Comet GW K40 Brake

gwrrob

Should I have ordered some door handles?

Should I have ordered some door handles?

Depends on what you want to do.

Door handles, end castings, roof castings, under frame details, improvements to the bogies, lampirons and probably end grabrails.

This is why you will see some on here commenting that it is probably as easier or easier to build a kit. My experiences are that is greatly satisfying to turn an Airfix B-Set into something.

Oakhill

P

Forgive my ignorance, can the air fix b set coach be used for any 60' bow end vehicle? How do you attach the brass comet parts to the plastic underframe?

Superglue for underframe fittings and contact adhesive for brass sides onto the plastic body shell.

Forgive my ignorance, can the air fix b set coach be used for any 60' bow end vehicle? How do you attach the brass comet parts to the plastic underframe?

The Airfix coach can be used for any 60ft bow enders of the circa 1930 period. However the wheelbase is wrong for most. The corridor vehicles had 9ft bogies so the pivots where 1ft further inboard. The non corridor vehicles had a variety of bogie centres and the Airfix coach is about 1 or 2 mm too long for most (including the E140 as far as I can tell). However it is perfect for the K40.

For a rundown of the rest;

Roof ribs and vents need to be changed although who will know 80+ years on.

Battery box positions as above

End windows for D109

train alarm gear

Bogie steps

Guards steps on the solebars

Truss rods should be further in and there should be 4 of them

Layout of vacuum cylinders varies

Grabrails on the ends

Lampiron types

Solebar footboards

Short buffers on the close coupled versions

Square off the headstocks

7ft bogies nothing like as good as the 9ft ones Airfix produced 2 years later.

Water fillers if you need them

Grabrails to the roof and the steps

Corridor connections

Uncle Tom cobbly and all.

Most of the above are easy to solve and if I could post photos on an ipad I would prove this.

Oakhill

I started my own build thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116180-comet-k40-brake-airfix-b-set-conversion/

But I noticed in this thread that Oakhill stated the Airfix coach is 2mm ok for the K40. But it's actually about 2mm to short for the K40 side! 

Comet sides are over length by design to allow any variations in donor coach used.

Mark out exact length required and trim with tinsnips, piercing saw, sharp kitchen scissors (yes they work too). Cut away Airfix sides where new window positions go, re-arrange roof vents, Put end steps/handrails in position. Sort footboards to correct position. Add lower footstep if required.  I paint sides before fixing in position. To hide top of the sides I widen the gutter using 10x20 microstrip. Detail underframe as required. Straight forward conversion.

post-9992-0-61527900-1477394319_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

I started my own build thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116180-comet-k40-brake-airfix-b-set-conversion/

But I noticed in this thread that Oakhill stated the Airfix coach is 2mm ok for the K40. But it's actually about 2mm to short for the K40 side!

Sorry to clarify: the Bogie centres are 1 to 2mm too long for most 60 ft non corridor coaches. But spot on for the k40.

Mike Coach Bogie, do you sand a bit off the sides of the donor vehicle to avoid the finished article being too tubby?

Chris

Yes. Using coarse sand paper, I rub off all the detail, thin the sides, and it leaves a good base for the adhesive. Here is a Hornby D 95 prepared for BSL D94 sides.

post-9992-0-77306200-1477422863_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Archived