Road Sign Fonts present and vintage

'CHARD

Well, there go two hours I really couldn't spare... What an interesting and informative site! Good find!

I know, the site had that effect on me too. rolleyes.gif

I confess to insanely delving into ludicrous layers of detail, on what look to all intents and purposes (when you drive on them daily) like perfectly mundane highways unsure.gif

On the subject of the fonts, has anyone successfully manipulated them yet? I ran out of time after probing the lost A-roads of Warrington new town (or something) for 4 days. ohmy.gif Specifically, I can't find the instructions mentioned here:

"Each font comes in a zip file with installation instructions"

I know, the site had that effect on me too. rolleyes.gif

I confess to insanely delving into ludicrous layers of detail, on what look to all intents and purposes (when you drive on them daily) like perfectly mundane highways unsure.gif

On the subject of the fonts, has anyone successfully manipulated them yet? I ran out of time after probing the lost A-roads of Warrington new town (or something) for 4 days. ohmy.gif Specifically, I can't find the instructions mentioned here:

"Each font comes in a zip file with installation instructions"

Unzip the file, then refer to this page (except Windows 7 - see below)

MyFonts.com

This is the Fontselling (some free) site of Bitstream.

For Windows 7 see

Winse7en.blogspot.com

Mac users can just click on the ttf file & choose to install.

The fonts offered are those used on road signs, not to be confused with the Rail Alphabet by the same designers, used by BR.

Barry

Thanks Barry, I'll try that.

I hadn't connected the two designs' designers, if you get my drift, but I do remember seeing them interviewed - I think in connection with some anniversary of the M1's opening, possibly its 50th. I had no idea they created Rail Alphabet, in my imaginary world they'd have locos named after them for the iconic corporate typeface.

Great gen, cheers biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...

The fonts offered are those used on road signs, not to be confused with the Rail Alphabet by the same designers, used by BR.

The Transport font was used by BR Rail freight (in conjunction with the box/arrow symbol) for a couple of years prior to the adoption of the Rail Alphabet as shown here

• 4 months later...

Always worthy of a shameless bounce is this ol 'Chard chestnut. If only because it may introduce it to a few new readers who would never know of its existence, even through diligent searching. And because I was looking for it myself, so unapologetically I'm dragging it back to the first couple of pages for those interested. tongue.gif

While we're here, have any of you early downloaders got any handiwork to show us yet? I'd be very interested to see how this stuff turns out with good quality card and a half-decent laser printer... Over to you guys and gals.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's any use to anyone, Gill Sans was used by the LNER on pretty much everything from 1929 onwards, from station signs, rolling stock to posters.

Gill Sans MT on windows is the correct font.

and if you're modeling the London Underground, you need to be using Johnston

Archived