Class 27's at Gloucester in 1968

• 4 years later...

paulbb, on 05 December 2010 - 13:24 , said:

Note that in the first image of D5377/90 there is also a glimpse of what looks like 2 stored West Country/BB pacifics.

Presumably on their way to Barry Docks (Woodhams?)?

very well spotted

Mike

I think those Bulleids weren't on their way to Barry - by May '68 (date of photo) the last few Southern steam locos were being hauled from storage at Weymouth and Salisbury to scrapyards such as Cashmores and Buttigiegs, from which there was no chance of escape.

It occurred to me that I could have seen those two in steam back in '67..... sad.gif - I wonder which ones they were.

Considering how long the journey took from Salisbury - Newport, with a lengthy layover at Gloucester you could pick pick anyone from the following workings........ 

Saturday 6-1-68

34036 + 34052 + 73020 + 76069 all hauled Weymouth MPD to Newport

Saturday 20-1-68

34093 + 34095 + 73092 all hauled Weymouth MPD to Newport (attached 76009 at Westbury)

Saturday 9-3-68

73043 + 73118 + 34087 + 30071 all hauled Salisbury to Newport

Saturday 16-3-68

34060 + 34024 + 34089 + 73085 all hauled Salisbury to Newport

Saturday 30-3-68

34034 + 35023 + 34102 all hauled Salisbury MPD to Newport

Brian R

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Anything new on it Peter?

Phil

From what has been said on both topics it appears at least one link of Saltley drivers signed 27's.  Thus appearances on workings emanating from and returning to the Birmingham area rostered for such drivers was quite possible although it is doubtful this happened very often.  It would also need a 27 to be available and not allocated to a working back to more familiar territory.  At least some pictures exist of occasions when everything did come together.

• RMweb Gold

So have recently been handed some notes by Ian Tipper who was a driver at Bromsgrove

Ian recorded interesting workings that passed - and noted 3 pairs and 2 single Class 27s passing through Bromsgrove in the period between April and November 1968

I have more detail but have promised Ian I will type up the notes and identify as many trains as possible from my WTTs so don't want to "leak" more until that task is done and he decides how he would like his notes released....

Cheers

Phil

I'm sure somewhere online there's a colour shot of D5400 on Saltley next to a 25, both in green livery.

And I saw D5400 through Worcester Nidge...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

SO going back up the thread the link to the D5377/90 photo is bust as Photopic is dead....

But guess what...Ian Tipper recorded those two locos through Bromsgrove !

Is there another link to the photo anywhere perchance?

Cheers

Phil

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Want sure if it was that one or the one Western Glory linked to! (They're not even next to each other in the Flickr set).

And Phil did ask for a new link to the pic (albeit 7 yrs ago).......:D

Edited by keefer
  • Funny 2

18 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

In both cases, the locos look like super-weathered and newly re-numbered models!! Some good inspiration for railway modelling. 

You’ll have to excuse my enthusiasm over these photos - but this is exactly how freight locos on the Midland Lines of LMR appeared in the mid 60s in terms of ‘weathering’. Looking closer there is much attention to detail - the electrification warning flashes have been cleaned, all the windows (including engine room), other key safety items, but not the headcode panels - which are virtually illegible. Clearly not considered important by 1968. I recall seeing D4 in exactly this state around 1967 so presumably was given the same cleaning routine, but by Toton, in that instance. It makes one wonder whether this was a general feature of ML shed attention for freight locos at that time, presumably as part of one of the scheduled exams? I suppose it makes a change from the WR paint stripping of hydraulics via washing plants, though only from Type 2s upwards (many of the D63xx seem to have suffered from this - expected for the OOC ECS locos but seems to have extended to many of those in the south west also)!! 

Edited by MidlandRed

23 hours ago, keefer said:

Want sure if it was that one or the one Western Glory linked to! (They're not even next to each other in the Flickr set).

And Phil did ask for a new link to the pic (albeit 7 yrs ago).......:D

Just found the second and correct pic but keefer has beaten me to it. Apart from warning flashes only clean bits are where the numbers are otherwise they'd be unidentifiable!

Edited by Western Glory