iTrain

Hi.

Downloaded this software and been tinkering with it. It does not give you all the bells and whistles that RailroadCo does but as an entry level software I think it it's a pretty good package and the price is certainly more within reach.

iTrain

Anybody tried it or have been using on their layout? Opinions more than welcome.

Kenneth

• 2 weeks later...

I have been seduced by the ability to run iTrain on a Mac so I have downloaded it. Let me know how you go as I will only be running it in free evaluation mode to see if it does what I want.

On the surface it appears to offer too many features for my simple layout but at least it is a start. I have a MRC Prodigy Advanced handheld at the moment but I am not happy with the ergonomics of it.

Eventually we should all be able to run a layout from our iPod Touch and download sound files etc from iTunes or the App Store. At least with the iPod, we can at least design the interface to incorporate buttons we can actually see and even zoom into the screen to read detail.

I have been seduced by the ability to run iTrain on a Mac so I have downloaded it. Let me know how you go as I will only be running it in free evaluation mode to see if it does what I want.

On the surface it appears to offer too many features for my simple layout but at least it is a start. I have a MRC Prodigy Advanced handheld at the moment but I am not happy with the ergonomics of it.

Eventually we should all be able to run a layout from our iPod Touch and download sound files etc from iTunes or the App Store. At least with the iPod, we can at least design the interface to incorporate buttons we can actually see and even zoom into the screen to read detail.

Your list of bits seems to be missing a command station which can talk to iTrain. MRC refuse to let 3rd-party software talk to their systems.

In other respects, I think you are pioneering the "next generation" of DCC handsets. General purpose devices such as an iPod Touch with throttle software running on them rather than low-volume (and expensive) current generation hardware throttles.

- Nigel

You can use an iPhone as a controller now. There's an App currently available.

Obviously you need to have your DCC system connected to your PC/Laptop running JMRI (maybe iTrains too? Not sure about that) and connected to your home WiFi network.

Archived