Medium sized WR station - likely track plan features?

Dogsurfer

I'm looking for some pointers or suggestions about a suitable trackplan for a medium sized WR station.

It will have two through roads, two terminating roads (no island platforms) and an additional bay so a total of five platforms.

I'm struggling to find a suitable track plan reference for the station throat and I dont mind using double slips or three ways, but would prefer pointwork that would have been prototypical for the 1940s or 50s GWR/WR. Quirky is potentially good too.

If I can work out how to upload, will attach my starter for ten rough diagram!!

Any ideas gratefully received !!!

:rolleyes:

Andrew

post-10054-8455_thumb.png

Can I suggest that you go here - http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php - and look at the signal box diagrams for your chosen company. Then you'll have control over what you call medium sized. Any complexity appears to be catered for :) Not many, but they're online.

If you can get hold of any of the four volumes of "An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations" you'll also find what you need. Unfortunately they're all out of print.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

If you can get hold of any of the four volumes of "An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations" you'll also find what you need. Unfortunately they're all out of print.

I second that, you may be able to order through your local library service.

Also, have a look through Warwickshire Railways website, they have some useful trackplans as well as photo's and information B)

Regards, Gerry.

I'm looking for some pointers or suggestions about a suitable trackplan for a medium sized WR station.

It will have two through roads, two terminating roads (no island platforms) and an additional bay so a total of five platforms.

I'm struggling to find a suitable track plan reference for the station throat and I dont mind using double slips or three ways, but would prefer pointwork that would have been prototypical for the 1940s or 50s GWR/WR. Quirky is potentially good too.

If I can work out how to upload, will attach my starter for ten rough diagram!!

Any ideas gratefully received !!!

:rolleyes:

Andrew

A quick gander at Vol 2 of 'Selected Great Western Stations' throws up a couple which might be of interest, though they don't conform exactly to your request:-

Gobowen- Up Bay; Down Bay with run-round for Oswestry branch trains, facing southwards.

Torquay:- two platforms/bays on Up side, one bay/loading dock on Down side (shown as having a wagon turntable!)

In many cases, if there was a third platform face, it would be served by a loop.

There is an example which might conform to your request, but which I don't have a plan for- Weston-Super-Mare. This had a pair of through platforms, served by trains from Bristol to Taunton, and a number of terminal platforms on the Up side, which dealt with the considerable seasonal traffic. These were treated as a seperate station for operational purposes, I believe, and had carriage sidings and loco stabling facilities.

Hi Brian

Weston-S-M sounds like a really good possibility - many thanks - will investigate!!!

Kind regards

Andrew

There's a fascinating series of books of track layouts by R.A. Cooke (now published by Lightmoor Press, 120 Farmer's Close, Witney, OX28 1NR). Each covers a relatively small area in detail, with separate drawings to show the layout after each major change. Release of new or revised versions tends to be a bit sporadic, unfortunately, but it would be worth contacting the publisher to see what's currently available or imminent. Recent releases have included Cardiff, Neath and Bristol.

• RMweb Gold

There's a fascinating series of books of track layouts by R.A. Cooke (now published by Lightmoor Press, 120 Farmer's Close, Witney, OX28 1NR). Each covers a relatively small area in detail, with separate drawings to show the layout after each major change. Release of new or revised versions tends to be a bit sporadic, unfortunately, but it would be worth contacting the publisher to see what's currently available or imminent. Recent releases have included Cardiff, Neath and Bristol.

This (below) is the current source although you will find that a number of stockists of railway books carry small stocks, but Lightmoor (an excellent publisher in my experience of their output) do carry some stocks. Alas many of Tony's track layout books are out of print and reprinting is likely to be some way off as I understand he is working on a massive task (and book to come) on the subject of private sidings. But over the years he has put an enormous amount of effort into the layout diagrams aiming to ensure both comprehensiveness and accuracy - always worth looking for new editions as they are likely to incorporate new information but secondhand copies do appear quite frequently and are the only way of getting hold of the out-of-print volumes.

http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/track_layouts.htm

Archived