New train room

TonyW

Have just completed the train room - garage attic conversion, now for some layout inspiration! Room measures 6.5m x 3.9m and is accessed via a loft ladder, so no doors to get in the way.

I model in 00 scale, steam/diesel era and most of my stock is LMR biased. Some layouts I admire for atmosphere are Dewsbury Midland and Greasley Beat, whilst Dalby Wood and Owen Street have plenty of action.

Had considered something based on Rugby Midland, West Coast mainline expresses, large loco depot (need somewhere for my newley acquired Bachmann coaling tower! A junction with a variety of local passenger traffic, lots of freight traffic from local heavy industry (or there was 50 years ago)large goods yard, gas works etc. Only trouble is I spent most of my life in and around Rugby and spent a large part of that time plotting to escape!

Seem to have hit a mental block now, just keep filling the waste paper basket with quarter scribbled plans - need inspiration.

Tony

post-415-069723100 1288106399_thumb.jpg

WOW, Nice room mate i wish i had that space, if my wife knew i had that kind of space, she would have other ideas , and it would not be railway ideas.

MSWJR

Thanks, We self built our own house up here, the wife has taken over the whole house! I'm left with the garage for my kit car and the garage loft for the trains.

Tony

Good luck with that room Tony, and welcome to Rmweb.

Nice way to start a thread.

My only advice would be ......

1. Don't rush the planning stage. Enjoy the sketching - but keep it rough. Everything changes when you start laying track anyway! - I had about 7 years of detailed CAD sketches - fun in it's own right - but not much help till I got to the basics of track geometry and what was possible.
  2. With a room that size - try to design it so you can complete portions as you go. Your enthusiasm will wane over time - if you tackle it in stages - you can break the monotony of repetitive tasks like ballasting, wiring etc - and if you complete a loop at least you can play trains while you "bull up" each section.

Hope you keep us posted as you go - good luck.

Stuart

Hi there Tony,

Like the room. In regards to your layout can I suggest that you follow what Brush47337 and Kris have suggested as in design and build slowly and not try to rush things too much, possibly do a particular area first, see how you like it and then build upon it.

Colin

One thing strikes me, those eaves are going to restrict the height of your baseboards quite a lot and cause problems with backscenes, low relief buildings etc so your layout will need planning so that your coaling tower ( for instance ) is away from the wall by quite a margin to prevent shadows falling.

How do I know all this? I have a sloping ceiling and a Velux window on one side of my layout.

Nice space you have there.

is the lighting going to be sufficient for your needs?!

No problem with lighting, there are 4 x 5 foot flourecent tubes and a window at each end of the room, the front window looks out to sea if I get bored playing trains!

Tony

One thing strikes me, those eaves are going to restrict the height of your baseboards quite a lot and cause problems with backscenes, low relief buildings etc so your layout will need planning so that your coaling tower ( for instance ) is away from the wall by quite a margin to prevent shadows falling.

How do I know all this? I have a sloping ceiling and a Velux window on one side of my layout.

Hi David, yes the eaves will be restrictive on the width, they start 1 metre up from the floor so I am planning a lower base board height of about 950mm, not ideal but I plan to use chairs rather than stand - its an age thing! May run a couple of hidden storage sidings behind the backscenes so long as I can get access for any derailments.

Hi there Tony,

Like the room. In regards to your layout can I suggest that you follow what Brush47337 and Kris have suggested as in design and build slowly and not try to rush things too much, possibly do a particular area first, see how you like it and then build upon it.

Colin

Hi Colin, Thanks, whilst I really want to get going I am going to resist the temptation to dive straight in and cut wood. I am planning different levels so the baseboards will need to reflect this rather than my previous layouts which used 'flat earth' baseboards. Fortunatly the wood work and geometric layout of the track isn't a problem its just getting inspiration for the actual plan. Will be going to Warley next month so hope that stirs the grey cell a little.

Tony

I am currently building small modules that link so that I maintain an interest through to something that is considered complete if not completely finished.

I agree with the others - do a rough loop at the start to get something moving for when you just want to sit back and watch but work on an area at a time so that you never feel overwhelmed by the total size of the room.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Archived