Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

Wrong shade of Black, the sides are too thick, the bogies are wrong, the wheels are .00001 mm too big.

Just thought sitting in my armchair i would get the usual critisicisms in first. wink.gif

Well actually looking at it while sat here in my armchair it looks to be .00002 too small!:P

Looks like my pocket gets lighter again

Guest stuartp

Sou'west modellers not already in penury after gorging themselves on Clans are reminded that one of these (or something very like it) finished up at Ayr in the 1950s. 7162 / 47182 was known locally as 'The Chipcart' and used to shunt the harbour. One might well find its way to Portwilliam (BR black please Chris !).

Nice ! Thanks !biggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

Any ideas on when this sentinel is going to be available from?

... and what it'll cost? I know it may seem a bit early to pin down the price to the last penny, but I'm guessing that the shrewd bods at Model Rail and Dapol will have a pretty good idea of what the damage will be.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure one will find it's way to Finsbury Square, to relieve the 03 on the West Side Pilot turn! :D

I'd be hugely surprised if it didn't also venture over the Mendips, trundle along Cornish mineral branches, biff wagons about for midlands brewers, pootle about the yards of highlands distilleries and shuffle secretively around all manner of improbable MOD depots. It's a rather inspired choice that would allow the same basic running gear to be used with the variety of different body styles that Sentinel employed over the years. My only disappointment (and it is a very, very, very small disappointment) is that it is still a mainline/industrial crossover loco rather than a purely industrial type; but I believe that it does bring that day closer.

When? A year's time + an allowance for over-run.

How much? We do have a price but it's much too early to make it public.

Will it have clearance for P4? No idea at present - the spec is given in the magazine but that doesn't mean it won't change if we find that it has to.

CHRIS LEIGH

When? A year's time + an allowance for over-run.

How much? We do have a price but it's much too early to make it public.

Will it have clearance for P4? No idea at present - the spec is given in the magazine but that doesn't mean it won't change if we find that it has to.

CHRIS LEIGH

You'll have some very happy campers if it does have clearence mon ;)

I have doubts about clearances as there's a huge amount to get into a very small space. This could well be the first powered OO item from Dapol and will therefore need a lot of proving tests etc. Frankly, we'll be happy if it looks good and runs well in OO. If there happens to be enough room to get broader gauges in, that'll be a bonus. The primary objective is to have a good little OO loco that pleases customers and gives us a reasonable return on a very big investment. For that reason, unpainted examples and part-assembled examples won't happen - because there's no margin to be had on such things.

CHRIS LEIGH

... and what it'll cost? I know it may seem a bit early to pin down the price to the last penny, but I'm guessing that the shrewd bods at Model Rail and Dapol will have a pretty good idea of what the damage will be.

And how much will it pull? I have a NuCast one on a Tenshodo and "itself, reliably " would be a good start.....

This will be a useful loco for the LNER modeller but it may be necessary to pay attention to the grills - there were quite a lot of variations as extra ventilation was added to successive batches for the benefit of the crew

• RMweb Premium

I have doubts about clearances as there's a huge amount to get into a very small space. This could well be the first powered OO item from Dapol and will therefore need a lot of proving tests etc.

Hi Chris,

Didn't they make a L&Y Pug??

Cheers,

Mick

And how much will it pull?

So many questions! We won't know how much it will pull until we test the engineering sample. At present we are as far as the CAD drawings illustrated in the magazine. There's a lot of development work to be done and it isn't even started. We'll be looking at possible belt drive and whether we have a CDU-type installation to smooth the current supply to the motor over things such as dead frog points.

We're entirely in uncharted waters. As I said earlier, no magazine has embarked on a project like this before. We will keep readers up to date with progress through the magazine but, at the moment, if the question is not answered in the current issue, we either don't know the answer or aren't willing to provide an answer at this time.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 3

And how much will it pull?

So many questions! We won't know how much it will pull until we test the engineering sample. At present we are as far as the CAD drawings illustrated in the magazine. There's a lot of development work to be done and it isn't even started. We'll be looking at possible belt drive and whether we have a CDU-type installation to smooth the current supply to the motor over things such as dead frog points.

We're entirely in uncharted waters. As I said earlier, no magazine has embarked on a project like this before. We will keep readers up to date with progress through the magazine but, at the moment, if the question is not answered in the current issue, we either don't know the answer or aren't willing to provide an answer at this time.

CHRIS LEIGH

If Dapol can achieve a commercial version of something like this http://www.clag.org.uk/axle-hung.html you'll have little problem with traction. Obviously you'll have more space for a motor than these solutions too so could use a slightly larger motor. The example Ted had at Scaleforum 2008 had a surprising amount of torque to it. A nice mazak (or tungsten I think it was Dapol were looking at for the class 22) chassis built around such a compact unit and you'll be fine. I've axlehung a couple to drive a 2-car dmu.

Looking at DapolDave's comment in the Dapol thread on this project though they seem to already have an idea on the drive system.

Interesting idea on the built in capacitor. Most chips use a separate set of tabs for this in DCC so don't know what would happen if you put something in the supply.

hope this helps?

cheers

Dave

Thanks for that information Dave, very informative and its certainly improved a lot to get the scanning done so quickly. Sounds like the sort of kit the Rome catacombs were scanned with.

Not a long turnaround to useful data either.

I'd be hugely surprised if it didn't also venture over the Mendips, trundle along Cornish mineral branches, biff wagons about for midlands brewers, pootle about the yards of highlands distilleries and shuffle secretively around all manner of improbable MOD depots. It's a rather inspired choice that would allow the same basic running gear to be used with the variety of different body styles that Sentinel employed over the years. My only disappointment (and it is a very, very, very small disappointment) is that it is still a mainline/industrial crossover loco rather than a purely industrial type; but I believe that it does bring that day closer.

Sorry to disapoint you nearly all the later ones were 4' 9" wheelbase, these had 7' wheelbase. :icon_e_sad: as if the shorter wheelbase had been used on up to approx 10 different bodies styles.

"What will it pull?" Well given that the real one on the Middleton can struggle with two coaches (converted BR PMVs) on wet rail up to the Park (which is admittedly 1 in 49 at its steepest point) then not much more than that really. These were designed as light yard shunters, not to take 30 HAAs over Ais Gill!! I'm sure it will be a great model of a widespread prototype - looking forward to it!