Next batch of Class 70's

I guess I'm on my own here but I really like them! They've got a real brutish, utilitarian look about them which will only improve once they've got a bit of grime on them. They've certainly got... erm, trying to word this right for a family forum... 'Politely get out of the way' value. wink.gif

Pix

I guess I'm on my own here but I really like them! They've got a real brutish, utilitarian look about them which will only improve once they've got a bit of grime on them. They've certainly got... erm, trying to word this right for a family forum... 'Politely get out of the way' value. wink.gif

Pix

I think I like em - at least they are not a 66! ( I will see who is the first of my mates to multi one up to a shed though)

Hopefully they will be a success and will pave the way forward for GE in Europe.

I like the "Ugly Betty" look, but then I liked the Colas livery when it first came out.. jaw-dropping.gif There's no accounting for taste.

Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh.

70001 was moved to Lawley Street by 66585 (info from WRgen)

70002 still at Stoke Gifford

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

oh no you didn't, it looks nothing like an American, it looks like a messed up export, which it is.

Designed and built in America, Why didn't they use a British design team to do one it would looked far better than that alien that has arrived.

Terry :P :P :P

• RMweb Gold

Having liked the Class 58s from long before they appeared on the rails (or even in building as I saw one of the very first pictures of a model mock-up of the Class while on a course at Derby School just as the design was being finalised) I am quite happy with a lot of the appearance of the new Class 70 - a move away from the 'carbody' style is an excellent idea when it comes to maintenance and it should avoid GE 'doing a GM' and having to cut a hole in a bodyside panel in order to add lub oil to the engine.

But the nose ends are absolutely dreadful - they will probably attract and hold dirt faster than the experimental finish (a sort of 'electronic grass', but very stiff) applied to the nose end of an EE Type 1/Class 20 in the lateish 1960s and will be equally difficult to clean. And the cabs are going to get pretty hot unless they have very efficient aircon units.

The two new GE Class 70s arrived at the Freightliner Yard at Bristol Parkway early this morning - 3am apparently - 02 was dropped off whilst 01 continued to Basford Hall for trials. O2 has been at Parkway all day and is due for trials on the Portbury/Avonmouth Dock to Rudgely coal trains. I understand the trials to Rudgely will start on Friday this week, initially running via the Severn Tunnel and the Welsh Marches to Rudgely. Trials will then switch to the Lickey Incline route.

post-6970-12579623618414_thumb.jpg

post-6970-12579623818564_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

If I wanted a pic I might consider the WCML or feeder between Lawley Street and Crewe tomorrow or Friday around 13:00 - 13:30 at Crewe (rev) - allegedly, thanks to anon but don't shoot if plans change.

• RMweb Premium

A curiosity here is that the 70s are being moved from the factory at Erie, Pennsylvania to port on flat cars and not on their own wheels. The Class 66s are moved on their own wheels...

Perhaps GE weren't confident that the bogies and wheelsets would stand up to being hauled to the docks?;)

I travel over the branchline at Portbury 4 or 5 times a week and I usually see DBS 66s with either loaded or empty wagons and on the way home FLHH usually had a fully loaded rake ready to depart at about 22:00 but I haven't seen nothing for six weeks now.

I would love to see the new Class 70 sometime on my travels to and from work but when though ?

Nice picsicon_thumbsup2.gif

We (the US) spawned that??? And no handrails along the sides.

Yea, its stupid. But, then Orvil's older brother (shape wise), the 'Bone' clas 58, it didn't have handrails, nor does the 70s half brother, the 20..... strange..... But they have hand rails by the cab doors..... very silly. I would love to see Orvil in Colas Rail livery, or DRS compass.....

• RMweb Gold

As I was working my train into new street this morning I noticed one of the class 70's in lawley st freightliner terminal and I must say it does look a little better than the pictures I've seen already !! Might try for a photo on my next trip back up to new street?

Their original plan was for the Class 68.... very strange. I prefer 68 as well.... suits it more.

Been photoshopping recently, and come up with this, a DRS compass liveried 70 (70101)

The photo used, is copyright to Gareth Bayer ?© who has kindly given me permission to post this image

post-2850-12580228466411_thumb.jpg

Want a livery request? Just ask, and I shall see what I can do.

• Like 1

Want a livery request? Just ask, and I shall see what I can do.

How about Large Logo Blue or Triple Grey I think they may look good in those or even Railfreight Red Stripe like the original 58's.

I have to admit, very quietly though, that the Freightiner green livery looks rather good on them....Shhhhh don't tell everyone that I said that ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

I have to admit, very quietly though, that the Freightiner green livery looks rather good on them....Shhhhh don't tell everyone that I said that ;) ;)

What would the old Freightliner livery (as on the 66's ) look like, rather than the new "swirly" version.

Try that one please!