Hornby Clan

The Fatadder

I feel I need to address those comments suggesting that my model is somehow a 'reject'.  I have this morning received a replacement Clan McDonlad from a different retailer to the one that provided Clan Stewart.  I have loaded some comparison pictures, one taken on the layout in artificial light and a couple taken in daylight.  I would say both Stewart and McDonald have identical paint finishes which are significicantly different to the older Clan McLeod (renamed Clan Stewart).  These are all still taken with my Sony DSC camera. 

51557613184_d210c7fc1f_5k.jpg

Clan McDonald + Clan Stewart (R3995 + R3996) LED lighting

51557644034_21ab6247fd_5k.jpg

Clan Stewart R3996 + Clan McDonald R3995 Daylight

51557876445_6105fa8507_5k.jpg

Clan Stewart alias Clan Mcleod + Clan Stewart Daylight

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

This reminds me of a 'problem' we had at work years ago. Some of our engines were painted green, but when they emerged from the paint shop under the factory lights (mercury lamps) they looked turquoise. When the engines were moved outside into daylight they appeared to be the correct green colour. It looks like Rays' LED lamps are causing a colour shift.

Graham 

Furthermore to the above post, when we changed paint suppliers, the colour shift vanished. This was because the new paint supplier used a different formulation of paint, one in which the pigments were not as sensitive to the light source.

I would suspect that the different Hornby factories have their own paint suppliers and this is causing the observed differences in shade under certain conditions.  

Graham

Edited by dagrizz
spelling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Can we all just remember the atrocity that was the green on the Kings when the new version was launched? This green on the Clan is far better than that washed out colour was! Yes the lining is too bright, but I’d say there’s a good chance some darker lining would change the look of the colour of the green. 

“We” haven’t forgotten which is one of the reasons an issue is being made here.. I believe in the case of the Kings a coat of clear varnish was an acceptable fix. Yes the lining isn’t good. But why the discrepancy in shade between first and second issues ?    Presumably down to the individual factory.   But we’ve had green livery issues several times over the last decade,the last being the A2/2 Thompsons etc.  

Steam image models are however not the only section of Hornby’s rtr to suffer inaccurate livery. The latest iteration of the Hornby GBRF Class 50 has run into difficulties with appraisal by modern image members of this forum.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

Furthermore to the above post, when we changed paint suppliers, the colour shift vanished. This was because the new paint supplier used a different formulation of paint, one in which the pigments were not as sensitive to the light source.

I would suspect that the different Hornby factories have their own paint suppliers and this is causing the observed differences in shade under certain conditions.  

Graham

So does this model originate in different batches from different factories…..is that your conclusion?

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So does this model originate in different batches from different factories…..is that your conclusion?

That would make no sense, I guess there's a possibility that the current factory used more than one batch of paint. IIRC the original batch Clan originated from Sanda Kan, whereas I very much doubt the current one is from them. I still think we're more likely looking at different light sources in terms of apparent colour variation within the current batch.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, spamcan61 said:

That would make no sense, I guess there's a possibility that the current factory used more than one batch of paint. IIRC the original batch Clan originated from Sanda Kan, whereas I very much doubt the current one is from them. I still think we're more likely looking at different light sources in terms of apparent colour variation within the current batch.

Maybe not but if the op has a theory I’d like to hear what he has to say. Sanda Kan is out of the game.btw.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

I feel I need to address those comments suggesting that my model is somehow a 'reject'.  I have this morning received a replacement Clan McDonlad from a different retailer to the one that provided Clan Stewart.  I have loaded some comparison pictures, one taken on the layout in artificial light and a couple taken in daylight.  I would say both Stewart and McDonald have identical paint finishes which are significicantly different to the older Clan McLeod (renamed Clan Stewart).  These are all still taken with my Sony DSC camera. 

51557613184_d210c7fc1f_5k.jpg

Clan McDonald + Clan Stewart (R3995 + R3996)

51557644034_21ab6247fd_5k.jpg

Clan Stewart R3996 + Clan McDonald R3995

51557876445_6105fa8507_5k.jpg

Clan Stewart alias Clan Mcleod + Clan Stewart

Clan Stewart /Mcleod is a first issue model I presume ?

You havent shown a full length photo of the latest release. On the other photos shown so far , there appears a difference on the footplate liningOrange  paint shade, to the Boiler ,Cab and Tender areas of the  Loco. Is yours the same shade of "Yellow" ,the whole length of the Loco ?

I apologise as I said perhaps it is a reject model.

Other than the lighting possibility, why is yours carrying  what appears to be Yellow lining , all the other photos shown so far have the same Orange shade of lining. Or does the lining look Orange on your model to your eyes, in daylight ?.

44 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

No, it seems from the posts above that the original batch of Clans were made in a different factory to the current batch. I'm suggesting that the paint suppliers might also be different.

Graham

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, dagrizz said:

No, it seems from the posts above that the original batch of Clans were made in a different factory to the current batch. I'm suggesting that the paint suppliers might also be different.

Graham

OK .After a decade they naturally will be.What concerned me is that the colour could be considered different in shade between individual batches from the same factory. Thanks. BTW looking again at a F/B image from Monk Bar Models,the lining on the new issues appears as yellow. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, micklner said:

. Or does the lining look Orange on your model to your eyes, in daylight ?.

Hello Mick - I have posted three pictures above.  The first is a comparison of R3995 and R3996 under LED lighting.

The second picture is taken on the kitchen table in daylight - again a comparison of R3995 and R3996.

The third picture is a comparison of R3996 (the latest Stewart) and my own version of Stewart renamed from R2847 (Clan McLeod).

I understand that colours appear appear differently according to the type of illumination.  However in my opinion there is a noticeable difference between the old and new Clan models under both LED lighting and in daylight.  Personnally I think the lining all along the footplate is too bright but as I have said on Flickr - by the time the model is on the layout and running round I don't think it will be as big a problem as the green top to the running plate.

There was another comment made about the buffers being newly tooled.  I don't know what that is about - old and new buffers all look the same to my untutored eye.  (All explained now - there is a step in the shiny metal shank (or not as the case maybe).  I was looking at the step in the red plastic moulding.  Thank you cji).

Cheers

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

There was another comment made about the buffers being newly tooled.  I don't know what that is about - old and new buffers all look the same to my untutored eye.

Look at the shiny bit behind buffer heads; there is a step in the original version that is (correctly) not there on the new version.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Look at the shiny bit behind buffer heads; there is a step in the original version that is (correctly) not there on the new version.

CJI.

Agree - never noticed that before. Just checked on the my 2 Brits, present on 70052 and the later made 70044

• RMweb Gold

My 72008 from the original release taken in natural light with an iPhone. Looks ok as far as green goes but not as good as 10001 that happens to be stabled behind it. And that etched plate could do with a little adjustment I can now see :blink:

63B48C25-BFC8-4CF5-80D4-56723D9001AC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Fireline said:

Looking at the image of the original, the lining difference around the running plate to the rest of the loco looks prototypical!

image.png.fda148edf003952fd848d90f8bb560b5.png

Yes it looks my eye that the footplate lining is more yellow than boiler, cylinders and possibly tender.

I subscribe to the rgb colour temperature camera lighting etc variations being primary variables.

Some pic shown today look quite close to the original Clan production series, others are somewhat more yellow.

Are not males rather commonly rather blind in green colour perception, statistically?

11 hours ago, ikks said:

Where from, please

Mike

Mike,

I reported on this back on September 25th with a link.  The loco was purchased from Metro Hobbies in Victoria.  At the time the store was offering a 20% off discount on all eBay listed Hornby stock.  Another member was also fortunate enough to take up the offer.  

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Mike,

I reported on this back on September 25th with a link.  The loco was purchased from Metro Hobbies in Victoria.  At the time the store was offering a 20% off discount on all eBay listed Hornby stock.  Another member was also fortunate enough to take up the offer.  

Thanks mate, missed your September posting:(

Mike