QSI vs SoundTraxx

alcoRS1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_wbxnbQ97o

I have 2 Atlas Gold SD35, both MRL, I decided to replace the decoder in one, the other has a factory installed QSI. Both have the same factory installed speakers, just the decoders are swapped out.

The Atlas QSI SD35 is a 567 sound, but in the SD35 with the Soundtraxx Tsunami, I used a 645 2nd Generation (has turbo). This sound is close to the 567D and found in the MRL SD35's. The 567 from Soundtraxx is more suited for GP 7/9 etc.

Any how this video will show the difference between the 2 decoders.

The QSI has had the turbo turn down and the master volume, the high frequency noise really hurts my ears, the soundtraxx is at default volume.

I saw those demos, I do prefer the soundtraxx over the QSI, hands down, I got 3 Alcos with soundtraxx, and they sound awesome. I do not think I will get another QSI, though I think the horns on the QSI are so much better.

I was looking at the Ligar store, and saw he is selling OMI genset with sound, I drolling over them and will beg the wife to get into more debt, it is a must have item.

I only have 1 QSI equipped loco and it happens to be the Atlas SD35 in MRL no. 705!!

My other 7 locos are all Soundtraxx, I prefer Soundtraxx they just seem easier to program and to use.

I agree with AlcoRS1 that the horn is much better on the QSI, but overall i'd buy a Soundtraxx over a QSI.biggrin.gif

I was reading though my Soundtraxx guide, and came upon the EQ. I played around with it tonight on 2 different decoders (one 645 emd with turbo, the other an Alco 251 12 cylinder, with turbo). Wow, what a difference it makes, especially the Alco, it is sound so much deeper.

Just Awesome.

I have 2 Atlas Gold SD35, both MRL, I decided to replace the decoder in one, the other has a factory installed QSI. Both have the same factory installed speakers, just the decoders are swapped out.

The Atlas QSI SD35 is a 567 sound, but in the SD35 with the Soundtraxx Tsunami, I used a 645 2nd Generation (has turbo). This sound is close to the 567D and found in the MRL SD35's. The 567 from Soundtraxx is more suited for GP 7/9 etc.

Any how this video will show the difference between the 2 decoders.

The QSI has had the turbo turn down and the master volume, the high frequency noise really hurts my ears, the soundtraxx is at default volume.

Hi,

I recently purchased an Atlas GP40-2 with factory fitted QSI sound and also find that the high frequency sound is very 'piercing' on the ear. I've also turned down the master volume and the turbo which has improved the sound.

Living in the UK, I'm not familiar with how US diesels sound but I'm sure they don't sound as 'tinny' as my GP40-2. However, the loco does run superbly at slow speed on 128 steps with my NCE Powercab.

My next purchase will be an Athearn Genesis MP15 with Soundtraxx sound.

regards,

Mal

Just picked up a new Athearn MP15AC with Soundtraxx. Will be a direct comparision with my Atlas MP15DC with QSI. Not sure I can tell which is my favourite yet though.

cool, are you going to give us a youtube,

On the soundtraxx there is a equalizer on CV 153, try writing a 3 to it, it improved the sound in 2 of my locos quite a bit. On a plus note for the QSI, the motor control is better, I still not got to play around with the start voltage, the soundtraxx does not do slow speed well, lot like the QSI, I have noticed this in a few locos with soundtraxx, and have yet to figure out how to make those locos creep.

cool, are you going to give us a youtube,

On the soundtraxx there is a equalizer on CV 153, try writing a 3 to it, it improved the sound in 2 of my locos quite a bit. On a plus note for the QSI, the motor control is better, I still not got to play around with the start voltage, the soundtraxx does not do slow speed well, lot like the QSI, I have noticed this in a few locos with soundtraxx, and have yet to figure out how to make those locos creep.

I wish I could. Just spent an hour trying to record and upload. Sound quality on the still camera wasn't good enough, and the wife's minidisk camera wouldn’t play ball - I made two good recordings and it deleted them as soon as I took the disc out to load onto the PC. Sweary words were said!

I agree that the QSI seems to creep better, but I'm really not sure that I prefer either sound chip yet.

I wish I could. Just spent an hour trying to record and upload. Sound quality on the still camera wasn't good enough, and the wife's minidisk camera wouldn’t play ball - I made two good recordings and it deleted them as soon as I took the disc out to load onto the PC. Sweary words were said!

I agree that the QSI seems to creep better, but I'm really not sure that I prefer either sound chip yet.

I got now use my iPhone to record, it does 720P, seems to do an OK Job, but my DV camera, it has some strange issues. If QSI could work on the bass, and remove some of the high frequency of there locos, I think I would by them every time.

Archived