"Bradbury" Open

Oldddudders

Option 2 was not unknown. This was perhaps the case in a batch of wagons built by in 1893 Gloucester RC&W for E. Baily & Son of Frome which proclaimed them to be "Malsters" (missing t). I thinks someone (Slaters?) once made a kit of this one. There must be other examples.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

So will I, although the chap at Dapol might well clasp his hands together and bow low with the words Ah So! So solly, mister.

Indeed one never knows where the artwork for such designs is prepared, here or there. It will look fine whatever, and I can award a prize to any visitor who spots it! One of my Rock Island albums has a pic of a boxcar apparently belonging to the Rock Isalnd, with the caption suggesting it was a bit early and the coffee hadn't quite kicked in.

Anyway I obviously like it, because it now has Kadee #18s installed.

Sarf ' ampton...drop an H, gain one somewhere else, easy come, easy go...

I recall a model Mink in an early MRJ where the builder had placed the word VENTLATED on the end, not in error but because the full transfer wouldnt fit. You had to look really hard to noticesmile.gif

• RMweb Gold

It's obviously South Hampton, New Hampshire - look on a map..........

Glad you got rid of those awful, awful droopy couplers, Ian.

Nothing droopy here, mate - even at 62, although further reference to Hamptons in that context could have the morality police on our case! Have used Kadees for more than 20 years, although admit they look more realistic on US models, where they bear a passing resemblance to the Real Thing. Just as practical on UK 4mm, though!

• RMweb Gold

I just checked and there are no Hampton Wick's in the USA............must be lots of droopy couplers though 'cos of all the Ed ads on the telly........"say no more" etc., etc.

I knew you'd get it! Years ago, when I worked for Silverlink Trains, I was doing some projects at Northampton. I wondered about a joint venture with South West Trains to merge Northampton and Southampton to produce one enormous Hampton. Colleagues expressed concern about a possible objection from Connex, representing the good - if short - burghers of Littlehampton! [With apologies to the Two Ronnies who pioneered that one about 30 years ago!]

I knew you'd get it! Years ago, when I worked for Silverlink Trains, I was doing some projects at Northampton. I wondered about a joint venture with South West Trains to merge Northampton and Southampton to produce one enormous Hampton. Colleagues expressed concern about a possible objection from Connex, representing the good - if short - burghers of Littlehampton! [With apologies to the Two Ronnies who pioneered that one about 30 years ago!]

You have to feel sorry for those who have to write "Littlehampton" as their place of birth!

My placenames dictionary records it as being Suthhamton with two Hs in a document from the year 962. (yes, over 1000 years ago).

Edit: on the other hand, another placenames dictionary gives it as Suðhamton from the same year, with the third letter being an 'eth' representing the voiced sound of 'th' in 'them'

• RMweb Gold

My placenames dictionary records it as being Suthhamton with two Hs in a document from the year 962. (yes, over 1000 years ago).

Edit: on the other hand, nother placenames dictionary gives it as Suðhamton from the same year, with the third letter being an 'eth' representing the voiced sound of 'th' in 'them'

You have just earned a Xmas card from the poor wretch at Dapol! I did wonder whether the spelling might have been elided over the years to reflect the awkwardness of the successive Hs.

We may never know, but as an RTR purchase it sure has some potential to be discussed!

Well phonetically, there is only one H, the 'South' part of the word using 'TH' for the soft dental sound, and the 'hampton' part 'aving a haitch or not depending on 'ow you pronounce it.

I blame Caxton for inventing the printing press and thus standardising spelling - before that, you just made it up.

• RMweb Gold

With reference to the second proposed cause of the error: according to local legend "The Malbororough Arms" in Chester owes its unique name to a signwriter's cock-up. So there is a prototype. ;)

On the plus side, it does make The Malbororough Arms the easiest pub in Britain to Google. B)

Well phonetically, there is only one H, the 'South' part of the word using 'TH' for the soft dental sound, and the 'hampton' part 'aving a haitch or not depending on 'ow you pronounce it.

I blame Caxton for inventing the printing press and thus standardising spelling - before that, you just made it up.

And some still do! (make it up, that is.) And don't get me started on 'haitch' v 'aitch'!!

Archived