New Farish Mk1s

Modernist

Has anyone got their hands on one of the new Mk1s yet? Not sure if they're out, although they were meant to release last month I think. They look good in the latest issue of Model Rail. As I don't have any n gauge coaches for my 1960s layout I'll be purchasing a number of these. Am I right in thinking there's a new GUV included too?

Has anyone got their hands on one of the new Mk1s yet? Not sure if they're out, although they were meant to release last month I think. They look good in the latest issue of Model Rail. As I don't have any n gauge coaches for my 1960s layout I'll be purchasing a number of these. Am I right in thinking there's a new GUV included too?

I don't think there is a new GUV yet.

Cheers,

Alan

No, but I believe there is one on the horizon? Or is that wishful thinking?

cheers

Darren

Anything is possible, but Bachmann have made no indication of such, though they do now have the policy of not announcing models until they are imminent.

Cheers,

Alan

I'd presume that Farish are going to revist all of the MK1 derived stock in due course to bring it to up to this standard, so BG and GUV should happen soonish (next few years). I'd hope that the new underframe with close coupling mechanism can be applied to the MK1 Pullman coaches in the future as it's really the only thing lacking on them at the moment (ditto the suburbans...) though these two types would probably be lower priority than the Poole designed MK1 stock.

Something I've noticed is that all the review samples are riding on BR1 bogies, even the blue-grey where they are shown on the Bachmann site (and at Leamington) with B4 bogies. The B4s looked like they sat a bit high, with large wheels. Are these undergoing a re-design I wonder? All the same, I'm rather looking forward to these!

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

Something I've noticed is that all the review samples are riding on BR1 bogies, even the blue-grey where they are shown on the Bachmann site (and at Leamington) with B4 bogies. The B4s looked like they sat a bit high, with large wheels. Are these undergoing a re-design I wonder? All the same, I'm rather looking forward to these!

cheers

jo

Given that Farish have a commonwealth bogie (from the MK1 Pulmans) it would be nice to see this fitted to some of the coaches with later liveries, rather than the B1's. Do Farish have a decent B4 bogie to put under these or is it an old moulding? If they have a decent one then it would be good to see these under the last colour variations.

I hadn't actually noticed that the Farish publicity shots were on B4 bogies - they don't look like the ones from the old Mark 2s though.

If the Mk1s have close-coupling mechanisms, I would have thought that they would all need new bogie mouldings without coupling pockets etc themselves, so new BR1 and B4 bogies make sense ... and it would be difficult to reuse the Commonwealth bogie from the Pullman?

and it would be difficult to reuse the Commonwealth bogie from the Pullman?

Probably, but not that difficult to produce new tooling as unlike the existing B4's they'll have recent CAD work for them (just as they had with the BR1's that are on the first ones out of the trap).

• RMweb Premium

If the Mk1s have close-coupling mechanisms, I would have thought that they would all need new bogie mouldings without coupling pockets etc themselves, so new BR1 and B4 bogies make sense ... and it would be difficult to reuse the Commonwealth bogie from the Pullman?

Do the new MK1's have a close coupling mechanism?

They don't exist. They don't exist. They don't exist. They don't exist....

Pix

Oh yes they do! They have arrived in my local hobby shop in Mid-Norfolk, but I don't think I'm going to sell off my fleet of flat sided Mk 1's in order to upgrade! The new ones are very nice indeed, and the 3-D details on the sides are certainly clearly visible when you pick up a coach even while it is in its packaging. Close-coupling is probably another bonus, but there is definitely a price to be paid for these improvements!

For those who are looking for remaining stocks of the 'flat-sided' ones, both Galaxy at Ipswich and Jennings at Enfield had them at good prices in very recent lists.

Richard

Guest Max Stafford

And I'll vouch for that! They're every bit as good as the 4mm ones. Oh dear, they really do start to stir long dormant ideas about the 1950s West Highland with black fives and B1s...

(Stop it!) ;)

Dave.

cheers

jo

hmm, does this mean they will use the new larger wheel that they used under the stanier coaches? these are 7.45mm dia for 3'7" prototype (i think).

ben

And I'll vouch for that! They're every bit as good as the 4mm ones. Oh dear, they really do start to stir long dormant ideas about the 1950s West Highland with black fives and B1s...

(Stop it!) ;)

Dave.

Go one Dave, you know you want to :rolleyes:. Think of all these Borders locos you could have as well.

I beg to differ on this. The older versions are around £15.00 RRP, whilst the new ones are at a retail price of £17.95. About a 20% increase in price for a huge leap forward in quality.

Having just got some today I can wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. It's only when you see the new one that you realise how elderly the previous version is becoming! The biggest noticable difference at a glance are the larger diameter wheels and lack of gap between bogies and body which looks so much better than the old models. The end profile of the corridor connection and the buffers are also much better.

The coaches are much more free rolling too, indeed they will roll away on the slightest of slopes, even in multiples - I've had a 12 coacher roll away on me today!

The corridor connections can be closed to zero gap if one of the short shank rapidos is used - this can be my only gripe - that there are none enclosed.

Old Mk1 on left; new to the right.

post-7627-086508400 1288478061_thumb.jpg

One interesting thing is that the blue SKs are numbered with an SC Scottish allocation prefix - surprising as I's have thought the majority of these would have been M, E or W allocated.

Cheers,

Alan

Archived