Modifying a ScaleScenes kit - Medium station roof

JonathanB

I'm looking at building a small N-gauge layout based with the theme of a small LB&SCR branch line somewhere south of Guildford in the Surrey Hills. The theme is by no means something to follow accurately, but at least gives me a start - the main thing is it looks good rather than being entirely accurate in every detail. The initial musings and plans are in this thread.

I like the Scalescenes kits (and previous tried the free goods shed on cereal box card) and think that the Medium station building would probably work nicely to be in keeping with stations in the south such as Baynards and Billingshurst. There is one exception - the roof. I'm wondering how easy it would be for a novice like me to modify the kit to make the roof gable end overhang the walls, rather than the wall being higher than the roof gable and the roof on the inside (if that makes any sense at all!?).

The other thing I quite like is the arched style of window and door openings as per the Billingshurst station, rather than the straight style in the kit, although I'm less bothered about this.

I also really like the style of Lingfield and Dormans stations on the East Grinstead line, but I think I'd probably be better off starting from a kit rather than attempting a complete scratch build to emulate one of those.

Any hints and tips are gratefully received! :D

Hi Jonathan,

Kit bashing a new roof that overhangs the gable would be a fairly easy project. One approach could be to simply build the side wall elements as described in the instructions and then extend a cut down following the roof slope and remove some of the side wall base (see quick screen grab below). As with any of my kits, the best approach to kit bashing is to just print a quick low res. or B&W version a do a rough test build.

post-8868-040592800 1285194270_thumb.jpg

If you print some of the sheets twice you should have everything you need to fabricate an overhanging roof. Alternatively, you can print a selected section of a page from Acrobat if your printer supports it.

Firstly zoom into the section that you wish to print and then select print. Once in the print window in the 'Print range' section, select 'Current view'. Please ensure that 'Page scaling - none' is also selected. If 'Fit to print margins' is enabled then the selected section will print out at the incorrect scale.

Cheers

John

Thanks John,

I have managed to do a portion of the station with a test print, and by just cutting the Roof base layer to 4-5mm larger than the template and extending the roof slope of the end pieces it seems to work ok.

I think my card is a bit thick for N gauge though - I've used cereal box for "medium" and doubled for "heavy", will try an find something more suitable for the real version, but haven't had much luck sourcing the suggested thickness yet!

Jonathan.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan

I've been using Scalescenes viaducts and bridges for an ongoing N-gauge project - with very pleasing results so far.

In N, for the "heavy" card parts I have used some grey 1000micron (ie 1mm) card found in a local stationers. It's just a little bit thinner than the 1250 mounting board I had started with, but seems to work a little better with the dimensions of the printed components.

The "medium" card I have been using is 200gsm white card which I found a bulk pack in WHSmiths.

cheers

Ben A.

In N, for the "heavy" card parts I have used some grey 1000micron (ie 1mm) card found in a local stationers. It's just a little bit thinner than the 1250 mounting board I had started with, but seems to work a little better with the dimensions of the printed components.

The "medium" card I have been using is 200gsm white card which I found a bulk pack in WHSmiths.

Thanks, it was the 1mm in particular that I couldn't seem to find (don't want to order online as the postage is expensive!) - I could find 180gsm for the medium I think though.

Archived