Hornby Class 58 - remotoring options?

richierich

• RMweb Premium

I've got a Hornby Class 58, which is a bit of shed (painted in grey primer sort of looks like Fertis livery). But was wondering what options are possible to remotor it? I've got a 5 pole skew wound motor with flywheels out of a Athena model (not sure which), so guess that resolves the motor, but its best and cheapest option to get drive to the bogies?

• 2 months later...

I've got a Hornby Class 58, which is a bit of shed (painted in grey primer sort of looks like Fertis livery). But was wondering what options are possible to remotor it? I've got a 5 pole skew wound motor with flywheels out of a Athena model (not sure which), so guess that resolves the motor, but its best and cheapest option to get drive to the bogies?

I have just seen your posting.

One solution is a pair of on-line drive units from MSL; the 6-M-6 configuration. Cost £65.00 w/o motor.

I have just ordered to remotor a Lima Western with an Athearn motor, BUT I have not installed.

Email: - info@msl-hobbies.com

Another solution is to replace the original motor with a DS10; I suppose, if you had 2 original Hornby motor bogies, you could install 2 motorised bogies.

Again I have not tried this. However I have instructions from Sherwood models, which are 20/25 years old. I have attached as PDF.

I hope this does not infringe copyright. I have credited the source.

Class 58 Re-Motor Kit Sherwood.pdf

In Tim Shackleton's old book (published by the now-defunct Hawkshill Publishing) on detailing diesels, he worked on a Hornby 58, and remotored it using a Mashima can motor (I think it was a 1628 or 1630)., and also changed the gear ratio to make the loco more driveable.

This was the original-spec Hornby 58, so its motor was seated in a plastic "clip" at the top of a gear tower on the motor bogie. The gear train involved a worm-and-wheel in the centre of the bogie, and this worm-and-wheel is mounted on an axle at the top of the bogie, driving spur gears on the outside.

Tim junked the original motor and first-stage worm-and-wheel, but not the spur train. The Mashima, and a new worm-and-wheel gearset (30:1 ratio as opposed to the original 18:1) were then grafted in to drive the spur gears in exactly the same way. The Mashima itself was screwed and glued to the plastic clip mentioned earlier.

• 3 months later...

Hi

If you've still got your Hornby 58?

I have 2 of these (and an old Mainline 56 as 56042) which I fitted with 2 motor bogies each from cheap s/h donor locos. They will pull scale length mgr trains even with no traction tyres. (I substituted the wheels with plain tread types using spares from the surplus dummy bogies. These have gears on the back). The bogie swap literally takes less than 5 mins.

I'm sure the Heljan is a lot better , but I did this about 10 years ago - maybe worthwhile if you can get the Hornby locos cheap enough.

Hope this is of interest.

Archived