Help needed indentifying manufacturer.

JZ

I got this in a job lot of freight car I bought. I know it is a bit too recent for my n-gauge project, but I would like to update it with either Atlas or MicroTrains couplers. I have taken it apart and there is no makers name anywhere on the mouldings. The truck wheels appear to be the same type as Atlas fit. But the trucks themselves are too far inboard to fit Atlas extended coupling trucks. The nearest pattern I can find is Barber roller bearing truck from MicroTrains. Unfortunately there is no picture on the MG Sharp website of the long extension ones. Any help gratefully received.

25102010122g.jpg

I got this in a job lot of freight car I bought. I know it is a bit too recent for my n-gauge project, but I would like to update it with either Atlas or MicroTrains couplers. I have taken it apart and there is no makers name anywhere on the mouldings. The truck wheels appear to be the same type as Atlas fit. But the trucks themselves are too far inboard to fit Atlas extended coupling trucks. The nearest pattern I can find is Barber roller bearing truck from MicroTrains. Unfortunately there is no picture on the MG Sharp website of the long extension ones. Any help gratefully received.

25102010122g.jpg

Dear Julian,

Strongly suspect this is a Red Caboose N scale Reefer.

http://intermountain-railway.com/distrib/redcaboose/html/RN-17235.htm

http://www.yesteryearmodels.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=YM&Product_Code=RN-17235&Category_Code=n62footinsulboxcar

Hope this Helps,

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

It's a Walthers model (#932-8006) and actually quite rare!

post-6959-097758100 1288001153_thumb.jpg

You'll probably be better off fitting body mounted MT couplers and separate bogies.

Cheers

David

Dear David,

Well spotted, I was wondering why I couldn't find pics of the RC version with the blue "Universal Frozen Foods" logo... ;)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Thanks.

Only thing is with body mounted is reverse curves.

Dear Julian,

Reverse curves are only an issue if your trackplan is not designed with respect for the length of cars you intend to run... ;)

Running truck-mount couplers on such a car with the trucks soo far inboard will also result in couplers with a swing which simply cannot be visually "explained away" when operated on "N scale minimum" 9' radii curves.

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

• 2 weeks later...

Archived