Comet GW K40 Brake

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by other coach projects posted recently on here I thought I'd show my modest offering.Whilst reading an old BRM [July 2010] I came across an article by Derek Shore.He was building a Stanier D1912 kitchen car using Comet sides overlaid onto a Bachmann 50' full brake.That sowed some seeds.

Rummaging through my old bits I came across my old Airfix B set and checking the Comet site this was suitable for any 60' bowended vehicle to be overlaid.So here is my proress so far after stripping it down and cutting the rectangle to clear the new sides.I now need to prepare the sides with hinges and droplights.The old roof vents were snipped off and the new positions marked from the Comet roof plan.I'm also using the Comet underframe and bogies with this as I thought it would turn out better from scratch.

post-126-085396500 1290341665_thumb.jpg

post-126-071465500 1290341681_thumb.jpg

post-126-074141500 1290341697_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Inspired by other coach projects posted recently on here I thought I'd show my modest offering.Whilst reading an old BRM [July 2010] I came across an article by Derek Shore.He was building a Stanier D1912 kitchen car using Comet sides overlaid onto a Bachmann 50' full brake.That sowed some seeds.

Rummaging through my old bits I came across my old Airfix B set and checking the Comet site this was suitable for any 60' bowended vehicle to be overlaid.So here is my proress so far after stripping it down and cutting the rectangle to clear the new sides.I now need to prepare the sides with hinges and droplights.The old roof vents were snipped off and the new positions marked from the Comet roof plan.I'm also using the Comet underframe and bogies with this as I thought it would turn out better from scratch.

The virus is spreading:P

36E

• RMweb Gold

Well I've now fitted the droplights and started the underframe where I've got a problem.I'm using the B set ends and they are bowed.Any suggestions how I can fit the square end of the underframe to these using plastic angle.

Good work on this. I find these maximum width coaches a pain because of the need to fiddle around with backing pieces and funny commode handles - but they were a characteristic type. This diagram was often in unlined brown too, so an easier paint job than many.

Have you thought of using parts of the old Airfix underframe glued to the ends to give you something to which you can screw the Comet underframe? You could mount 10BA nut on this and fit machine screws pointing upwards through the Comet end slot.

Keep us posted,

cheers,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've now fitted the droplights and started the underframe where I've got a problem.I'm using the B set ends and they are bowed.Any suggestions how I can fit the square end of the underframe to these using plastic angle.

I used the airfix underframes on my coach conversions of these coaches and did a bit of hacking to remove the moulded on detail and curved bufferframe, there are some photos on the old rmweb, this is the link http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49301.

I've not used the comet underframes yet, although I've recently bought a comet kit for the 70ft corridor third and so will be giving it a try at some point in the future.

Without actually having built one I probably can't help, but I think i would be inclined to sand the insides of the coach to fit the underframe. Let us know how you get on.

I've got one of these that I started myself using the brake ends of two coaches, having used the passenger ends to make some suburban stock, hiding the join in the roof is going to be my problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Rovex

• RMweb Gold

I used the airfix underframes on my coach conversions of these coaches and did a bit of hacking to remove the moulded on detail and curved bufferframe, there are some photos on the old rmweb, this is the link http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49301.

I've not used the comet underframes yet, although I've recently bought a comet kit for the 70ft corridor third and so will be giving it a try at some point in the future.

Without actually having built one I probably can't help, but I think i would be inclined to sand the insides of the coach to fit the underframe. Let us know how you get on.

I've got one of these that I started myself using the brake ends of two coaches, having used the passenger ends to make some suburban stock, hiding the join in the roof is going to be my problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Rovex

I've recently completed this coach bar its painting.Photos to follow soon.In the end I used a Heath Robinson approach with 6mm plastic angle glued in place after drilling and fitting a 2mm nut for the bolt connection.Very basic,lets see if it lasts in service.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress on this has been slow due to my other build but here it is nearly ready for the paintshop.I need to add some tiebars to the bogies as the whitemetal ones were very misshapened and useless.

post-126-0-69243500-1296314338_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-33165000-1296314421_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Progress on this has been slow due to my other build but here it is nearly ready for the paintshop.I need to add some tiebars to the bogies as the whitemetal ones were very misshapened and useless.

Nice one Rob; I like that. That Coachman has loads to answer for has he not.

I've not yet dared to take a knife to any stock and do this type of conversion, however I feel this strange urge (it's my age) to dig out some old Hornby plastic lumps and get hacking. Oh er misses!:D

36E

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought I'd do an update on this thread after I changed my mind on its livery.It was a choice of three ! GWR choc/cream or all over brown but I plumped for BR post 57 maroon in a last minute change of plan.I'm making a rake of parcels up using a Bachmann GUV,BG and the new Hornby Hawksworth brake so I'm adding this K40 to the rake too.It might be stretching it to add another Hawksworth in choc/cream [1949].

Following the Halfords thread I chose Hycote Double Acrylic spray in Ford burgendy.Its come out on the glossier side but I'm yet to satin varnish it so it may be ok.If not a dose of weathering will tone it down.Lining will probably be pressfix.I've never done a BR coach before. ;)

I have another B set so I might yet get the brown livery I first wanted......... :yahoo:

post-126-0-46822900-1310292296_thumb.jpg

I plumped for BR post 57 maroon in a last minute change of plan.

Are you going all 'Modern Image' on us Rob? May I be the first to welcome you to the cultured world of BR(W) modelling! ;)

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Are you going all 'Modern Image' on us Rob? May I be the first to welcome you to the cultured world of BR(W) modelling! ;)

Regards,

Andy.

:laugh: Hardly.Its just your period is easier to model with all the decent rtr goodies like Bachmann BGs etc. ;) Everything I want for my GWR period is kitbuilt which will take time but I'll get there one day.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought I'd give a bump for this thread as I have some photos of mine to shew shortly.I've recently been made aware,although too late in my case here of a new transfer sheet in 4mm from Railtec Models.Sheet 4206 covers the K40/41/42 diagrams.

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?type=5&gauge=4mm&xfer_region=1#4206

Photos to come.Incidently it looks nothing like post 11 now.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know of an etch for the horizontal bars that went over some of the windows on these vehicles.Blacksmith did the grid type for the luggage windows.I suppose I could try and print them onto clear plastiglaze but they might smudge.

Hi Rob,

Blacksmith do all of the various incarnations of luggage grilles as I have a small stash of them for the Little Didcot fleet. There were stacks of them on their stand at Scaleforum this year too.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Does anyone know of an etch for the horizontal bars that went over some of the windows on these vehicles.Blacksmith did the grid type for the luggage windows.I suppose I could try and print them onto clear plastiglaze but they might smudge.

I just draw them on with a permanent ink fine nib CD pen.

post-9992-0-65500300-1388080431_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I really want a k40, but I've never done anything like this before. What I can't work out from your progress pictures, how do the new sides join into the old b set ends?

And where did all the bits for end end come from?

I'm happy to chop the middle out!

Also, what glue did you use to attach the brass to the plastic?

• RMweb Gold

The sides glue to the old b set body using Evostik.The join with the ends is good but will benfit with a file over especially as you will need to fix some gangways to the ends.These are available from Andrew at Wizard Models.Don't forget to drill out the holes in the sides for grab rails and hinges too.

Archived