Bradford Model Railway Shops

narrowman

I'm visiting Bradford on Monday 1st November, what shops are still open? I'm aware Frizinghall has a new location, but are there any others worth visiting?

Also are there any cheap car parks that are likely to have spaces after lunch on a Monday afternoon? I'm used to £1 for 3 hours in Llangollen, but Chester seems to be in the £4/5 region, which is probably why I go on a Sunday!!! I prefer to spend my money on models rather than parking fees (or coffee)!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

There's probably no Modelzone as they tend to locate themselves in busy shopping areas. The words 'shopping centre' and 'Bradford' haven't gone together since the council had the centre of the city demolished around 5 years ago and left as a heritage depiction of what a major city looked like after repeated visits from the Luftwaffe. There are few large shops left in Bradford, the remaining shops seem to be closing at an alarming rate.

Go to Frizinghall Model Railways, excellent friendly shop with lots crammed inside, free parking outside.

Martin (a customer of FMR for over 30 years)

Thanks for your replies! After all that, my wife looked at the Google Earth pictures of what was left of the centre of Bradford and decided she'd rather keep her memories! This, combined with the sun shining on the Yorkshire Dales as we headed for Skipton resulted in us staying for a lot longer in Skipton, then spending the rest of the day in Settle (mainly at the station).

Tony

I too come from the area and went through recently having moved away 11 years ago. Although I missed the 'bomb damage' what surprised me most was following the A650 turning right at Nab Wood and what seemed like 5 seconds later passing the five rise locks having missed Cottingley and Bingley completely. blink.gif

• RMweb Premium

Yes the Bingley bypass has cut half an our off my journey up that way to the Settle area. It's also go some good views of the railway. I once tried to pace a Freightliner coal empty and it lost me at Gargrave but then got stopped at Settle Junction.

Jamie

Archived