Bachmann 105 - dead short?

Jon Gwinnett

Guest Max Stafford

Try pulling out the decoder plug from the socket very slightly. It's not unknown for the prongs to come into contact with an inadequately insulated area of the chassis block beneath.

Dave.

Realised I didn't thank Max in the previous post - apologies.

Have given up and decided I'll take it back and swap it tomorrow if the shop has any left.

I was feeling really pleased at having got the body off without any damage too.

Tried taking off the cast weight to see if I could see any shorts. Big mistake - the cardan shaft slipped out of the motor which is fixed to the weight, not the chassis and lifts off as you lift the weight off.

However its all back together, no evidence of any shorts inside and runs again on Dc . Have reassembled and will sleep on it.

Daft question, have you got a decoder in both cars ? or just the power car ? If you have got decoders in both cars, have you tried putting one car at a time on the track to see which car is causing the problem, and have you tried something else on the track you are using to check the problem is not on the track.

Best regards

Craig.

OK Jon, the problem has been solved and appears to be a one off. D&F (specifically Dave)have found a mis-soldered joint on the underside of the eight pin DCC socket which connected two pins together, these had no effect on DC operation but resulted in voltage being applied from pickups to the "wrong end" of the chip! Once this had been tidied up unit ran perfectly with chip. Unfortunately the first chip was fried! I would hope and be reasonably sure that the replacwments will be ok, both unit and chip. Took some time but we got there!

Yet another challenge sorted!!!!

OK Jon, the problem has been solved and appears to be a one off. D&F (specifically Dave)have found a mis-soldered joint on the underside of the eight pin DCC socket which connected two pins together, these had no effect on DC operation but resulted in voltage being applied from pickups to the "wrong end" of the chip! Once this had been tidied up unit ran perfectly with chip. Unfortunately the first chip was fried! I would hope and be reasonably sure that the replacwments will be ok, both unit and chip. Took some time but we got there!

Yet another challenge sorted!!!!

D&F were excellent as always - first class customer service gents. I will try the new one in the next few minutes and report back. Glad you found a fault TBH - was worried it was me!

Dare I ask how long you and Dave spent looking at it? I'll bin the other chip I tried -likely it fried that as well. The two replacements today will sort that.

At the risk of sounding sycophantic, this is the joy of dealing with a proper model shop!

Cheers chaps.

Archived