Dapol 9F (weathered)

romley midland

• 1 month later...

Bump

I saw this reviewed in this month's Hornby Magazine. They praised the performance (does Hornby or Railway Modeler ever give a stinker review?), but it wasn't clear whether the mechanism was being upgraded from the original release. Any more information on the drive?

If it is leveraging the Brit mechanism (given early performance reviews) I might be tempted to place a double order.

Bloke

Not sure about the mechanism but the factory weathering is amazing. Dapol seem to have got the same chap who did their silver bullets to give these a go over. This is not a simple blow-over with an airbrush to the underframes. There is streaking and leaking from the pipes, the underframes are brownish while the upper areas a sooty black.

I think this may be Dapol's last weathered model so it might be worth picking one up if you like the "well-used" look. You would probably have to pay a fair chunk to get a loco weathered to a better standard.

Bump

I saw this reviewed in this month's Hornby Magazine. They praised the performance (does Hornby or Railway Modeler ever give a stinker review?), but it wasn't clear whether the mechanism was being upgraded from the original release. Any more information on the drive?

If it is leveraging the Brit mechanism (given early performance reviews) I might be tempted to place a double order.

Bloke

If they even just stuck traction tyres on the rear drivers and fitted the 5 pole skew wound motor used in all their most recent stuff (instead of the stickier 5 pole straight wound used on 9Fs to date) it'd be hard to beat the performance I think.

Cheers,

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a quick thanks to Dapol here, I received one of these weathered 9F's for Christmas and noticed that the pony truck centering spring was missing, so I went to the local shop where I knew it was brought and they had another, but there was no spring on this one either! ( the strange thing is there wasn't even a hole in the pony truck where the spring wire would normally pass through?!) Anyway I called Dapol and a full springing kit was put in the post, unfortunately this never arrived but a quick email to Dave saw another in the post and at duly arrived a few days later, I was also told that the spring is there on other examples of the same batch, so as not to worry anyone else who has one of these!

So a big thumbs up to Dapol, cheers, Richard

Archived