Dapol 121

Linners

I think an all blue one could be possible, dont forget you also have the all white and blue stripe before blue grey came standard with a time more than likley all would be in use...

Ian

Seriously can anyone help me with a simple query? What period was the all blue livery for DMUs? My layout is going go be about 1980-1986, can I get away with a blue bubble car or do I have to wait for the blue/grey one?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I think an all blue one could be possible, dont forget you also have the all white and blue stripe before blue grey came standard with a time more than likley all would be in use...

Ian

Agreed - I would have preferred to have a blue/grey one too Tom, which I prefer to the all blue one (strange that I like that livery for diesels but not dmu's :blink:) but I think the all blue was still around in 79 and possibly early 80's, so I will play along with Dapol's game and start with the all blue one and get a blue/grey one too should that arrive in the next livery batches ;)

• 1 month later...

121s were almost exclusively WR, used mainly on West London, Severn, Cornish and Welsh valleys branch lines. Very occasionally to Crewe attached to a cross country DMU. They got around a bit as route learners later.

There were ex-ScR class 122 bubble cars based at Longsight in the 80s and they may have got to Preston.

Cheers

David

Is it at all possible to create a Class 122 from a 121? What are the physical differences between the two?

Tom.

Evening Tom, Quite a few differences - the most obvious difference is the 122s have small roof mounted destination boxes - whereas the 121 has a large headcode box - the exhaust stacks that run up the cabfront are a different shape as a result of this - although on 122s the shape of these varied slightly between individual units. Roof vents are different too - the 121 has ridged dome vents, 122s have 'shell' vents. For smaller details the 121 has small grab handles below the cab windscreens , and steps mounted below the bufferbeams - 122s have neither of these . There is no 'cut out' in the bodywork below the guards door on a class 122, which there is on a 121 - the handrails either side of the guards door also vary between the two units - 121s have a long single handrail either side of the door , 122s have two short handrails. I believe there is also some differences in the underframe equipment - particularly the route of the exhaust pipes around the engines - plus some very small detail differences around the engines themselves - Dapol Dave has expressed ts possible for the 121 tooling to evolve into a 122 - the Regional railways 122s being a favorite B)

TFN

Jon

PS - I'm not sure if this applies to all members of the two classes as a whole - I may be wrong but 122s dont have any raised window beading on the bodyside windows , which is present on 121s - (but on all of them? , im not sure - wheres ChrisF when we need him :unsure: :) )

PS - I'm not sure if this applies to all members of the two classes as a whole - I may be wrong but 122s dont have any raised window beading on the bodyside windows , which is present on 121s - (but on all of them? , im not sure - wheres ChrisF when we need him :unsure: :) )

Having done some research ion this for a 4mm project, it seems that the aluminium window surrounds were present on Class 121s and the final batch only of Class 115 4-car DMUs. There was some talk this is down to being built by Pressed Steel, but as the Class 115s were biult at Derby it seems not. However it seems at least some of the Class 121s were also built without them. People also tell me the 117s had them, biut none of the photos I have seen confirm this.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon.

Thanks for the info,quite a lot of small detail differences by the sound of it but nothing that seems that insurmountable....hmmm :D

Thanks again,

Tom.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dapol have posted some images of their Class 121 painted up in BR green livery on their Facebook pages.

Thanks for that...it does look rather tasty...even in green ;)

Hope the BR Blue one follows soon...if they launch it along with the class 26, my plastic is going to be smokin' :devil:

Archived