Rail Express Modeller - November 2010

jonathan452

Saw this at Waterloo Station WH Smith last night - will buy tonight.

I'll leave it for one of the experts on this site to review it's contents fully.

Save to say that from my quick 'skim read' the Hornby Pretendolino pack had only just arrived as they were going to press so a full review will take place the following month (December).

Ravenscraig article is interesting: excellent photography, as usual.

Scarborough signal gantry feature: brief but interesting.

Innotrans trade show coverage: enough to make you wish we had the Berne gauge, so that this stuff could run in the UK.

The various news bits - traction, units, wagons, network etc. are what they are: I found this month's quite interesting.

Modelling supplement: reviews of Dapol IOA and Bachmann Autoballaster - both generally positive (overwhelmingly so, in the case of the Bachmann; a couple of reservations but a "highly recommended" for Dapol); some impressive shots of an O-gauge class 20 in BR green with TOPS numbers; the TML box wagon article - very good, IMHO.

Overall, I'd say that this was a pretty typical issue. People who like what REx offers will like it. I bought it and enjoyed it. Minor peeve: not thrilled with the centre-spread ad for the new publisher's other titles, although I realise that we're coming up to the "buy a subscription for someone as a Christmas present" season. HOWEVER... couldn't the cut-out entry coupon for the Warley competition have been printed so that it backed onto that, rather than onto the class 20 photo spread? I was going to enter via their website, but if I'd been planning to enter in writing I'd have been cross about that.

Jim

The modelling section is mainly reviews and ads- they seem to have given up on layouts; it was a more interesting read

when they did feature them. Little on the hints/tips/project side either. The JLTRT class 20 was just pictures with little

informative text. Although a subscriber I doubt whether I will renew next time.

• RMweb Gold

not seen the mag yet as i'm on hols but regards the TML wagon article i think my stepdad still has the original drawings for the wagons somewhere, his company (c.c.crump) made the spoil wagons for the chunnel.

i remember when i was little he gave me an important job, i had to try and get the concrete sections of the chunnel to fit into the wagons, basically he gave me a piece of card (wagon footprint) and scale cut outs of the sections, i then had to get them to fit into the box, a'la tetris!!

when crumps moved from dock road in connahs quay some concrete sections of the channel tunnel were left there blocking off the land, i think they are still there to be honest!!

Have to say the Ravenscraig article was the only reason I bought it, interesting photography locations, especially as I work in the area regularly now and every now and then stumble across another bit of old trackbed getting lifted. The 85 on the short Speedlink gives interesting modelling potential. But I could have done more content in the article.

And have all the sources for detailing RTR products dried up?

Archived