Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

what's the expert consensus on the green running plate? for me, that's mostly what's making it look like a toy, but if it's prototypical...

I think it may be for the late crest version, but not for the early crest. Either way, that’s a problem that’s easily fixed.

2 minutes ago, Downer said:

I think it may be for the late crest version, but not for the early crest. Either way, that’s a problem that’s easily fixed.

you say that - it will be my first experience of putting paint anywhere near a locomotive for 20 years, I was never very good at it the first time, and it's costing me £200 plus paint....

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Downer said:

I have this on order at my local model shop, and am worried that refusing to accept this apparent travesty will be problematic for the retailer in question.  Can anyone say how this works? Will he be able to return it to Hornby without incurring any penalty?

You have a perfect right the reject the model if it does not correspond to the product you ordered. I don’t think there’ll be any quibble….or shouldn’t be….about that. Next question is to bring it to the attention of the Hornby marketing dept,possibly in the form of a steady flow of returned body shells with request for merchantable,accurately finished replacements. Will this happen?  Not any time soon I imagine. Another fine mess etc. the latest in a long line of avoidable mishaps 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

what's the expert consensus on the green running plate? for me, that's mostly what's making it look like a toy, but if it's prototypical...

Have a look at the link image. If you zoom in the edge of the running plate appears to be black

https://www.theclanproject.org/Clan_History2.php

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

When and for how long ? Apart from that,consider that shade……

Just had a quick look in 'Locomotives in details No 5 - Riddles class 6/7', Dave Clark 2006. References to the green cylinder covers (72009 quoted in the text although the photographic evidence shows only 72008) and green firebox sides but no mention at all of the green tops to the running plates. Same in the section for the Brits. I'd really like to see some concrete evidence for this as they really stand out. Some good new pictures of the models on Monk Bar Model Shops facebook page https://www.facebook.com/monkbarmodels/photos/pcb.4389436241123280/4389435554456682/?__cft__[0]=AZUDmiw8Kzx5KN1W-qGKtRnuf6U3MUu4Ms45eA4RnTmFbOCXlFO4ov1qc6dtQ6Phq0Uex0WZ7EwQWGlzZ2_dhDvSD6CSg-D--Z_ptEsoK7OwAsQr4eTdauO-Z2zSYixsyh8&__tn__=*bH-R  for those that have access - I can't copy to this thread as not my images. 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

29 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Just had a quick look in 'Locomotives in details No 5 - Riddles class 6/7', Dave Clark 2006. References to the green cylinder covers (72009 quoted in the text although the photographic evidence shows only 72008) and green firebox sides but no mention at all of the green tops to the running plates. Same in the section for the Brits. I'd really like to see some concrete evidence for this as they really stand out. Some good new pictures of the models on Monk Bar Model Shops facebook page https://www.facebook.com/monkbarmodels/photos/pcb.4389436241123280/4389435554456682/?__cft__[0]=AZUDmiw8Kzx5KN1W-qGKtRnuf6U3MUu4Ms45eA4RnTmFbOCXlFO4ov1qc6dtQ6Phq0Uex0WZ7EwQWGlzZ2_dhDvSD6CSg-D--Z_ptEsoK7OwAsQr4eTdauO-Z2zSYixsyh8&__tn__=*bH-R  for those that have access - I can't copy to this thread as not my images. 

Actually they look better there. Still not convinced by the green running plate.

30 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

It has to be said that those photos don't look as bad as the one above - but it's still far from what other producers interpret as BR Passenger Loco Green livery - and so, it's far from how the prototype appeared.

CJI.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It has to be said that those photos don't look as bad as the one above - but it's still far from what other producers interpret as BR Passenger Loco Green livery - and so, it's far from how the prototype appeared.

CJI.

Thats the nail on the head for me - doesnt look like the prototype. Hornby wont be bothered but sales from me lost purely on livery in the last 2 years: 46211, 46257 both recent Thompson Pacifics and now a Clan. It isnt the prices (eye watering as they are) its the colour of the final product thats the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thats the nail on the head for me - doesnt look like the prototype. Hornby wont be bothered but sales from me lost purely on livery in the last 2 years: 46211, 46257 both recent Thompson Pacifics and now a Clan. It isnt the prices (eye watering as they are) its the colour of the final product thats the problem. 

That and no response to pressure to improve paint finish when dissatisfaction with it is evident 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

That and no response to pressure to improve paint finish when dissatisfaction with it is evident 

Only glimmer of light is that Tony Wright of this parish said on his thread that he is being asked for advice. I fear we wont see the results for a while though, I guess the Clan left the factory months ago.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

They look better but still not convinced at the green running plate . Even if Clan Stewart had a special paint job with green cylinders , that may have resulted in green running plate (although I'm not convinced) Clan MacDonald should be in the standard scheme .   Maybe Hornby could reveal their sources .  Was the green running plate evident on the video they put out ?

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Here is 72009 with the green cylinder covers.... Taken from the Clan Project's website here https://www.theclanproject.org/images/Clans/72009_1.jpg

The photo from your facebook link displaying both models 72004 and 72009 look perfectly ok to me in terms of livery shade and lining colour. 

To me, something doesn't seem quite right with the original picture posted in this thread, which appears to indicate a yellow lining and a more southern green on 72009.....

I've been to my local model shop only this morning and caught a glimpse of the newly release 72009 and it looked identical to the one in the facebook link, which looks fine.....

image.png.b9a23622841056c882b2c4ea23f91754.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

must confess with the later pictures I've been warming to it - I think I can get a bit of weathering on 72004 and sort out the running plate. 

I don't believe I should have to, but I reckon I can. 

actually, as a returning modeller, am I better off paying someone to sort out the running plate in this instance, or doing it myself? And, if the latter, what's the best way? 

Edited by Helmdon

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, creilly81 said:

Here is 72009 with the green cylinder covers.... Taken from the Clan Project's website here https://www.theclanproject.org/images/Clans/72009_1.jpg

The photo from your facebook link displaying both models 72004 and 72009 look perfectly ok to me in terms of livery shade and lining colour. 

To me, something doesn't seem quite right with the original picture posted in this thread, which appears to indicate a yellow lining and a more southern green on 72009.....

I've been to my local model shop only this morning and caught a glimpse of the newly release 72009 and it looked identical to the one in the facebook link, which looks fine.....

image.png.b9a23622841056c882b2c4ea23f91754.png

“Something doesn’t look right “:? Which one are you talking about,the one one the left or the right?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

“Something doesn’t look right “:? Which one are you talking about,the one one the left or the right?  

What I meant was, the picture itself isn’t right because there is a huge difference in the one of the left which is the up to date model, and how the model actually looks in the flesh.

I’ve seen the actual newly released model for myself and the green is nothing like the light green depicted in the picture nor is the lining yellow as the picture suggests.

the actual model looks extremely accurate….

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, creilly81 said:

What I meant was, the picture itself isn’t right because there is a huge difference in the one of the left which is the up to date model, and how the model actually looks in the flesh.

I’ve seen the actual newly released model for myself and the green is nothing like the light green depicted in the picture nor is the lining yellow as the picture suggests.

It is what it is!  Lighting and colour is always difficult.  I will take some pictures when I have finished the washing up.

My immediate reaction on unboxing both new Clan models was that the lining along the footplate was too yellow and as others have said the lining on the cab is different in colour to the lining on the tender.  The shade of green is also lighter than the old Sanda Kahn Britannia and Clan models.

Cheers Ray

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, creilly81 said:

Yes,well Ray,the photographer has replied for himself as is his right .The question I asked was which one of the two doesn’t look right to you. ?  Because both of them can’t be right,can they  as there is a marked discrepancy in shade

The example on the right is….an example from the first issue now a decade or more old…Try a match with the photograph you have supplied with your post. 

With respect to your final summation.on accuracy, the paint finish on this model does not justify the accolade.Posting as one among more than a few who have raised issues for years over poor Hornby paint finish.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1