect of check rails and what happens in the frog area. I'd also like to know what track you are using, what wheels and specifically the B2B measurement of the wheels you are filming.

• RMweb Gold

It would be interesting if you could get enough light there and a good clear shot to see how much the flanges touch the rails and if on models they do follow the coning on the tyres.

It would also be interesting to see how it runs through badly laid track, it will never come off as they never do when you're watching...

Anyway, very interesting.

What I would say is try and get yourself an old clockwork loco that runs fairly slow to haul the camera vehicle. The problem you're getting is the sparking in the motor and between the wheels and rails is generating interference which the camera is picking up.

I did wonder if that would be a problem its more to do with the fact that the reciever unit in in the bedroom and the camera is in the loft and as the vehicle moves behind objects the signal is momentarily lost. Its very much a work in progress, but the principle works.

cheers

Shane

I did wonder if that would be a problem its more to do with the fact that the reciever unit in in the bedroom and the camera is in the loft and as the vehicle moves behind objects the signal is momentarily lost. Its very much a work in progress, but the principle works.

cheers

Shane

The sparking generates RF interference which upsets TV sets and causes a sparking noise on radio receivers.

The vertical and lateral displacement of the track is interesting. The video appears to show that the flanges are working against the inside of the railhead quite a lot. On the real thing the coning of the tyres is designed to keep the wheelset centralised.

As has already been said, the interesting bit is what happens at a crossing (frog). Does the checkrail have any role to play in this gauge/rail and wheel standard combination? Is the wheel supported by the tyre through the crossing gap, does the overscale flange play a part, etc.?

This is always a topic of interest for those that model to finer track standards (EM, P4, S7, etc).

It looks like you are running OO wheels on code 100 rails.

What I found interesting is that you appear to have used compensated bogies on your carriage so that the camera did not bump about as much as I expected!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did this one the spur of the moment and it took about an hour to set up. This is the prototype version as its a bit thrown together, I shall put a pic of the vehicle later on and give some detaiols of the camera used. The bogie is a Bill Bedford unit with 00 gauge 10mm Romford wheels. It can be fitted with any bogie as long as it has a 2mm hole for the bolt/pivot, also Em and P4 wheels can be tested. I may be able to test single axles too with a bit of thought.The track it is running on is code 100 peco of varying qualities with kinks and dodgy joints. All makes better test track though. I can also mount the camera on the front to give a drivers eye view. Unfortunatly I left the battery connected to the camera and have run it flat so I cant do any recording till tomorrow.What I really need to do is power the camera from the track and fit some miniture LED's to light the track up but this is one area that I know little about. Would be a good idea to make it DCC controlled as well. If anyone has suggestions as to how I can do this that would be most helpful.

cheers

Shane

This all sounds very interesting (and all the good stuff is always a spur of the moment "I wonder if this will work?"). I have always felt that in a model as in the prototype it is important to get the wheel rail system right (wheel profile, rail profile, track gauge and back-to back) and it needs all elements to work together.

I will be following this with interest.

Well done!

Richard

• 1 month later...

I recently got hold of a small keyring camera on Ebay, which can give a whole new perspective on the layout. Here's a guard's eye view of D6107 hauling a rake of bogie bolsters through Harford Street.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjMQ2QtsZlw&feature=player_embedded

These camera units are very good in my book. We use two on the dragster and can give a very clear picture despite all the vibration and shaking. I have been meaning to buy two for myself to use on model trains and slot cars for a while now. :)

EDIT:

is how it works on the car. As you can see, definitely going to have an easier life on a OO train... :D

Am I right in thinking that the rail in Peco OO track is upright?

C&L and the P4 Track company angle their rail to the prototipical 1:20. This should match the coning on the wheels and give it a better chance to work.

Gordon A

Bristol

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine arrived today. £6.50 + £2 post from China. No card with mine at that price, but my son said he had a few spare. Quite impressed with the quality for the price. Forst attempt was using in on a conflat pushed around be an 0-6-0PT. I think I need to improve the lighting. I think my next attempt will be using somekind of jig to make it look like it was shot leaning out of a carriage window.

Archived