Andy Siddalls Easy-Build Workbench

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Not sure if you've found this but worth a look http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/741/entry-5984-easy-build-108/

Nice to see progress here but I don't think you'd get away with pre painting a Cravens - it needs too much filling one assembled. Work is getting in the way of my Cravens at the moment and an imminent unexpected three month weekly commute to the East Midlands will put pay to further progress in the near term.

Hi Gents,

Tim, I had seen that blog the other day, I have downloaded but not yet read it. The Cravens would be easier to paint complete as I would do it in all over blue so no nasty masking and lining to be done.

I am surprised that there is a lot of filling to be done, I only needed a small amount on the 129 and have built many Mk1's without the need for the filler, you do have me slightly concerned that it will be needed on the 108 but a quick dry run with the sides and ends seemed to go well last night.

I am now just waiting for enough time to put the marker lights into the cab fronts and then I can at least get 2 bodies with roofs on.

Cardington was interesting, I went purely for a meeting with the possible prospect of working there later this year, I will admit that I was completely blown away by the size and engineering of the sheds.

Didn't hear any explosions though!

Who blows what up anyway?

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Got a week off so thought I would do something productive and as I am banned from ironing because it dumps rusty water on the clothes when I do it, I thought I would do some more 108 stuff.

Got to see what I have managed so far run last Wednesday evening around the test track in Bristol. It went well and sounded a lot less noisy than at home. I have since then got a Loksound V4 108 sound decoder and speaker to play with and have just about decided how and where all the bits are going to go.

With the decoder, break out board, speaker, Flicker Free lighting unit, roof lights, cab light, head code lighting, head / tail lights etc there is a lot to get in and the wiring is fast approaching that on a small layout. :O

But hopefully it will be worth the effort. The speaker install will be the biggest challenge as I want to use the Visaton Speaker which gives a good sound reproduction and not the tinny squeaks from smaller speakers. Yes its big and bulky but I think it will live well in the guards van section of the DMU and give an excellent sound. I have tried it without a sound box and it sounds good. With a sound box fitted it should be even better. A quick try with the V4 Class 40 I got at the same time, it is incredible what you can hear now over that on the 3.5. The sound seems to spool faster between sound effects as well so when the loco slows, the sound reacts quicker and is more realistic than on the 3.5. So all in all happy with the V4

Roll on the end of the year for the V4 XL for my Heljan stuff.

Here are some photos taken this morning of the roof light installation after the LED's arrived lightening fast from Bromsgrove Models.

post-6682-0-90496500-1300191167_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-17304200-1300191181_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-30076200-1300191194_thumb.jpg

post-6682-0-95577300-1300191206_thumb.jpg

Also I have decided to not follow the build method as detailed in the instructions and fit the interior directly to the floor and not use false floors. So far so good and will allow me to build the interior on the floor and be able lift the body & roof off as two completely separate units. For me with all the wiring etc in there it will be easier.

• RMweb Premium

Also I have decided to not follow the build method as detailed in the instructions and fit the interior directly to the floor and not use false floors. So far so good and will allow me to build the interior on the floor and be able lift the body & roof off as two completely separate units. For me with all the wiring etc in there it will be easier.

No ironing? :lol:

I decided I am going to build (if I can) the interior as you are proposing, I am sure a way can be found.....and now as your doing it first.... :D

I like the comment about the wiring....hmm.....don't you just love cramming it all in, the quart in the pint pot I mean :lol:

For the wiring that runs the length of the coach, how about using self adhesive copper tape. Then you could run it below the seats with nothing to be seen after painting. I think that you can get it from Eileen's or C&L.

OzzyO.

Thanks for the comments. Awaiting the boss home from work and me sorting out with the ironing. Hopefully the ban will become life time.

There is a lot of room in the roof for front to back wiring as well as the Flicker Free unit and if pushed the decoder.

I have had to re jig the seats in two places as if three seat units are used as shown in the layout diagrams in the instructions, they foul the through floor to roof securing bolts. Will post picture later as I have just about finished putting the seats in and just need to touch up the floor paint.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Well it's been a long time coming but I have finally had some time to get on with a few projects.

The class 108 now has the cabs, sides and ends completed and so should become a whole unit in the next few days, I have made a start on the seats which have been folded and painted in their base blue colour, now begins the slow process of picking out the chromed framework.

post-7502-0-35364900-1460572891.jpg

post-7502-0-25275600-1460573329_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-72427400-1460573233.jpg

post-7502-0-05312300-1460573041_thumb.jpg

post-7502-0-41671000-1460573042_thumb.jpg

Next coach on the workbench will be run of the mill BG with Mk1 bogies.

Cheers

Andy

post-7502-0-07878500-1460573354_thumb.jpg

Thanks Lee and David,

I have been working away quietly on the BG for a few days now, I pretty much have everything ready for the paintshop and then final completion.

These sides are the first that I have prepared using the new style window frames and I must admit that they are a lot easier to use than the old moulded style.

Here is a quick image of the sides and roof before painting, the sides have just been given a nice coat of Blue and are drying ready for masking for the Grey.

post-7502-0-50708800-1514912315_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

The BG looks nice, is it an Easybuild kit?

I'm very interested to see how you spray this too as I'd love to have a go at something similar but I haven't got the first clue of how to mask off the correct areas.  I'm surprised to see you spray blue first.... it just goes to show I have no idea at all as I would have started with the grey :(

It would be nice to see photos as you go if you are able to.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Yes it is an Easybuild as all of my Mk1s will be.

I had previously sprayed the Grey first and then masked for the Blue, this is ok except for the fact that the middle and top hinges do not allow the masking tape to sit very flat as the are very close to the edge and so I got quite a bit of spray under the tape.

Looking at a real coach, 

post-7502-0-13823900-1460649866_thumb.jpg

It is obvious that to paint the Blue first and then mask the top and sides for the Grey is quite straightforward, the issue here comes from the fact that the white lining goes through the door stops. I decided that this may be an easier way to go as I intend to try lining transfers and so they can be cut to fit and should be easier than working with long lengths. 

Here are the sides masked and ready for the Grey.

Cheers

Andy

P.S. the image of the real coach above gives a clue to what will follow the BG onto the workbench! 

A :secret:

post-7502-0-58600300-1514912401_thumb.jpg

Hi Lee,

I have never thought of masking the curved corners.

In the past I have just masked the corner square and then when applying the lining I made sure that the corner was on the outside of the curve so that I could just clean it up with a small brush and a bit of Blue paint.

Cheers

Andy

Have been waiting for paint to dry, so not too much to show this evening.

I have nearly completed the under frame and have just finished attaching the side steps, so maybe the floor will be painted tomorrow ready for final assembly.

Back to the sides, I sprayed the Grey this morning and when I took the masking off at lunchtime I think the outcome is ok. One thought that i did have while looking at the drying model was if I let the grey dry and then added another strip of tape above the door stops, could I just paint in the white stripe with a brush and then complete the rest of the coach with a lining pen?

Any thoughts from the collective brain that is rmweb?

post-7502-0-67887000-1514912475_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Nice work on the BG. With regard to the door stop dilemma, it is not much help for this build but perhaps it would be possible to leave off the door bangs until after the lining is added on future builds.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin,

You are probably right about adding the stops later but I have always shied away from the idea as painting them afterwards may be a tad painful.

I think the problem with the BG is that there are so many stops there is no easy way of lining after they've been added. I may experiment with lining before adding the stops on the coach after the SK as that has far fewer!

For the SK I am going to try lining between with a bow pen to see if this is any easier.

As for progress, the lining arrived from Railtec and so the slow process has begun, images later. I must say that I find using transfers for this much harder than using the bow pen, back to paint for the next one!

Cheers

Andy

I have a new ABC Gears gearbox and bogie for the 108 which I will photograph this coming weekend when I get home. Nice looking unit and will report back on its running capabilities.

Hi Andy,

Did you ever get around to taking a photo of the ABC gearbox for your 108????

Cheers

Lee

Archived