Andy Siddalls Easy-Build Workbench

• RMweb Premium

If its just a case of keeping the end of the axle away from the bearing face then I guess a small ball bearing inside the tophat bearing would do the trick and provide a bearing surface for the end of the axle.....of course hindsight didn't come in the kit :D

And I was so careful to follow the instructions about using a piece of card to give clearance etc etc...... :(

• RMweb Premium

As for the axles, this morning when I was taking the pictures I notices a small black dot right in the centre of the top hat bearing in the axle box of one axle on the motor bogie. Closer inspection reveled it to be the tip of the axle which had worn through the top hat bearing and its only run an hour at the most.

I've not even centred the axles yet as per the instructions which ask you to push the bearing in until the touch the pin point ends of the axles. Then fix as per the instructions.

But closer inspection again showed the others about to break through. A pip pointing out towards the outside is a sign of this so the bearings must be very thin to say the least. And no way of replacing them other than break the bogie apart as its glued etc.

Interesting! Unfortunately, I glued the axle box covers on last week so I can't now see on mine and I have ran my motor bogie on the rolling road for nearly 8 hours. There is some play but there was a bit to start with after I centred the axles.

Yes, hindsight :rolleyes:

But as mine has had next to no running and the bearings have not been pushed up against the axle ends is a tad annoying.

Not quite sure at the moment what to do about this having no access to the inside of the bearing without either drilling into the bearing for the axle box side and adding a bearing that way or ball as you suggest with some form of retaining cap or break the bogie apart and prey it is not damaged too much. I'm lucky I haven't put the axle box covers on and the inserts to stop the top hat bearings moving about in the axle box.

But its all next weekend now as its all 150 miles west of me.

Hi All,

Firstly, David, thanks for the complements on the previous page, however that is not my 108, that one belongs to TTG you ar eright however in that it is coming along very nicely and looking very good!

TTG, for the Headlight lenses on mine, I have drilled the headlight casing sto 3mm which I know is a little undersize but not however too noticeable. I then use a 3mm LED and make find that when pushed all the way home it protrudes through the front by a few mm. Now all that is needed is to file the top down until it is flush and frost with a little wet and dry paper.

As for the bogies I don't know, I have run mine on the rolling road for a few hours now and have seen no problems. If starting again I suppose that you could build the bogie with sideframes that bolted on. The only thoughts for repair are, if you can remove the axle covers from over the hole you may be able to get in from the outside.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

As I said, I've already drill out to 4mm and fitted 3mm warm white/red LED's and with the silver tape liner to the hole acting as a reflector. All I need is a lens now. I had thought about dripping slowly int the whole some clear resin and then file flat but unsure if it would react with the material that makes up the cab.

But I'm off to a few model shops this week hopefully to get some filler to do the massive gap between the roof and rear wall. Terrible really about this and cannot understand why its there on such an expensive kit. Yes I know about them using parts from other kits to make the 108 but really if you pay for a 108 kit you expect all the parts go together and not have to start fixing their faults because they cannot be bothered to.

But its fun and after this, who knows. I'll be up to one a day soon like Brian D B)

But I'm off to a few model shops this week hopefully to get some filler to do the massive gap between the roof and rear wall. Terrible really about this and cannot understand why its there on such an expensive kit. Yes I know about them using parts from other kits to make the 108 but really if you pay for a 108 kit you expect all the parts go together and not have to start fixing their faults because they cannot be bothered to.

The cab partition in my DPU was a dreadful fit as well and that is supposed to be specific to that particular kit. I wonder if the profile of the roof has been altered slightly (or drastically) at some point and the interior partion etches haven't been changed?

Etched Window Frames.

Decided to have a go on the one car I have built and whilst they are nice and easy to fit, I don't seem to have enough in the whole kit. Two cars that is.

Andy, did you get etched windows with yours?

I seem to have too many toilet windows and not enough small windows. Things is as well, not all the 'holes' where the windows are on the frets were full, as if some have been taken out before packing. By my reckoning, there should be two more small windows.

I have four toilet windows and as far as I know, I only need two. Any one knowing different please let me know.

Hi Andy,

Been in touch with Easy Build this morning and replacement parts will be on their way shortly. Shawn is away for a week but its been sorted out.

Also got around to talking about the bearing problem and new side frames and bearings are being sent as I will have to remove the side frames from the stretcher. They are very interested in our problems as they they think they have been over drilled, hence why mine have broken through the end section so quickly, about thirty minutes of running in total.

If anyone has a similar problem with gear box, bogie, bearing problems, they want to know as they see this as important and want to sort it out.

Had a general chit chat as well about the kits so it was worth calling for that if nothing else. It seems they hope to invest in a laser cutter so we wont have to do the cab windows as these will be done for us in newer versions of the kit.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the info TTG,

I have run my bogie for about another hour but can still see no problems, however I have had this kit 'maturing' for about 12 months so maybe the issue is with a later batch.

As the 06 is nearing completion I will now be pushing myself to finish the 108 before I start anything else.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Looking forward to seeing yours on here as well. The etched frames are nice and easy to put in. Just make sure they are fully flat at the top when you fit them initially as per the instructions.

I hind sight now, I wish I had fitted them before putting the body together. I will change my build order on the second car.

Andy Jack

SWMBO has informed me that a package with 'bits' in has arrived from Richard at Easy Build. Not quite sure that the 'bits' are but I think they could be the replacement side frames, bearings and the missing window etches.

It will be Friday before I find out what is actually in there.

Nice service and package sent registered mail. :D

Replacement side frames, bearings and the window etches which were missing from the kit received from Easy Build. Quite when I get around to changing the side frames and bearings, not sure. But I should do it before going much further.

Talking of going further, here is the latest efforts. Managed the etched window frames and got to grips in doing them. Will definitely do them before putting the body together on the next car.

All the bits just about added to the underframe and what a weight it is. No wonder there is a centre fixing screw from the roof to floor. The floor hangs off the roof with all the weight and the centre screw stops it from sagging. But the effect is not bad. The quality of the castings is ok, but not exactly sharp edges and detail is a bit fuzzy. But once painted it will hide some of the blemishes etc.

Got to do the insides now and some painting of the inside as well as internal lighting which will be warm white LED's with a flicker free unit from DCC Concepts. Cab lighting and detail to add as well.

I hope to run it on March 9th though at a get together in Bristol.

But things will slow now me thinks as a new house on wheel is being delivered tomorrow and it will take over from all this O stuff over the next few weeks followed by three weeks touring France. And in between I may well do the odd day in work but I wont worry too much if that does not happen.

Have fun TTG

post-6682-0-02061600-1298893129_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

TTG, Thats looking really rather nice....I have been so tardy lately and not been out to the shed for 2 weeks :( I am pretty sure its still all there :D

I must say it starts to look really nice as it comes togother near the end, makes you get a move on I think.

Have a great tour, just don't get in front of me! :lol:

• RMweb Premium

:) Its funny, that brings back memories of one of the last times we toured with my Jag and a camping trailer, being in the biz as it were the trailer was modifed with dampers and pukka car tyres and towed like a dream, I was pootling down through Picardie on the A1 towards Paris when a french 3 series beemer with 3 kids in it drew alongside and made some quite rude gestures to my daughter in the back of our car, so I planted it and left them for dead :lol: they did make a bit of an effort but even a clapped out 3 series was no match for 4 litres of Coventrys' finest ;) I decided to ease off when I noticed I was consuming the Km at over 200 a hour :D

How I loved those autoroutes ;)

At four and a half tons, I'll make way for you :)

Right, it's time to get this thread back on track and I am going to make a serious effort over the next few weeks to get the 108 finished.

Ideally I would like to see it completed by the end of March, work and weather allowing. If the weather is good I have far too much work to do on the 5" gauge rather than sitting indoors building O! :rolleyes:

I started today by taking a look at all that I had started and discovered that the build was quite healthy. I have got the sides painted and ready to be added to the ends, they will require hinges and handles but I find it easier to paint these on the fret and add them later.

The inner ends are also done and painted, so todays first job was to fix the small destination box to the cab roof, cut the windows and make a start on painting them yellow.

I intend to have the sides and ends painted before constructing the bodies and adding the roof. As the unit is Blue and Grey then this is easier to mask in the flat and mask later for the painting of the roof.

I have also drilled the holes in the roofs for vents and the loo filler, and addes the bogie mounts to the floors. As the bogies were built a few pages ago then I am just watching paint dry until I can continue with construction.

Just to wet your appetite here is a quick pic of the sides...

post-7502-0-53740600-1298994255_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Hi David,

Decisions Eh?

I was going to paint it plain Blue but then changed my mind as I also would like to have the 105 which I shall paint in plain blue.

Blue and Grey is quite a lot more work though. The hardest part being the white lining!

As a quick update the cab fronts are now yellow and drying nicely.

Sadly (?) I have been asked to go to Cardington in Bedfordshire tomorrow to see about some work later in the year so I don't think much more will happen until next week as I also at work Thursday and Friday.

Cheers

Andy

I had thought about painting etc before building the body and adding the roof but having put it together, I'm pleased i had not bothered as it did need some blending between the major items, sides, roof, cab end and read end.

This now will be hidden under the paintwork of course.

Looks nice Andy. Great 108 get together looms me thinks. :D

Archived