N & OO gauge pantographs

DapolDave

Hi everyone,

at Warley we announced (rather quietly it seems:rolleyes: ) scale N and OO gauge pantographs.

Here is a press release:

With our growing dissatisfaction in N gauge pantographs for UK outline models, Dapol have decided to ‘go it alone’ and produce scale N gauge pantographs of both the Brecknell-Willis and Stone Faiveley types for our future class 86 electric locomotive releases and for other models that we are in the planning stages for.

These pantographs will be available separately and have fine etched steel heads, and are easily fitted by customers to upgrade their existing class 86 models. (Please note they will be available separately via the Dapol website as spares (price TBA.)

Dapol are also pleased to announce that we are to manufacture (in line with our expanding OO catenary range) the same 2 types of Pantograph in OO gauge.

However as indicative with the increase in scale we will be adding further details to the models, and hope to have only minor compatibility issues that the modeller should easily be able to change.

Details of our expanding range of OO gauge catenary will be in our 2011 catalogue which will also include our newly announced ‘H’ section 2-4 track gantry kit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-1144-065164300 1292319656_thumb.jpg

As you can see this is the 2 pictures of the completed cad/cam (unless we have missed off something glaring) and i'd appreciate comments regarding them.

Also do any of you have any thoughts on the OO versions (features, details required etc)

Please donrt mail me directly as we are undergoing a server and computer systems change, but please (with the moderators permission of course) feel free to post here for both gauges.

As always cheers (and festive greetings):D

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Hi Ben,

They are not sprung, as i think that catenary should (when we get the wires out that is:rolleyes: ) be almost horizontal (unless modelling the MSW route:lol: ) and that in OO or N gauge the panto going up and down like a fiddlers elboe might look silly as it doesnt seem to look right in scale speeds.

So they are semi poseable, and are slightly sprung when up to alleviate any possible snagging on wires / uneveness etc.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Hi David,

The pantographs can be used on our class 86's. in fact i have pictures of both types on Freightliner locomotives.

They will be handy for anyone wanting to do their own thing with kits out there, plus as you say we have a Pendolino and 92 announced so its handy there alos, plus i'm looking at other nice OHL motive power as well for future projects that will need them.:lol:

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Hi Dave,

Really like the look of the pantos, Would you consider doing a cross arm in the future for some Class 87 and I think some Class 86's also used them?

I think Dapol are doing a great job of bringing different things to the modeling front, Hope to see lots more 00 gauge items next year.

Regards

Gary in Tas!

Hi Dave,

Really like the look of the pantos, Would you consider doing a cross arm in the future for some Class 87 and I think some Class 86's also used them?

I think Dapol are doing a great job of bringing different things to the modeling front, Hope to see lots more 00 gauge items next year.

Regards

Gary in Tas!

I was going to suggest the same thing for a possible future expansion of the range!

Really looking forward to the OO OHLE which should be just arriving nicely to co-incide with the erection of my brand new model railway shed and new layout...

Hi everyone,

at Warley we announced (rather quietly it seems:rolleyes: ) scale N and OO gauge pantographs.

Here is a press release:

With our growing dissatisfaction in N gauge pantographs for UK outline models, Dapol have decided to ‘go it alone’ and produce scale N gauge pantographs of both the Brecknell-Willis and Stone Faiveley types for our future class 86 electric locomotive releases and for other models that we are in the planning stages for.

These pantographs will be available separately and have fine etched steel heads, and are easily fitted by customers to upgrade their existing class 86 models. (Please note they will be available separately via the Dapol website as spares (price TBA.)

Dapol are also pleased to announce that we are to manufacture (in line with our expanding OO catenary range) the same 2 types of Pantograph in OO gauge.

However as indicative with the increase in scale we will be adding further details to the models, and hope to have only minor compatibility issues that the modeller should easily be able to change.

Details of our expanding range of OO gauge catenary will be in our 2011 catalogue which will also include our newly announced ‘H’ section 2-4 track gantry kit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-1144-065164300 1292319656_thumb.jpg

As you can see this is the 2 pictures of the completed cad/cam (unless we have missed off something glaring) and i'd appreciate comments regarding them.

Also do any of you have any thoughts on the OO versions (features, details required etc)

Please donrt mail me directly as we are undergoing a server and computer systems change, but please (with the moderators permission of course) feel free to post here for both gauges.

As always cheers (and festive greetings):D

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Dave,

Depending on capabilities for N and OO, have a look here - http://www.old-dalby.com/HSCCP.htm Second pic in the section dynamic tests shows detail of the Head on the Stone Faively AMBR one, I was looking particularly at the "droppers" from where the hinge of the frame meets the head.

Rgds

Mark

Guest jim s-w

Hi Ben,

They are not sprung, as i think that catenary should (when we get the wires out that is:rolleyes: ) be almost horizontal (unless modelling the MSW route:lol: ) and that in OO or N gauge the panto going up and down like a fiddlers elboe might look silly as it doesnt seem to look right in scale speeds.

Absolutely Dave

Real pantographs dont 'bounce' The OLE moves but the main movement you will see between the pan head and the loco roof is actually due to the loco moving on its springs. Aside from deliberate changes in elevation of the OLE for bridges and level crossings the pan stays dead level.

Cheers

Jim

Hi all;

Can echo the request above for a 'Roarer'.....now that would fit nicely with my plans!!!

As to the pan heads, Dapol are to be applauded for their foresight in designing new pans, however....unless the CAD is distorted on my screen the relationship between the pan width and the upper arm seems wrong.....compared to this pic

http://www.old-dalby.com/images/BR-BW_pan_early_small.jpg

I'd also like to think that these would be keenly priced as spares, so that people who put their faith in the early 86s are not disadvantaged. In fact, a real coup would be to talk to C&M and provide a free pan head to those who purchased the limited edition models!!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

http://stusphotos.fotopic.net

I am looking forward to the new pantographs as it means i wont have to get a class 90 one to do my NMT pantograph coach.

I am hoping that the 'other models that we are in the planning stages for' will be an 87 or a 90 or both :rolleyes: as anything earlier there isnt really the stock in dapols catalogue and it would tie up all of the WCML Elecs and would suit the Mk 3's and the Freightliner spinesand are perfect for Kinlet Wharf to update all the old farish locos and Lima hybrid 87s that are the current Power.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

The decent N gauge pantographs are very welcome indeed!

The Farish 87 and 90 are pretty nice models - simple things can be done to improve them (eg attach 90 valances to body) or if you want the ultimate 87 replace the body with one of Mr Taylor's lovely 87 kits. There are things that I would much rather Dapol focussed on rather than more duplication eg EMUs, Pendolino, 92.

• RMweb Premium

The decent N gauge pantographs are very welcome indeed!

Agreed. They should come in very handy and mean I can do something more usefull with the class 90 bodies I have rather than just use them as pantograph donors.

There are things that I would much rather Dapol focussed on rather than more duplication eg EMUs, Pendolino, 92.

Not forgetting the class 26, 56, 121 and 142 that have already been promised...;)

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Quite an old thread this one but does Dave or anyone else know when the OO versions of these are due out??

I seem to remember asking a Dapol Rep early 2012 and being told they were due anytime? I havent seen them anywhere unless they sold out fast? I want to get around 6 packs!

Thanks

Frankly the N gauge ones look rather less than convincing and the lower arms sit at a very odd flat angle with the upper arm giving the impression that its the only section that rises!   Hopefully the 00 version will be better.  The CAD above certainly appear promising.  The BW one looks good and I can see me buying a couple.  However the frames on which they sit - well certainly the BW frame looks nothing like the protos. 

Id also reserve final judgment until Ive seen the frames sitting on their insulators - I dont want another Heljan "pylon" in the sky affair thank you.  :)  These sit low on the roof, they dont sit up and beg.

With Bachmann not currently offering their Class 85 pantograph as a separate spare part the Dapol Stone Faiveley pan might well do very well in the spares market.  If its right.

Edited by ThaneofFife

• 7 years later...