Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

US exhibitions in the UK?

PhilM

Which are the best exhibitions in the UK for US layouts and also best supported by the trade? It is actually trade stands that I am most interested in, While you can look at stuff on the web, there is nothing like actually looking at products, and just browsing things that you didnt even know you needed :)

And if anyone knows where Norwich is, is there an exhibition worth going to close enough to get to?? - this is by far the most difficult question as basically no-where is easy to get to!

Ardenrail was about the best you could have got, although a few other NMRA area groups put on a good show, such as the South Shore group http://www.southshore.org.uk/exhibition.html The Trent Valley NAM show has the potential to expend, although i'm not sure the organisers really want any more work...!!

North American content at shows tends to be a bit hit and miss in my experience, some shows can have a good year but be sparse the next so it's just a case of seeking out their publicity and making your own choice. I've exhibited my own layout at a few shows and once heard a comment that there was "too much" American there- obviously to some two layouts and a small Lionel display out of a total of 25+ is excessive.

Trade tends to be a bit hit and miss, I wouldn't expect in this internet age and after years of having the Walthers catalogue to find a trader with lots of accessories at a show, although I find Model Junction in Slough have good stocks of just about everything you need.

Have a look at the NMRA-BR site for exhibitions in your area , which will be predominantly US.

The number of traders is usually determined by the prospective footfall, so a larger exhibition will give more choice.

I'll have Kuppla Yard at the Seaboard Southern show at Horsham at the end of this month.

http://www.seaboard-southern.org.uk/annual-exhibition

Dave

Ardenrail kas been discontinued and Nicks (Northpoint) TVNAMhas filled the slot - AFAIK he is planning for next year

If you feel like a trek to the Highlands in Mid September (18/19) there will be 2 US layouts at Inverness Mine (HO) and 'arry Dodds O gauge layout - No US model traders at Inverness show AFAIK. Other Traders - can recommend McLaren Models in Falkirk, and Mac's models is in Kiriemuir

If you want a REALLY big show full of US content then why not try and get to the NMRA annual convention in Kegworth, Derbyshire on 23/24th October 2010?

http://www.nmrabr.or...nual-convention

The only thing is, i can't remember if it is a "member only" event or not, sorry!

You certainly can come along to the divisional meets, of course!

http://www.nmrabr.or...nts/2010/09/08/-

These should give you enough of a taster to see if you would like to join up!

Cheers,

John E.

PS Oops, sorry Martyn thats more or less what you posted!

If you want a REALLY big show full of US content then why not try and get to the NMRA annual convention in Kegworth, Derbyshire on 23/24th October 2010?

http://www.nmrabr.or...nual-convention

The only thing is, i can't remember if it is a "member only" event or not, sorry!

I "think" the public day is on the Sunday, although the powers that be seem to have the view that if you want to go to the convention you must be daft not to join the NMRA, it's almost as if they don't want to attract people through the door and increase their own revenue and make the traders attendance more worthwhile, rather than just a flag waving/loss making trip.

I personally would like to see the convention more like the annual DEMU show where it is more of a mainstream event yet still captures the friendly element, the only advantages to the present convention style is only having members means better insurance implications, plus the members right to operate or run their stock on any layout (that'll take some explaining). I did try to make a suggestion to the NMRA but was told "If you want to change anything, get yourself elected onto the Board of Directors first....". Now I know why it's referred to as the "Gentleman's dining club", which is why I won't be going to the convention this year....

• RMweb Gold

I think the NMRA convention is "guests" on Saturday and "public" on Sunday (but I'm not sure for how long as the event normally tends to wind up about lunchtime).

If you know anyone in NMRA I should come as a guest on Saturday. Despite the overtones alluded to by 298 (which may well be true) there is normally good US speciallist trade and a high standard of layouts. I know the organisers this year are trying to raise the bar with Pelle Selborg as a guest and sponsorship from Model Junction.

I too would like the NMRA in the UK as a much more open organisation

... Nicks (Northpoint) TVNAM has filled the slot - AFAIK he is planning for next year...

The proposed date for next year's Trent Valley North American Modellers Show is Saturday, June 11th; same venue as last year - north of Lichfield, Staffs. B)

Archived