2010 Challenge Presentation & Judging Rules

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

With just over a month to go before the deadline, as the sub-title asks, what are the presentation and judging rules for the entries ?

Apart from the obvious, such as square inches and how the numbers 5 and 2010 have been incorporated, what else is needed from an entrant's viewpoint, and on what other criteria will the layouts be awarded points ?

For example, would a full timetable score extra points, or a video of the layout working, or a full history behind the railway, or photos of rolling stock, or just a few well chosen images of the layout itself ?

Stu

Sorry for the delay in responding, real life obstacles prevented me getting fingers to keys.

First of all I can't understand why the rules topic is blank! - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3343-2010-challenge-rules/

My understanding of the qualifying criteria was as follows:

1. Area equivalent to 2010 square inches maximum including off stage storage/fiddle areas

2. Some means of recording the significance of our 5th birthday in 2010.

3. The entry must be capable of running a RTR or scratchbuilt/kitbuilt loco/unit

4. Entries should be documented within the 2010 Challenge area

5. End date 31 Oct 2010

For final entry into the poll an entrant should create a summary topic which shows the completed entry. A separate sub-forum area will be created for the summary topics. When each summary topic is posted it will be locked so replies cannot be made. The summary can include text to form an article detailing points of interest about the layout and include images and/or video, the summary should include a link to the original build topic. All summary topics should be created by 14 November, the sub-forum area will then be locked and voting will begin.

Judging will be votes from the wider membership/readership via a poll. The poll will consider various aspects* and ask users to score each element for each of the entries.

*Visual

*Operational

*Prototypical

Voting will continue until 30 November.

A winner will be determined in each of the scoring categories.

The overall winner will be determined by the overall highest combined score at the close of the voting.

Strange, Andy - it wasn't empty a couple of days ago - because I looked to check the finish date/time - which was given as 20:10 on 20/10/2010 - It also refered to a presentation explaining the layout to be posted - I was going to enquire if this is needed if the whole build has been documented or is this a seperate requirement. I held off from bothering you with the question, as I know that you have been busy with the server change

Jack

• 4 weeks later...

Any chance of some confirmation on that date? Personally, I'd really like the extra time, since Mrs. V. just reminded me that the 20th is next week (ulp!) and that I'm looking after the bairn this weekend. But I completely understand that it was originally 20/10 and if that's the outcome then so be it - late nights ahead :)

In fact, I should get back to my culvert rather than mucking about on the internet...

Cheers,

Will

1. Area equivalent to 2010 square inches maximum including off stage storage/fiddle areas

Note: maximum excluded off stage storage/fiddle areas for those entering 7mm scale

5. End date 31 Oct 2010

The counter in my sig has been running since the rules were set up.

it was set to 20 10 20 10 20 10 (hh mm dd mm yy yy) which did have some significance ???

.... but if you want it changed to some other point in time let me know and I'll do that - so no one else gets confused.

It might be worth doing a reality check / roll call to see just how many have survived the year ?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding, real life obstacles prevented me getting fingers to keys.

First of all I can't understand why the rules topic is blank! - http://www.rmweb.co....hallenge-rules/

My understanding of the qualifying criteria was as follows:

2. Some means of recording the significance of our 5th birthday in 2010.

3. The entry must be capable of running a RTR or scratchbuilt/kitbuilt loco/unit

4. Entries should be documented within the 2010 Challenge area

5. End date 31 Oct 2010

For final entry into the poll an entrant should create a summary topic which shows the completed entry. A separate sub-forum area will be created for the summary topics. When each summary topic is posted it will be locked so replies cannot be made. The summary can include text to form an article detailing points of interest about the layout and include images and/or video, the summary should include a link to the original build topic. All summary topics should be created by 14 November, the sub-forum area will then be locked and voting will begin.

Judging will be votes from the wider membership/readership via a poll. The poll will consider various aspects* and ask users to score each element for each of the entries.

*Visual

*Operational

*Prototypical

Voting will continue until 30 November.

A winner will be determined in each of the scoring categories.

The overall winner will be determined by the overall highest combined score at the close of the voting.

Hi Andy - just a couple of points for clarification:

Most of the photos I've posted so far have been taken in the middle of the night and are not exactly shining examples of the art of photography. I'd like to get the layout outside for some better light. Does the date of 14th November for the Summary Topic mean that we can use these 14 days to take new photos/video? I guess we need to post some record shots to show that the layout is complete on the 31st October and that no further work has been done to the layout itself.

Also I have a severe rolling stock shortage - I've been building a few wagon kits during the summer, but need to finish paint a few as props for the photos - as the stock is not part of the layout itself, I guess this is OK?

Most of the photos I've posted so far have been taken in the middle of the night and are not exactly shining examples of the art of photography. I'd like to get the layout outside for some better light. Does the date of 14th November for the Summary Topic mean that we can use these 14 days to take new photos/video? I guess we need to post some record shots to show that the layout is complete on the 31st October and that no further work has been done to the layout itself.

Also I have a severe rolling stock shortage - I've been building a few wagon kits during the summer, but need to finish paint a few as props for the photos - as the stock is not part of the layout itself, I guess this is OK?

I'm absolutely fine with that. The two week period is to enable people to show the layout off to its best.

Entries will be judged on the layout rather than the stock.

• RMweb Gold

Andy

There are a number of us who have had to admit we ain't gonna make it in time to be judged, but fully intend to carry on at our own leisurely pace. Given that those layouts are already defined in space and maybe other ways by the Challenge Rules, is there any chance of a heading "Not the 2010 Challenge" for our further exposure? Outwith any chance of being judged with the compliant layouts, of course, but reflecting the layouts' origins?

I was hoping do what Andrew was envisioning as well, and use the next couple of weeks to get stock ready and take pictures. The problem is that I ended up not having this week free (ongoing work emergency since we're close to release) and I'm way behind. However, I still need to finish the layout properly for an exhibition in about 3 weeks. So if I take pictures later, I'm going to be taking pictures of ongoing work past the deadline. I suspect there are two honourable options:

1) Do as much as possible this weekend (if more work doesn't appear) and take pictures of whatever that ends up being (maybe one module rather than two?) on Sunday afternoon or Monday morning for the purposes of the challenge.

2) Admit defeat challenge-wise.

It's so frustrating to be falling over at the last hurdle!

Will

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping do what Andrew was envisioning as well, and use the next couple of weeks to get stock ready and take pictures. The problem is that I ended up not having this week free (ongoing work emergency since we're close to release) and I'm way behind. However, I still need to finish the layout properly for an exhibition in about 3 weeks. So if I take pictures later, I'm going to be taking pictures of ongoing work past the deadline. I suspect there are two honourable options:

1) Do as much as possible this weekend (if more work doesn't appear) and take pictures of whatever that ends up being (maybe one module rather than two?) on Sunday afternoon or Monday morning for the purposes of the challenge.

2) Admit defeat challenge-wise.

It's so frustrating to be falling over at the last hurdle!

Will

I think Andy's post makes it clear that if the trains can run, then incomplete work does not invalidate your entry by the due date. I suggest that quality but incomplete layouts will do fairly well against completed offerings from owners with fewer talents!

Thanks Ian, your confidence is appreciated :) It was more the worry that if I didn't get a fine day for pics soon, I'd be struggling not to work on the layout given that my exhibition deadline is looming too. Which feels like cheating.

On the plus side, my last bug is fixed (at 2am - a nice early night!) so I can get busy tomorrow :D :D

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

We could always have an unofficial 2010.5 Challenge Compo in Oct 2011 for those entries that needed an extra year... :D

(I'm in!)

An extra year would be handy, but I think I just wanted a place where those of us who have got "only so far" could continue, and the dimensional constraints would be a recognised feature, that's all. In my own case, the baseboard is a really bizarre (= silly!) shape to permit use of certain structures which are (relatively) scale models of prototypes from one locale. I think allowing any sort of competition among our layouts would be grossly unfair on those who have bust a gut and ticked all their boxes on time for 31.10.10. Andy has already been more than reasonable in allowing "working but incomplete" entries IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

I would like to park my incomplete challenge layout amongst the other 'also rans' instead of a prize maybe we should have a countdown type clock that runs until the last layout is completed, perhaps a cut off date of 2015 on the grounds of if it is not finished by then it never will be?

An extra year would be handy, but I think I just wanted a place where those of us who have got "only so far" could continue, and the dimensional constraints would be a recognised feature, that's all.

Yup, I'm up for that.

I think allowing any sort of competition among our layouts would be grossly unfair on those who have bust a gut and ticked all their boxes on time for 31.10.10. Andy has already been more than reasonable in allowing "working but incomplete" entries IMHO.

Yup, agree with that too!

Hmm, I'm not normally so agreeable, must be the paint stripper fumes! :D

So. I'm not sure how this works, do we have to post something tomorrow to show that its finished and then do the summary over the next couple of weeks? If not then how do we judge a layout as done by tomorrows deadline, as we could in theory then add to the layout for a further 2 weeks.

This question didn't seem cleared up to me when asked earlier.

Cheers

Cav

Archived