Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

Bending plasticard

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

What would be the recommended method for bending 20 thou (0.6mm) plastic card? I need to pre-form some embossed Slaters Plasticard to a half circle to a diameter of 40mm. Obviously pre-heating is needed around a former but which is the best way of doing it? Hot water, oven, hot air gun etc..

many thanks

John

To make loco boilers, I used to roll 10thou plastikard around a peice of wooden dowelling that was about 1/8th" less in diameter than the finished product. While rolling, Mekpak was brushed on so that one ended up with a good solid tube when dry. It could be cut to clear the loco motor and yet retain its shape.

I've had success with wrapping the plastic around the former with loads of elastic bands (the wide ones) and dipping in hot water for 5 minutes. I then ran it under a cold tap to 'set' it whilst it was warm. It held it's shape, mostly.

Paul

What would be the recommended method for bending 20 thou (0.6mm) plastic card?

I have done this most recently in order to produce an infill for the bottom cut-out of an RTR loco boiler.

Plasticard wound round a former (copper water pipe) somewhat smaller in diameter than required, bound in place with masking tape, and immersed for a few minutes in boiling water, followed by cold water.

If you mark out the developed shape on the flat card before treatment, cutting to size afterwards is *much* easier!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I 'borrow' my wife's hot air gun that she uses for setting inks on card making - use a wooden dowel or block as a former and off you go. The process can be speeded up by cooling the plasticard with a dampened cloth as you bend section by section.

Something like this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOVECRAFT-DUAL-SPEED-HEAT-TOOL-GUN-EMBOSSING-SHRINKING-/230542635999?pt=UK_Papercraft_Tools_Accessories_2#ht_828wt_936

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

John - Evergreen do a 1/2" white plastic tube - I've got some if you'd like to have a look at it. Not normally available from Dave's, but he orders it in specially for me. I used some for the false underneath of the boiler on the pannier I did a few months ago, for example.

Hot water John, but I try to arrange things so that the plasticard is inside a jar/tin/piece of tube saves loads of faffing with elastic bands, bandages and the like. There's usually some spring back so I try to find something a bit smaller than the finished radius.

Archived