Dapol 121

Linners

I read DapolDave's confirmation of future new releases, and he also mentioned that there was a 121 on the exhibition stand. Did anyone attending Warley notice this? I have searched back through topics but can't seem to find anything specific relating to this model.

I was just curious if anyone had photographed it, and would be prepared to post the photo, or even chatted to the Dapol team about it's development and possible arrival date?

Regards,

Linners

Thanks Craig.

I notice that Kernow are stating that the due date is 2011 for their model. I had been keeping my fingers crossed for 2010 release, but obviously these things take time. Having seen the photo's of Bachfar's 101 EP, I just wondered how far Dapol had got with the 121.

Regards,

Linners

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Here's a link to the existing topic on page 2 of this Dapol section, and for convenience the link to Dapol's old website posting although I don't see it included in the more recent 2010/2011 releases list.

Sadly, I was unable to find the time to visit the trade stands as my priority had to be with the layouts B)

Regards, Gerry.

Additional: I also note DapolDave's post here regarding a 121 on the stand. HTH

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete.

I tried to get some photos but it was tucked away at the back of the case and the poor iphone just couldn't cope with glass & darkness! However, it looked very much to be a hand built sample and not really wholly representative of the finished product so it would be unfair to base any judgement on this.

The same applied to the Class 142 sample next to it.

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tom - Fair comment...I note the HST still has a mixed reception due to the cab window issues so best to wait until Dapol are ready to be more forthcoming with it...at least all our savings will get another few months of interest as if the HST, 121 Bubble, 26 and Bachfar 101 all arrive at the same time... :blink:

• RMweb Premium

several people consider that current Hornby 121 to be a lil expensive and ripe for an up-date.

And you think that an up to date high quality model will be cheaper than the Hornby one? :blink:

We suddenly seem to have changed from the Dapol N gauge Class 121 Bubble Car to discussion of the Hornby 00 Class 101 - it's Farish with the Class 101 in N Gauge, chaps!

A (reasonably) heavy chassis on a single Railcar will probably give a good ride and better performance on slightly dodgy track than a potentially-bouncy lightweight one, although I agree it won't need great traction performance to pull a trailer or a couple of vans!

Richard

We suddenly seem to have changed from the Dapol N gauge Class 121 Bubble Car to discussion of the Hornby 00 Class 101 - it's Farish with the Class 101 in N Gauge, chaps!

A (reasonably) heavy chassis on a single Railcar will probably give a good ride and better performance on slightly dodgy track than a potentially-bouncy lightweight one, although I agree it won't need great traction performance to pull a trailer or a couple of vans!

Richard

There are probably reasons relating to relative weight that mean a heavy chassis is more of a "must" in N than perhaps in 00 even for a single car unit. It is impressive that from what I saw of the engineering prototype of the 121 (I assume that was what was on show at Warley) that there is no intrusion of the mechanism above the window level and there will be a representation of the interior. All looks very promising - I'm looking forward to this one.

Roy

And you think that an up to date high quality model will be cheaper than the Hornby one? :blink:

Never said that, but the Hornby one could then move to the railroad range...

Snip...We suddenly seem to have changed from the Dapol N gauge Class 121 Bubble Car to discussion of the Hornby 00 Class 101 - it's Farish with the Class 101 in N Gauge, chaps!...snip

Richard

Yeah not sure how, since I was still talking about the 121! Will be interesting to see what liveries will be offered

• 2 months later...

Well it looks like the wife and child will have to go without shoes this month as I divert the funds to Dapol. Why do they have to make so make nice things?

Seriously can anyone help me with a simple query? What period was the all blue livery for DMUs? My layout is going go be about 1980-1986, can I get away with a blue bubble car or do I have to wait for the blue/grey one?

Thanks

Not bad prices on the 121 actually...

Quite pleased that both the NSE versions still exist today (one of which is preserved at my local railway), and that there are still 121s in NSE livery... Perfect excuse to run them on my layout!

I don't think my wallet will be able to take the abuse it's going to recieve soon... HST, 121, Hall... I need my next batch of student loan in stat!

Archived