Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Modern 1:76 Scale Colour Light Signals

modelmaker87

I agree that the drawing has the feet at 90° and the SHS is mitred off at 5°. However on the real base (photo attached) it is clearly the feet that are an angle fabricated from welded plate at 85° with the SHS attached square.

post-6894-093457800 1287676557_thumb.jpg

Cav

Yep, agree cav. As you have probably realised I'm working to the drawing. Tell you what, if those feet shown in the photo came through my inspection room they would have been rejected. Errrr, I wonder if I was provided the correct drawing or the image is of the prototype beta unit, or, or, or......It sure begs the question that there is not one of us that can be 100% certain that any of our models of any protoype are accurate...????? Dontcha just love it. :D :D :D

Thanks for the follow up.

Cheers, Tony

Guest jim s-w

Yep, agree cav. As you have probably realised I'm working to the drawing. Tell you what, if those feet shown in the photo came through my inspection room they would have been rejected. Errrr, I wonder if I was provided the correct drawing or the image is of the prototype beta unit, or, or, or......It sure begs the question that there is not one of us that can be 100% certain that any of our models of any protoype are accurate...????? Dontcha just love it. :D :D :D

Thanks for the follow up.

Cheers, Tony

My bet would be that it's a different drawing or changes were made in the shop. Certainly makes a bit more sence to have the arm pushing into the bracket than relying just on the weld

Cheers

Jim

My bet would be that it's a different drawing or changes were made in the shop. Certainly makes a bit more sence to have the arm pushing into the bracket than relying just on the weld

Cheers

Jim

The good thing about yours, cav's and my discussion here is that first of all, I understand where you were coming from and I figure you understand where my starting point was. I agree that the design was no doubt changed along the line, its not an unusual circumstance to happen. I'm not 100% sure but if I was a betting man, that image which I received was, the, or one of the first installations. Our Mike T may well confirm which was what or what was which.

So now I have to make a decision on whether to scrap some of the parts I have made and change the design to the 85 degree foot or go with the drawing. Mike T is up in the highlands of Scotland at the mo, so we'll all have to wait for his decish.

I'll go back to the target board and shroud as I see I have made an error, easy rectification, nothing a file can't do. But I'll post the detail of what I end up doing, its tomorrows job - Friday.

Cheers, Tony

Tony

I wasn't putting the thumbs down to the model, simply making Jims point clearer as I felt you'd misunderstood his line of questioning. I certainly wouldn't scrap anything as the model is 100% good enough as it is whether 100% accurate or not. Unless someone had a picture of it right beside and compared it with an inhuman eagle eye I really don't think it matters.

Cav

Tony

I wasn't putting the thumbs down to the model, simply making Jims point clearer as I felt you'd misunderstood his line of questioning. I certainly wouldn't scrap anything as the model is 100% good enough as it is whether 100% accurate or not. Unless someone had a picture of it right beside and compared it with an inhuman eagle eye I really don't think it matters.

Cav

Cav, I know you weren't, no sweat buddy and you raising this question was excellent and I'm very glad you did.

Chatting to Jim offlist I explained to him that all I am is a model maker, nothing more. I know very little about the railways of Britain and the infrastructure for it. My contribution to WFRM is to make models that the guys want as close as I can according to the info they provide me. If they provide me a piece of crap then I'll make the piece of crap, I don't question the gurus, they all know more than I. But I usually ask for dimensions of the piece of crap... :rolleyes: hehehehehehe.

In this case I was following the dwg and using the images I was provided as a guide, rather than the other way round. In retrospect I think that because of that my mind was totally focused on the dwg detail and not on the image whereas Jim could only focus on the image and picked up on the 5 degree angle. If he had the drawing as well as the image then the discussion between the three of us would have been somewhat different.

So please Cav, no worries, I enjoy the comments, right, wrong or whatever.

Cheers, Tony

Hi Guys,

When I made the target board I used a 3 aspect dwg dimension and later found that the target board I had made was a little too tall. Yeah, well I

do these things. So I removed the requisite amount of material from the top and reduced its height to the correct dimension for this singe aspect.

post-6847-014808700 1287847918_thumb.jpg

That error rectified I then made the additional lower board and riveted that to the larger board.

post-6847-058310200 1287847982_thumb.jpg

Back to the legs next week when I have heard back from signal guru Mike T on the angle question.

Later, Tony

We've been looking at signals this morning Tone (you should recognise this one ! )

For those who aren't sure what the prototype is (this isn't identical but gives the idea)

Mike said that the unit I'm building does not have platform, guard rail or ladder. Did the Mikey mention anything about the legs, not that it matters much anyway, they end up buried in the ballast. B)

Cheers, Tone

The good thing about yours, cav's and my discussion here is that first of all, I understand where you were coming from and I figure you understand where my starting point was. I agree that the design was no doubt changed along the line, its not an unusual circumstance to happen. I'm not 100% sure but if I was a betting man, that image which I received was, the, or one of the first installations. Our Mike T may well confirm which was what or what was which.

So now I have to make a decision on whether to scrap some of the parts I have made and change the design to the 85 degree foot or go with the drawing. Mike T is up in the highlands of Scotland at the mo, so we'll all have to wait for his decish.

I'll go back to the target board and shroud as I see I have made an error, easy rectification, nothing a file can't do. But I'll post the detail of what I end up doing, its tomorrows job - Friday.

Cheers, Tony

Hi Tone and others

It's very easy to close out the questions regarding the differences between the drawing and the images - they are different manufacturers items! As he said Tony is basing the model on the drawing as per the brief provided. The image was additional info so that he could get the feel for what he is making and I must admit I hadn't appreciated the differences when I sent it. The images posted by Beast this morning show yet a third variation where the legs are round tube rather than square/rectangular as per our model however similarly it is the tube that has an angled end.

So Tony please continue with the build and no need to scrap anything. I love the added touch of the plate at the bottom of the target board by the way!!

Hope this clears things up.

Regards

Mike

We've been looking at signals this morning Tone (you should recognise this one ! )

Dave, The penny (cent) has dropped. That number - CR212, thought I recognised it. Was reading Mike's response and went back up to take another shufty of your piccies. Its one of the Charlotte Road signal numbers.

Kewel....Tone

Mike, thanks for clarifying the foot angle discussion. 10-4. Will continue as ordered.... :)

Cheers, Tone

Having got the green from Mike I moved a little further with the single aspect. Nowhere complete but I have a 'red over green' slow

approach.

I have to give my appreciation to Pete Harvey for innocently giving me a big push. Thanks to Pete's comments on those inconvenient

rectangular apertures in the ends of the legs, well, I managed to put all three where the photo shows them to be.

post-6847-003677800 1288012144_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

This signal is relatively simple signal when compared to the bracket signal I had previously made for WVY. I wanted it to be a bit special

since its the final signal I will make for Vine Yard. So I decided to have the head prototypically tilt so that Dave and Mike can really align

the light source properly and be able to correctly align it prototypically with the oncoming drivers sightline. To do this I made this bracket

following manufacturing drawings. Mine is brass and bent into the shape whereas the big boys made theirs from mild steel and is a welded

fabrication. This difference was me using my modellers licence and is one of my compromises in this build.

post-6847-054413900 1288967942_thumb.jpg

The below image shows the head located with .006" (.152mm) dia brass wire fitted into .007" (.177mm) holes drilled in the appropriate

places. The head is tilted upwards.

post-6847-020689900 1288967913_thumb.jpg

And this image shows the head tilted downwards. The different position of the pin riding along the arc is noticeable.

post-6847-006011000 1288968333_thumb.jpg

Getting the tilt all working good allowed me to move to the next part of the build which was assembling the target board c/w all the wires.

post-6847-050859300 1288968460_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

• RMweb Gold

Here's a long necked version for anybody wanting prototype inspiration.

This one is worked by Mickle Trafford lever 2, and was part of the resignalling which saw the abolition of Mouldsworth Junction box - a CLC one - which was immediately behind it.

post-6662-039973600 1288971381_thumb.jpg

post-6662-011050700 1288971416_thumb.jpg

Tone - looking very good mate B)

Tone - looking very good mate B)

Thanks Dave, since its going to be installed on one of the best modern layouts around it had to have something extra. The tilting, I don't know of any layout any scale that has this adjustment mechanism modelled on/in it.

I like the additional photos you have posted, great info, ta. Unfotunately this prototype model signal, per Mike, doesn't have a platform, handrails or ladder.

One thing I will need for next weeks work is a number for the sign board. Also confirm if its white lettering on black background or vice versa. Before Monday would be nice if you could as I will have to do it in the disputer and make my own decal for it if its white lettering on black b/g.

Cheers, Tone

Tone,

Where do you get you PCB from for making your wonderful signals? Fantastic as usual by the way.

Thanks Richard

Thanks Richard, appreciate it. C+L sell it. 10 thou thick PCB, its around 3 quid for a sheet the size of an A4. They'll be at the Wigan show, as I will with this signal on show for people to wiggle the head until it breaks. :D :D :D

HTH

Cheers, Tony

OK, then how about the info on the sign board. I.D. info and colour info, please.

Cheers, Tone

Hi Tone

The signal is VD 102 and the lettering is white on a black background. You may already have this decal from when you built the original signal this will replace.

Regards

Mike

Hi Tone

The signal is VD 102 and the lettering is white on a black background. You may already have this decal from when you built the original signal this will replace.

Regards Mike

Thanks Mike. I have my original artwork still, if I can find it. Cough, splutter and choke.

Do I get my original signal back now in return for this new bad boy..? ;)

Cheers Tony

Thanks Richard, appreciate it. C+L sell it. 10 thou thick PCB, its around 3 quid for a sheet the size of an A4. They'll be at the Wigan show, as I will with this signal on show for people to wiggle the head until it breaks. :D :D :D

HTH

Cheers, Tony

Hi Tony,

This looks superb, really fantastic.

A couple of questions, is the LED a 2 or 3 colour LED? And where can they be obtained. I have seen the single colours LEDs available in this size but not bi/tri-colour.

Secondly, is the PCB available on the C&L website? I've had quick scan and searched for PCB but nothing comes up.

Thanks.

Rich

Hi Tony,

This looks superb, really fantastic.

A couple of questions, is the LED a 2 or 3 colour LED? And where can they be obtained. I have seen the single colours LEDs available in this size but not bi/tri-colour.

Secondly, is the PCB available on the C&L website? I've had quick scan and searched for PCB but nothing comes up.

Thanks.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

The LED is a tri-colour. I have no idea where it came from other than it landed in my post box mailed to me from the boys at WFRM. I build the signals for them and they (WFRM) suppy all the interesting bits.

Perhaps an e-mail to sales at C+L. They say they are there to help the modeller..?

Sorry I can't be of better help to you. :(

Cheers, Tony

Hi Guys,

Before painting I wanted to add a few more details. The images are all close ups and the blemishes and things that look terrible I can assure

are imperceptible, if not invisible to the human eye at normal viewing distance. First up I added the post lugs.

post-6847-084827700 1289313504_thumb.jpg

NBW's always add that little bit, like a sprinkle of pepper & salt on ones dinner plate. A bagatelle detail but they make a difference. I was

surprised to see the left hand one cut at an angle. Doesn't show at all when eyeballed.

post-6847-001883800 1289313597_thumb.jpg

These eyebolts will be the last parts to install after painting. They are located either side of the aspect head.

post-6847-080228300 1289313759_thumb.jpg

And today it gets one of its three different colours. Gray. The black gets painted this coming Saturday and the best I can find as an equivalent

to the colour/shine of galvanized steel goes on next week, probably Wednesday.

post-6847-066296300 1289313855_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Archived