Jump to content
Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

Hornby Clan


The Fatadder
 Share

Recommended Posts

Washing up finished!

 

Some more pictures of R3996 against a few older models.

 

As has been said previously the footplate lining seems awful yellow and the green is certainly different to previous models.

 

51555402399_9cda9fce71_5k.jpg

 

Clan Stewart R3996 + Clan Stewart alias Clan McLeod

 

51554916118_168535f82a_5k.jpg

 

Shades of Green and Yellow

 

51554915698_f1b5171b6a_5k.jpg

 

Clan Stewart + City of Birmingham

 

51555598235_181ebac6d2_5k.jpg

 

Clan  Stewart + Black Prince

 

Cheers  Ray

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some views don't look too bad, others look rather insipid, and I don't know if it's the running plate adding to the green-ness of it all. I'd like to see one with a black running plate (if indeed it should be, and I suspect it should).

 

I dealt with the rather flat shade of 71000 with a coat of Kleer, I wonder if something similar would work for the Clan. I'll pass further judgement on Friday when I pick mine up from Monk Bar.

 

Cheers

 

J

  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Some views don't look too bad, others look rather insipid, and I don't know if it's the running plate adding to the green-ness of it all. I'd like to see one with a black running plate (if indeed it should be, and I suspect it should).

 

I dealt with the rather flat shade of 71000 with a coat of Kleer, I wonder if something similar would work for the Clan. I'll pass further judgement on Friday when I pick mine up from Monk Bar.

 

Cheers

 

J

I’ve seen some pictures from the various shops where it looks ok certainly 

Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

...

 

I dealt with the rather flat shade of 71000 with a coat of Kleer, I wonder if something similar would work for the Clan. I'll pass further judgement on Friday when I pick mine up from Monk Bar.

 

 

 

For completeness a view of Clan Stewart against Duke of Gloucester:

 

51555116308_438b1cee6c_5k.jpg

 

Clan Stewart + Duke of Glouester

 

I shall stop now and await pictures from other members.  My images are taken in artificial light (LEDs) using a Sony Camera.  Images in daylight with another make of camera will be different.  However I doubt that changing the  lighting and cameras will make all the Hornby shades of green the same.

 

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, doesn't look like a it's come out too well (as with the A2s), though I'd like to see how it compares to a known quantity first (ie: one of Hornby's accurate renditions of BR green), before any proverbial "knives" come out....

Is there any chance we might be able to see one of these side by side, under decent lighting, with one of the first super-detail B17s or indeed 46115, 46117, 60093 or 60012?  The shade of green used on the original runs of the Clans isn't the best and needs T-Cut to bring out a better colour (though still not right by any means!), together with a coat or two of original formula Johnson's "Klear".

 

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to defend the livery application of this one, but I'd just like to see a fairer comparison before I cast any real judgement!

Edited by Tim
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tim said:

Hmmm, doesn't look like a it's come out too well (as with the A2s), though I'd like to see how it compares to a known quantity first (ie: one of Hornby's accurate renditions of BR green), before any proverbial "knives" come out....

Is there any chance we might be able to see one of these side by side, under decent lighting, with one of the first super-detail B17s or indeed 46115, 46117, 60093 or 60012?  The shade of green used on the original runs of the Clans isn't the best and needs T-Cut to bring out a better colour (though still not right by any means!), together with a coat or two of original formula Johnson's "Klear".

 

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to defend the livery application of this one, but I'd just like to see a fairer comparison before I cast any real judgement!

60012 I think you may mean 60027

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, davidw said:

60012 I think you may mean 60027

 

No, definitely 60012; R2825, if you have a look on Google....  However, 60027 was from the same period of decent Hornby BR green too.  Also this photo....

 

60012_build_21182a.jpg

 

Edited by Tim
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tim said:

 

No, definitely 60012; R2825, if you have a look on Google....  However, 60027 was from the same period of decent Hornby BR green too.  Also this photo....

 

60012_build_21182a.jpg

 

Ah the commonwealth collection. I'd forgotten those. Command silly money on ebay

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we all just remember the atrocity that was the green on the Kings when the new version was launched? This green on the Clan is far better than that washed out colour was! Yes the lining is too bright, but I’d say there’s a good chance some darker lining would change the look of the colour of the green. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Clan, R3995,  arrived yesterday purchased new from a local Australian dealer for just over GBP100.00.   I cannot believe that some UK stores want almost GBP220.00 plus GBP45.00 shipping.    I have no issue with the green.  If I was to criticise the model then,  yes,  the lining on the footplate is perhaps a shade or two light when compared to the rest of the lining.  My model arrived completely intact so I did not have to go looking for pieces loose in the packaging.  A superb model.

2003_01010004 (2).JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Can we all just remember the atrocity that was the green on the Kings when the new version was launched? This green on the Clan is far better than that washed out colour was! Yes the lining is too bright, but I’d say there’s a good chance some darker lining would change the look of the colour of the green. 

Touche there's little consistency. I'm sure there's lots factors in the creation of these models that we're not aware of. I would have expected a common palette shared between factories. The Clan to my eyes and having seen one 'in the flesh' doesn't look right

 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

My Clan, R3995,  arrived yesterday purchased new from a local Australian dealer for just over GBP100.00.   I cannot believe that some UK stores want almost GBP220.00 plus GBP45.00 shipping.    I have no issue with the green.  If I was to criticise the model then,  yes,  the lining on the footplate is perhaps a shade or two light when compared to the rest of the lining.  My model arrived completely intact so I did not have to go looking for pieces loose in the packaging.  A superb model.

2003_01010004 (2).JPG

That one looks better. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GWR-fan said:

My Clan, R3995,  arrived yesterday purchased new from a local Australian dealer for just over GBP100.00.   I cannot believe that some UK stores want almost GBP220.00 plus GBP45.00 shipping.    I have no issue with the green.  If I was to criticise the model then,  yes,  the lining on the footplate is perhaps a shade or two light when compared to the rest of the lining.  My model arrived completely intact so I did not have to go looking for pieces loose in the packaging.  A superb model.

2003_01010004 (2).JPG

If mine, when it turns up, looks like that then I'll be delighted. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:


Yes,well Ray,the photographer has replied for himself as is his right .The question I asked was which one of the two doesn’t look right to you. ?  Because both of them can’t be right,can they  as there is a marked discrepancy in shade

 

The example on the right is….an example from the first issue now a decade or more old…Try a match with the photograph you have supplied with your post. 

 

     With respect to your final summation.on accuracy, the paint finish on this model does not justify the accolade.Posting as one among more than a few who have raised issues for years over poor Hornby paint finish.

 

To answer your question, the one on the left looks a different shade of green - however, following my visit to the model shop yesterday i looked online last night at various retailers and those that have uploaded actual photo's of the stocked models and found the actual green on the loco's to be correct and the same as i witnessed, identical to the shade in the picture uploaded by GWR fan.

 

Have you considered maybe sending it back for a replacement and see if the replacement is better? Maybe you go a duff one....Get the retailer to check it before dispatching so you know what you are going to get.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, davidw said:

That one looks better. 

I think the problem is that Bachmann's green looks 'right' in most lighting and whatever camera is used whereas Hornby's doesnt . Hornby's version can be made to look much better by the use of various methods but out of the box it is in varying shades all of which have in common they are lifeless (no depth). They can look better in photographs (a bit like photographic grey!) but never look as good as the image on the carton. Tangerine-yellow lining is a new Hornby phenomena which isnt helping either.

 

And I still don't believe the tops of the running board should be green  - certainly not on an early crest loco.

 

 

 

 

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, creilly81 said:

 

To answer your question, the one on the left looks a different shade of green - however, following my visit to the model shop yesterday i looked online last night at various retailers and those that have uploaded actual photo's of the stocked models and found the actual green on the loco's to be correct and the same as i witnessed, identical to the shade in the picture uploaded by GWR fan.

 

Have you considered maybe sending it back for a replacement and see if the replacement is better? Maybe you go a duff one....Get the retailer to check it before dispatching so you know what you are going to get.

 
Well on that issue we must agree to disagree. If you read retrospectively through this thread,you will see that I already have a l/c earlier issue Clan in a livery that matches Silver Sidelines right hand example..I no way will I seek to purchase an example of this latest edition. I have a correctly liveried and lined Clan and I have yet to see an example of one that is from this issue.
 

 I must admit though I am somewhat surprised by the advancement of the theory that paint shades ex-factory might vary .All things are possible of course and as we say there’s a prototype for everything but that’s one I’ve not heard before.

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

 

 I must admit though I am somewhat surprised by the advancement of the theory that paint shades ex-factory might vary .All things are possible of course and as we say there’s a prototype for everything but that’s one I’ve not heard before.

Agreed, different colour temperature lighting and camera settings seem much more likely.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging colour properly from photos displayed on a colour monitor is just about impossible. It all depends on the lighting colour temperature, white point settings of the camera, gamma settings and RGB colour points of the monitor etc. I've decided to take the risk and look forward to receiving my renamed/renumbered loco from TMC.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

My Clan, R3995,  arrived yesterday purchased new from a local Australian dealer for just over GBP100.00.   I cannot believe that some UK stores want almost GBP220.00 plus GBP45.00 shipping.    I have no issue with the green.  If I was to criticise the model then,  yes,  the lining on the footplate is perhaps a shade or two light when compared to the rest of the lining.  My model arrived completely intact so I did not have to go looking for pieces loose in the packaging.  A superb model.

2003_01010004 (2).JPG

Where from, please

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Fireline said:

Looking at the image of the original, the lining difference around the running plate to the rest of the loco looks prototypical!

 

image.png.fda148edf003952fd848d90f8bb560b5.png

There is a good stash of snowploughs there, they must be expecting business !

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.714e7a881ff0b1441692216f58480d24.png

 

If that photo is representative of the model itself, I would be inclined to reline the valence; paint the surfaces of the running plate black (though they appear to be black in this photo); and give all the green paint a coat of Klear.

 

I can't imagine what caused the gross distortion of the green in the original photo that raised such an adverse reation.

 

CJI.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...