Next batch of Class 70's

'orrible, looks much better in the pre unveiling pics! I don't know if it's just me but for some reason they remind me Del boys Reliant Robin, less green more yellow and rehash the logo to Freightliner, New York, Paris, Peckham and I think it'll look great!

• RMweb Gold

There are some really odd design features on the rest of the cab too. Just behind the cab side window there is a protrusion that appears to have the sole point of containing the handrail, or does it hold the door frame? I assume the side windows were canted in to get greater height rather than following the loading gauge more closely like the afore-mentioned handrail enclosure.

I've still not warmed to the cabs design on this machine although the main body looks pretty standard GE in the USA. Big sandboxes on the sides of the tank and lots of access doors. Now if only they'd built the cab more like the US version but with a shorter snout and hidden those anticlimbers with some nearly flush bodywork. This is one engine that badly needed a bit of input from a good Industrial Designer rather than just rounding off the corners by engineers. Take a look at the aggresive nose on the RhB's new Allegra units to see good industrial design.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=302314&nseq=14

See? much better and still looks angry.

Does anyone know what the timetable for these locos is from here on?

I know that one is going to Stoke Gifford for training with Heavyhaul and that the other is going for training elsewhere, but will they have a long period of checks by Network Rail the way that the 60s and 92s did when they were introduced or can I expect to see the Stoke Gifford loco buzzing around Bristol light engine on training runs in the next few days?

Tim

....Take a look at the aggresive nose on the RhB's new Allegra units to see good industrial design.

http://www.railpictu...=302314&nseq=14

See? much better and still looks angry.

Yeah, looks ok, pity about the jumpers though. Couldn't they have hidden them somewhere? biggrin.gif

Jack it was 70001-002 i think 3,4,5 are on their way but can't remember smile.gif

70001 and 2 have arrived at Newport. 70003-6 are the ones due for loading in the US soon. These 6 are the pre-series locos, for initial testing, then the remaining 24 will follow on

cheers

jo

Does anyone know what the timetable for these locos is from here on?

I know that one is going to Stoke Gifford for training with Heavyhaul and that the other is going for training elsewhere, but will they have a long period of checks by Network Rail the way that the 60s and 92s did when they were introduced or can I expect to see the Stoke Gifford loco buzzing around Bristol light engine on training runs in the next few days?

Tim

As it's a brand-new design, from a manufacturer with no experience of supplying the mainline UK companies, I would have thought that it would have had to have gauging checks, EMC and braking tests by one of the Vehicle Acceptance Bodies before being allowed to run under its own power.

• RMweb Gold

As it's a brand-new design, from a manufacturer with no experience of supplying the mainline UK companies, I would have thought that it would have had to have gauging checks, EMC and braking tests by one of the Vehicle Acceptance Bodies before being allowed to run under its own power.

An awful lot of stuff is now done on paper before the kit comes anywhere near the railway and presumably some of the compliance was tested at the factory so we might not see anything like the old BR amount of testing etc before it starts to roll around the network.

Seems to have a distinct lack of British design flair, which is bad enough, but the real shame is that Freightliner probably had little or no choice in investing millions of pounds abroard to aquire new locomotives, no wonder this country is in a recession. I cant quite see why they look so pleased with themselves in the PR shots.

...the real shame is that Freightliner probably had little or no choice in investing millions of pounds abroard to aquire new locomotives....

Realistically, there aren't any British loco manufacturers left, so any orders for new loco's will go abroad. It's been like that for years.

The only manufacturer left in the UK, is the Canadian company Bombardier, who are kept busy building large numbers of Electro and Turbo Stars.

initial reaction was disgust... looked too much like one of the big american trucks. however, its already growing on me. i quite like the rear view windows on the cabs.

actually, just looked through photos on the other links and the design has grown on me even more. strange...

Realistically, there aren't any British loco manufacturers left, so any orders for new loco's will go abroad. It's been like that for years.

The only manufacturer left in the UK, is the Canadian company Bombardier, who are kept busy building large numbers of Electro and Turbo Stars.

I'm not sure that's fair, Brush Traction is still about and overhauling a lot of engines (including the Brush built Euro Shuttle machines) still...

The class 70 us growing on me the more I see it. I might buy one of these to paint in a fictional (more functional) livery. EWS red/gold? ;)

I'm not sure that's fair, Brush Traction is still about and overhauling a lot of engines (including the Brush built Euro Shuttle machines) still...

Oops ! How did I forget Brush ? icon_redface.gif Still British owned too.

I wonder if they still have the capacity to manufacture fleet sizes?

Their last big order was for the Class 9's and the last ones were completed over 7 years ago. Their last diesel loco (class 60) was designed over 20 years ago and production was completed in the early nineties (16 years ago?).

I suppose the overhauling and repair work is a much scaled down operation compared to what they were like 10 to 20 years ago. Also, ramping up a production facilty for a small'ish run of UK gauge diesels may not be the most worthwhile investment, especially so if there's no guarantee of further orders to come later.

from what i have been told, they both went to a depot in bristol, but i cant remember the name of the place at the moment!! one was left there and the other was moved up to the midlands (possibly the Freigthliner container terminal in birmingham but again not good with names) but as the lickey was closed for works it came through Kidderminster and Stourbridge at some ungodly time yesterday morning. something like 03.30. My contact that I have had no idea that it was coming up until 02.30 and decided against waking me up which was the right idea.

Alistair

from what i have been told, they both went to a depot in bristol, but i cant remember the name of the place at the moment!! one was left there and the other was moved up to the midlands (possibly the Freigthliner container terminal in birmingham but again not good with names) but as the lickey was closed for works it came through Kidderminster and Stourbridge at some ungodly time yesterday morning. something like 03.30. My contact that I have had no idea that it was coming up until 02.30 and decided against waking me up which was the right idea.

Alistair

As I type this they should have not long arrived at Stoke Gifford yard (basically Bristol Parkway) with 66585 as motive power. Either later tonight, or tomorrow night, 70001 will head north to Lawley St. Not sure if it'll stay here, or be moved again for crew training, as I've also heard of it heading to Ipswich and Leeds. All from reliable gen sources too

cheers

jo